Swazoo (was Serving (big) files securely)

Swazoo (was Serving (big) files securely)

Janko Mivšek-2
Hi guys!

Swazoo has output and input streaming support since 2008 in version 2.2
and since then serve reliably (at least on VisualWorks) files like Word
and Excel attachments in production.

There were some reports about incomlete file downloads on Squeak/Pharo
Swazoo, which I'll probably encounter soon because current project I'm
working in is on Pharo.

With Göran as he already said we had a nice competition to further
optimize our streamng support and resulting improvements are included in
latest 2.3 beta, which is, well, still beta but anyway used in
production. Beta status has still because WebSocket support is not yet
finished (upgraded to a final WebSocket standard).

Streaming means that you don't read a whole file into memory first, but
stream directly from a file to a TCP socket for output streaming, or
vice versa for input one (file upload).

More in next email...

Best regards
Janko

S, [hidden email] piše:

> http://forum.world.st/SocketStream-changes-for-4-1-too-late-td1680213.html
>
> -- Sent from my HP TouchPad

> On Feb 7, 2012 10:44, Paolo Bonzini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/06/2012 10:53 PM, Göran Krampe wrote:
>>>>

>> I find this odd - me and Janko competed a while back on how to improve
>> file upload speed (I implemented SocketStream and added support for
>> "chunkwise reading" + KomHttpServer, and Janko using Swazoo IIRC) and we
>> both ended up writing properly "writing on disk as it streams"
>> implementations that easily handled 1Gb files without growing the image
>> and without going slower.
>>
>> So you should definitely ask Janko. :)
>
> Did that ever end up in a stable release?
>
> Paolo

Re: Swazoo (was Serving (big) files securely)

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 02/07/2012 02:36 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Beta status has still because WebSocket support is not yet
> finished (upgraded to a final WebSocket standard).

I'll kindly remind you about SCGI support and buffering speedups. :)

Paolo

2012/2/7 Paolo Bonzini <[hidden email]>
On 02/07/2012 02:36 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
Beta status has still because WebSocket support is not yet
finished (upgraded to a final WebSocket standard).

I'll kindly remind you about SCGI support and buffering speedups. :)

Not forgotten :)

Janko

Paolo

Re: Swazoo (was Serving (big) files securely)

gokr
I wrote a SimpleCGI impl a while back called Blackfoot on SS, very small codebase.

regards, Göran

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad