classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Syntax errors in breakpoint conditions

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Since I can't type well, I often create typos. This is especially bad in the Breakpoint dialogue, since the expression gets compiled after the dialogue is closed and the error message offers no specific information.

e.g. I just made the following "Stop when true" expression/typo:
(clientObj isKindOf: BloclContextTemplate)

The result is a new dialogue telling me:
Configuration Error: The trigger expression does not compile.
The breakpoint will not fire unless the trigger expression is corrected.

It would be a welcome enhancement to compile the expression before closing the window and specifying what the compile error revealed. A short expression such as this is relatively easily debugged. I have had substantially longer ones, and they are bears to figure out!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/8a2c8493-af7d-460a-8061-3f5585a99932%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Syntax errors in breakpoint conditions

Seth Berman
Thanks Richard,

We actually took a few minutes discussing this at our last team meeting.
There wasn't really consensus on the effort -> value of doing this particular item at this time.
But thank you for offering it up, your opinion is, of course, valued very much.

- Seth

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 5:39:43 PM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
Since I can't type well, I often create typos. This is especially bad in the Breakpoint dialogue, since the expression gets compiled after the dialogue is closed and the error message offers no specific information.

e.g. I just made the following "Stop when true" expression/typo:
(clientObj isKindOf: BloclContextTemplate)

The result is a new dialogue telling me:
Configuration Error: The trigger expression does not compile.
The breakpoint will not fire unless the trigger expression is corrected.

It would be a welcome enhancement to compile the expression before closing the window and specifying what the compile error revealed. A short expression such as this is relatively easily debugged. I have had substantially longer ones, and they are bears to figure out!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/cdc5039f-3307-48a3-aff5-e8ad8b345d21%40googlegroups.com.