Symbol server

Colin Putney, DeepCove Labs (YVR)
Hi all,

I'm trying to debug some VM-level out-of-memory crashes. Anybody know
where the Cincom symbol server is these days? I've tried
<http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/downloads/symbols>, but it redirects to
the "Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs" page. Or is there somewhere else
I can get the PDB files for the Windows debug VM?

Thanks,

Colin

--
Colin Putney
Developer

Re: Symbol server

Alan Knight-2
That link works for me. It gives me the message that I'm not a debugger, so go away, but that's what it normally does.

At 05:14 PM 2010-05-03, Colin Putney, DeepCove Labs \(YVR\) wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to debug some VM-level out-of-memory crashes. Anybody know
where the Cincom symbol server is these days? I've tried
< http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/downloads/symbols>, but it redirects to
the "Cincom Smalltalk Community Blogs" page. Or is there somewhere else
I can get the PDB files for the Windows debug VM?

Thanks,

Colin

--
Colin Putney
Developer
Deep Cove Labs

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: Symbol server

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Ditto from a BlackBerry here.

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

Re: Symbol server

Colin Putney, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

Hi Alan,

Something strange is going on. I get that same page if I open the url with a browser, but the debugger can’t get the symbols it needs. So, digging a bit deeper, here’s what I’ve done :

1.       Clear the symbol cache.

2.       Start my image in the debug version of vwnt.ext

3.       Attach to that process with the debugger. As the debugger goes about resolving symbols for all the libraries in the process, I can see cache entries being added in the cache directory.

4.       The debugger shows “Cannot find or open the PDB file” for vwnt.exe. It reports the symbol load information as the following:

C:\Development\Testing\Releases\v7362b131\vwnt.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

l:\license\cake\mar10.1\build\hps-build\build\nt\norm\vwnt.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\Users\colin\AppData\Local\Temp\SymbolCache\vwnt.pdb\4bb228781\vwnt.pdb: PDB format is obsolete.

C:\Windows\symbols\exe\vwnt.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\Windows\exe\vwnt.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\Windows\vwnt.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

5.       Verify that there is indeed a cache entry for vwnt.pdb:
C:\Users\colin\AppData\Local\Temp\SymbolCache\vwnt.pdb\4bb228781\vwnt.pdb

It contains the same HTML as http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView

6.       Point a browser to http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/downloads/symbols/vwnt.pdb/4bb228781/vwnt.pdb. I get an (apparently) valid PDB file, containing “Microsoft C/C++ program database 2.00” followed by binary data.

If I manually download the PDB files and preload the cache, the debugger seems to be happy. This is enough to get me going again, but something ain’t right. This is a fresh install of VisualStudio 2010, BTW, could be that the server only supports VS 2008.

Colin

--

Colin Putney

Developer

Deep Cove Labs

Re: Symbol server

Andres Valloud-6
Colin, if you see things like

Out of memory.
mmScavenge.c:2300

then use the -xq switch.  Before exiting, the VM will write out a file
called stack.txt which will likely point to the cause of the problem.

Andres.

Re: Symbol server

Colin Putney, DeepCove Labs (YVR)
Hi Andres,

That's exactly the problem I'm seeing, thanks.

Colin

--
Colin Putney
Developer