Symbol and Scanner

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Hello,

I wonder why the method isLiteralSymbol: is in the Scanner methodDict
instead of the Symbol (or maybe String) one ?

Moreover there is no reference to self or variable in this method ...

And due to this method, there is a dependence between Symbol and
Scanner (and then the Compiler)

Thank you for answering another one of my noob questions ^^

Ben

Re: Symbol and Scanner

Stéphane Ducasse
I see well your problem.
We want to have symbol without getting with it the parser and compiler.
three questions
        - can we package isLiteralSymbol: with compiler?
        - what are the senders?
        - else do we have an alternate implementation not relying on scanner?

Stef

> Hello,
>
> I wonder why the method isLiteralSymbol: is in the Scanner methodDict instead of the Symbol (or maybe String) one ?
>
> Moreover there is no reference to self or variable in this method ...
>

> And due to this method, there is a dependence between Symbol and Scanner (and then the Compiler)
>

> Thank you for answering another one of my noob questions ^^
>

> Ben

Re: Symbol and Scanner

On Nov 24, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I see well your problem.
> We want to have symbol without getting with it the parser and
> compiler.
> three questions
> - can we package isLiteralSymbol: with compiler?
> - what are the senders?
> - else do we have an alternate implementation not relying on scanner?
>
> Stef

I've see with Marcus how to reverse the dependencies to have Symbol
without Scanner.

I've posted the cs on Bug Entry, but I can't charge the cs, dunno
why ...

Ben