Symbol equals String?

Holger Freyther
Hi all,

I'm trying to get PetitParser working on GNU Smalltalk and one bug I
encountered was that in Sequeak "abc" = #abc is true, but false in GST.

Anyone knows what ANSI Smalltalk says about that?

Re: Symbol equals String?

Lukas Renggli
> I'm trying to get PetitParser working on GNU Smalltalk and one bug I
> encountered was that in Sequeak "abc" = #abc is true, but false in GST.
>
> Anyone knows what ANSI Smalltalk says about that?

I don't think that ANSI says anything about that, but the behavior of
Pharo/Squeak is definitely a portability issue with other Smalltalk.
I've already fixed a few occurrences of this problem together with
Paolo a few months ago. Unfortunately this problem is kind of hard to
detect from Pharo and a new one must have creeped in.

So let me know where exactly the problem occurs and I can try to commit a fix.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Symbol equals String?

Holger Freyther
On 08/14/2010 04:39 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

Hi Lukas,

> So let me know where exactly the problem occurs and I can try to commit a fix.

I planned to contact you in private on which is the best way to send you a
diff/changeset/monticello changeset.

The problem I encoutered was in the PetitParser-lr.190.mcz and in
PPCompositeParser>>initializeStartingAt:. The collect is working on asSymbol,
while the reject is trying to compare things as asString. I have fixed things
locally to make both work on symbols.

With this change I have many test cases passing, but also some failures and
VisualGST bugs to resolve first.

Re: Symbol equals String?

Lukas Renggli
>> So let me know where exactly the problem occurs and I can try to commit a fix.
>
> I planned to contact you in private on which is the best way to send you a
> diff/changeset/monticello changeset.

Just send it to a mailing-list. Most discussion on PetitParser is
going on in the moose-list, but here is fine too.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Symbol equals String?

Holger Freyther
On 08/14/2010 05:41 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Just send it to a mailing-list. Most discussion on PetitParser is
> going on in the moose-list, but here is fine too.

Hi again,
so I opted for a ChangeSet (never done that before), I have attached it to the
mail. Do you prefer any other way?

regards
        holger

PetitParser-asSymbol.1.cs (1K) Download Attachment