Syntax errors while loading a package

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
After fixing a syntax error while loading a package, how do you resume loading successfully?

Motivation: I was loading the HTML package from http://www.squeaksource.com/htmlcssparser.  I got a syntax error because "-1" was typed "- 1".  I fixed and accepted it in the window that came up, but the load got messed up - specifically many classes had methods that showed in the browser, but the category pane showed no methods.  At this point, I couldn't save the package, or even merge, because MC was reporting errors.  I removed all the offending classes, and then merged, using everything from the original package except the method I had fixed.

It seemed too complicated.  What is the best way to handle the above situation?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Syntax errors while loading a package

Schwab,Wilhelm K
This is a fairly big usability hassle, but I have typically been doing even worse things to the code (SIF, followed by search/replace with the regex package), so I typically have gone hunting for the snag (usually an improperly terminated cascade, which Dolphin 5.x happily compiles, hence the large number of them in my code), exit Pharo, re-run, re-load and look for the next error.  It's a pleasant surprise when it finally loads cleanly.  It would be better to have a clean way to cope with these things.

Bill