Synchronizing AIDA ports with upstream squeak code & MC2

Synchronizing AIDA ports with upstream squeak code & MC2

Jan Vrany-2
Hi,

I would like to open an discussion about synchronizing
AIDA ports (namely Smalltalk/X one :-) with master branch.

We did initial port by downloading monticello package,
extracting source.st, doing some sed magic, filing-in
the transformed code, doing some method rewriter magic
and finally do the rest by hand. As you can imagine, such
process is extremely boring and - what is much worse - error-prone.
When a new version of AIDA (Swazoo, Sport, Scribo, ...) will be
released...you know what I'm talking about.

How the other ports are kept up-to-date?

What about switching to Monticello 2 and having one repository
to keep all AIDA/Swazoo/whatever code? We are working on
MC2 port to Smalltalk/X and I hope it will finished in
say two months. There are at least two reasons for that:
 1) Colin did a great work and having real projects in MC2
    would help to spread usage of MC2
 2) Gemstone guys did that with Seaside & Monticello. They
    claim that having same version control system is reasonable
    way to go.

Any comments/suggestions/ideas?

Cheers, Jan

Re: Synchronizing AIDA ports with upstream squeak code & MC2

Janko Mivšek
Hi Jan,

Introducing a common SCM like MC2 is for sure the best solution and I'd
like to thank Colin to develop it with portability in mind.

I heard that VisualWorks port is also planned or even underway? And
Gemstone guys are supporting the idea as well. I don't know about
Dolphin, GST and VA guys, but they will follow the train for sure when
they will see all advantages.

Nico also plans to support MC2 on SPM (Squeak/Smalltalk Project Manager)
so, your idea to port MC2 to Smalltalk/X is for sure a right one and
destined to success.

In the meantime we don't have better way to sync versions to other
Smalltalks than making diffs and manually or semi-manually copying them
around. It is not always boring, sometimes you get some new cool idea in
the process :)

Also note that main development is doing on Squeak and VW simultaneously
  and it is synced from time to time. At least on VW all new stuff also
goes immediately to production which ensures the high quality of all
enhancements. Of course this also requires strong discipline and
thorough testing but it is worth. Hidden problems are not propagated
around to your Aidas but caught as early as possible!

Best regards
Janko

Jan Vrany wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to open an discussion about synchronizing
> AIDA ports (namely Smalltalk/X one :-) with master branch.
>
> We did initial port by downloading monticello package,
> extracting source.st, doing some sed magic, filing-in
> the transformed code, doing some method rewriter magic
> and finally do the rest by hand. As you can imagine, such
> process is extremely boring and - what is much worse - error-prone.
> When a new version of AIDA (Swazoo, Sport, Scribo, ...) will be
> released...you know what I'm talking about.
>
> How the other ports are kept up-to-date?
>
> What about switching to Monticello 2 and having one repository
> to keep all AIDA/Swazoo/whatever code? We are working on
> MC2 port to Smalltalk/X and I hope it will finished in
> say two months. There are at least two reasons for that:
>  1) Colin did a great work and having real projects in MC2
>     would help to spread usage of MC2
>  2) Gemstone guys did that with Seaside & Monticello. They
>     claim that having same version control system is reasonable
>     way to go.
>
> Any comments/suggestions/ideas?
>
> Cheers, Jan

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Synchronizing AIDA ports with upstream squeak code & MC2

Jan Vrany-2
Hi,

> Nico also plans to support MC2 on SPM (Squeak/Smalltalk Project Manager)
> so, your idea to port MC2 to Smalltalk/X is for sure a right one and
> destined to success.

Fine, this is what want to hear.
Right now we have all 206 of 210 MC2 test passing :-), but
still it is a long way to production.

Jan