Syntax change for JavaScript statements?

Syntax change for JavaScript statements?

Nicolas Petton
Hey guys,

I wanted to change the JS statement syntax in amber to free it for
pragmas :)

I thought about using `return foo`, what do you think?

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Syntax change for JavaScript statements?

Herby Vojčík
Sometimes it is not just return, it can contain full JS code. Or did I not understand something?

Herby

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I wanted to change the JS statement syntax in amber to free it for
> pragmas :)
>
> I thought about using `return foo`, what do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

Re: Syntax change for JavaScript statements?

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Nico,

I thought about that issue, too.

What would you think of turning JS statements into Pragmas?
Something similar to <JS: here be Javascript code>?

Best,
Manfred

Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I wanted to change the JS statement syntax in amber to free it for
> pragmas :)
>
> I thought about using `return foo`, what do you think?

Ah, you mean the backticks. Well, they are used in ES6.

I think either use pragme <js> and treat all the rest of method as JS
code, or something like <[ return foo ]> or <{ return foo }>. Or other
alternatives, but all of "open/close" solutions have problem with
escaping the ending should it appear in JS code.

> Cheers,
> Nico

Herby

Andy Burnett wrote:
> I think that is a neat idea.  Maybe, at some point in the future, one
> might return other types within pragmas e.g. <SVG: ... > etc.

No need to have pragma for SVG (nor HTML for that matter), you can use
snippets for pieces of HTML (or inline SVG).

> Cheers
> Andy

Herby

Re: Syntax change for JavaScript statements?

Nicolas Petton
I like the pragma idea, but then it's a 2 steps change, first change the
JS inlining syntax to something else, then implement pragmas, then use
them for inlining JS code.

Nico

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> I like the pragma idea, but then it's a 2 steps change, first change the
> JS inlining syntax to something else, then implement pragmas, then use
> them for inlining JS code.
>
> Nico
>
> Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  writes:
>
>> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> I wanted to change the JS statement syntax in amber to free it for
>>> pragmas :)
>>>
>>> I thought about using `return foo`, what do you think?
>> Ah, you mean the backticks. Well, they are used in ES6.

Now that I think about it, it is still possible to use backticks, if you
accept the fact that you must double it inside (the same as with
strings, like 'Don''t').

All in all, lots of options to choose from. :-/

Herby