Syntax Error: Message pattern expected

jb

Syntax Error: Message pattern expected

jb
Hi everyone!

I get this error when I try to load a package from my Monticello rep. I have never seen this before and have not a clue where to look for the mistake.

The error message window show:
Object <none>

Any hints what to do?

Johannes

Re: Syntax Error: Message pattern expected

alistairgrant
On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 12:22:38PM -0700, jb wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I get this error when I try to load a package from my Monticello rep. I have
> never seen this before and have not a clue where to look for the mistake.
>
> The error message window show:
> Object <none>
>
> Any hints what to do?
>
> Johannes

Someone may recognise this and be able to answer it straight off, but
otherwise...

Supply:

- Pharo version and image number (World Menu -> System -> About)
- OS
- PharoDebug.log (if possible delete the old version and recreate the
  error)

:-)

Cheers,
Alistair

jb

Re: Syntax Error: Message pattern expected

jb

> Am 02.08.2017 um 21:44 schrieb Alistair Grant <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 12:22:38PM -0700, jb wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> I get this error when I try to load a package from my Monticello rep. I have
>> never seen this before and have not a clue where to look for the mistake.
>>
>> The error message window show:
>> Object <none>
>>
>> Any hints what to do?
>>
>> Johannes
>
> Someone may recognise this and be able to answer it straight off, but
> otherwise...
>
> Supply:
>
> - Pharo version and image number (World Menu -> System -> About)
Pharo4.0
Latest update: #40626
> - OS
macOs 10.12.6
> - PharoDebug.log (if possible delete the old version and recreate the
>  error)
PharoDebug.log is empty

BTW, I tried to do the same with
Pharo 6.0
Latest update: #60508

Same behavior

Johannes

Re: Syntax Error: Message pattern expected

alistairgrant
Hi Johannes,

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 08:59:33PM +0000, Johannes Brauer wrote:

> > Am 02.08.2017 um 21:44 schrieb Alistair Grant <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 12:22:38PM -0700, jb wrote:
> >> Hi everyone!
> >>
> >> I get this error when I try to load a package from my Monticello rep. I have
> >> never seen this before and have not a clue where to look for the mistake.
> >>
> >> The error message window show:
> >> Object <none>
> >>
> >> Any hints what to do?
> >>
> >> Johannes
> >
> > Someone may recognise this and be able to answer it straight off, but
> > otherwise...
> >
> > Supply:
> >
> > - Pharo version and image number (World Menu -> System -> About)
> Pharo4.0
> Latest update: #40626
> > - OS
> macOs 10.12.6
> > - PharoDebug.log (if possible delete the old version and recreate the
> >  error)
> PharoDebug.log is empty
>
> BTW, I tried to do the same with
> Pharo 6.0
> Latest update: #60508
>
> Same behavior

One more piece of information I should have requested:

Steps to reproduce (or even better, code that reproduces) the problem.

Cheers,
Alistair

Re: Syntax Error: Message pattern expected

Ben Coman
Hi Johannes,

Is your Monticello repo public?  Perhaps someone else could try to load the package to check something in it is not corrupt?

cheers -ben

jb

Re: Syntax Error: Message pattern expected

jb
Hi Ben, hi Alistair!

Thank for your adjustment. In the meantime I looked backward in the version history and I found an older version which I can load without problems. Then I looked at the changes of the next higher version (producing the syntax error) and I found the following problem:
Indeed, there is no message pattern, I have not a clue how something like that can happen. The question is: Can the repository be repaired?

Johannes

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 06:04:37PM +0000, Johannes Brauer wrote:
> Hi Ben, hi Alistair!
>
> Thank for your adjustment. In the meantime I looked backward in the version
> history and I found an older version which I can load without problems. Then I
> looked at the changes of the next higher version (producing the syntax error)
> and I found the following problem:
> [cid]
> Indeed, there is no message pattern, I have not a clue how something like that
> can happen. The question is: Can the repository be repaired?

I've never really become familiar with mcz packages as I much prefer
git, so started using Iceberg as soon as possible, so someone else may
have a much better answer, however...

It may be easier to load the previous version and manually apply the
changes in the latest version.  If not...

.mcz packages are just zip archives of a particular structure.  You can
unzip the archive, find the corrupted method definition, manually fix
it, and re-zip the archive.  It should then load.

Cheers,
Alistair

jb

Re: Syntax Error: Message pattern expected

jb
I have got an image with my application running, so I could repair my rep.

So, we can close the „issue“.

Cheers
Johannes

> Am 03.08.2017 um 20:45 schrieb Alistair Grant <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 06:04:37PM +0000, Johannes Brauer wrote:
>> Hi Ben, hi Alistair!
>>
>> Thank for your adjustment. In the meantime I looked backward in the version
>> history and I found an older version which I can load without problems. Then I
>> looked at the changes of the next higher version (producing the syntax error)
>> and I found the following problem:
>> [cid]
>> Indeed, there is no message pattern, I have not a clue how something like that
>> can happen. The question is: Can the repository be repaired?
>
> I've never really become familiar with mcz packages as I much prefer
> git, so started using Iceberg as soon as possible, so someone else may
> have a much better answer, however...
>
> It may be easier to load the previous version and manually apply the
> changes in the latest version.  If not...
>
> .mcz packages are just zip archives of a particular structure.  You can
> unzip the archive, find the corrupted method definition, manually fix
> it, and re-zip the archive.  It should then load.
>
> Cheers,
> Alistair
>

>> Johannes
>>
>>    Am 03.08.2017 um 16:38 schrieb Ben Coman <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>    Hi Johannes,
>>
>>    Is your Monticello repo public?  Perhaps someone else could try to load the
>>    package to check something in it is not corrupt?
>>
>>    cheers -ben
>>
>>    On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]>
>>    wrote:
>>
>>        Hi Johannes,

>>        rep. I have
>>        mistake.

>>        but

>>> Pharo4.0
>>> Latest update: #40626
>>> macOs 10.12.6
>>        the
>>> PharoDebug.log is empty
>>>
>>> BTW, I tried to do the same with
>>> Pharo 6.0
>>> Latest update: #60508
>>>
>>> Same behavior
>>
>>        One more piece of information I should have requested:
>>
>>        Steps to reproduce (or even better, code that reproduces) the problem.
>>
>>        Cheers,
>>        Alistair

Re: Syntax Error: Message pattern expected

Stephane Ducasse-3
It may happen that you are trying to load an old package with a syntax error.
We should improve the compiler infrastructure because I hate such error not
You can bring the menu on the syntax error window and bring the debugger.
(yes it is totally hidden and I hate it too).

Stef