Syntax highlighting changed in 10500?

Simon Denier-3

Why did the colors change in syntax highlighting for 10500?

Especially, there is no more color-based discrimination between a class name, a local variable, a parameter, or an instance variable. I think it is a regression.

--
 Simon

Re: Syntax highlighting changed in 10500?

Damien Cassou
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Especially, there is no more color-based discrimination between a class name, a local variable, a parameter, or an instance variable. I think it is a regression.

I think these are Lukas Renggli's color. We have to choose what colors we want.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Syntax highlighting changed in 10500?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Can someone attach both screenshots or explain me how to test both ?

Thank you very much.

Mariano

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Especially, there is no more color-based discrimination between a class name, a local variable, a parameter, or an instance variable. I think it is a regression.

I think these are Lukas Renggli's color. We have to choose what colors we want.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Syntax highlighting changed in 10500?

Lukas Renggli
The syntax highlighting should be made a preference with our shiny new
preference framework.

I don't want any other coloring, I am using that color scheme for over
15 years now.

Power to the people!

Lukas

2009/12/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Can someone attach both screenshots or explain me how to test both ?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Mariano
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Especially, there is no more color-based discrimination between a class
>> > name, a local variable, a parameter, or an instance variable. I think it is
>> > a regression.
>>
>> I think these are Lukas Renggli's color. We have to choose what colors we
>> want.
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>> popular by not having them." James Iry

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Syntax highlighting changed in 10500?

Stéphane Ducasse
you are getting old :)

Now distinguish class from variables is nice.

> The syntax highlighting should be made a preference with our shiny new
> preference framework.
>
> I don't want any other coloring, I am using that color scheme for over
> 15 years now.
>
> Power to the people!
>
> Lukas

Re: Syntax highlighting changed in 10500?

Tudor Girba
Hi,

There are two things that I like very much in the previous color scheme.

1. the local variables and the parameters were displayed with gray and
instance variables and classes were displayed with black. This had the
nice advantage of distinguishing both the classes and the instance
variables in one glance.

You could argue that this introduces a new visual variable, but the
choice of the coloring was actually quite intuitive and with basically
no cost:
- all variables are shown with shades of gray (thus requiring only one
mental mapping), and
- the darkness is used to show the "prominence" of a variable: the
larger the scope the darker the variable

2. The other nice thing in the previous coloring is the coloring of
matching parentheses. This is quite nice when using blocks for
scripting.

Cheers,
Doru

On 14 Dec 2009, at 20:11, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> you are getting old :)
>
> Now distinguish class from variables is nice.
>
>> The syntax highlighting should be made a preference with our shiny
>> new
>> preference framework.
>>
>> I don't want any other coloring, I am using that color scheme for
>> over
>> 15 years now.
>>
>> Power to the people!
>>
>> Lukas

www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

On 14 déc. 2009, at 19:50, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> The syntax highlighting should be made a preference with our shiny new
> preference framework.
>
> I don't want any other coloring, I am using that color scheme for over
> 15 years now.
>
> Power to the people!

Yep, let's do some preferences for that. How do we start? :)

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 14 déc. 2009, at 19:50, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> The syntax highlighting should be made a preference with our shiny new
> preference framework.
>
> I don't want any other coloring, I am using that color scheme for over
> 15 years now.
>
> Power to the people!

Yep, let's do some preferences for that. How do we start? :)

Maybe creating a issue and cc alain :)

That would be awesome :)   I remember doing this in VisualAge at my work. Each people could have their own likes.
You could also change the "background" colors of the panel. So, for example you could put black background with letters in white, etc and that configuration seemed to be very cool to rest your sight (sorry if I cannot express myself in english).

> Lukas
>
> 2009/12/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Can someone attach both screenshots or explain me how to test both ?
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>
>> Mariano
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> I think these are Lukas Renggli's color. We have to choose what colors we
>>> want.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>>> popular by not having them." James Iry

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

 Simon

Re: Syntax highlighting changed in 10500?

Lukas Renggli
> Maybe creating a issue and cc alain :)
>
> That would be awesome :)   I remember doing this in VisualAge at my work.
> Each people could have their own likes.
> You could also change the "background" colors of the panel. So, for example
> you could put black background with letters in white, etc and that
> configuration seemed to be very cool to rest your sight (sorry if I cannot
> express myself in english).

The problem is that the text editor does not really support background
color. I have an extension that does it, but it looks ugly.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe creating a issue and cc alain :)
>
> That would be awesome :)   I remember doing this in VisualAge at my work.
> Each people could have their own likes.
> You could also change the "background" colors of the panel. So, for example
> you could put black background with letters in white, etc and that
> configuration seemed to be very cool to rest your sight (sorry if I cannot
> express myself in english).

The problem is that the text editor does not really support background
color.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I have an extension that does it, but it looks ugly.

What looks ugly ? the code of the text editor ? Why looks ugly ? because of the font's color ?  Any screenshot?

Cheers,

Mariano

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Syntax highlighting changed in 10500?

Lukas Renggli
1. The CharacterScanner skips parts with white-spaces. I couldn't
figure out how to get a continuously filled area.

2. The order of the text annotations in the text is more or less
random, so you if you have overlapping styles things get
unpredictable.

3. The cursor is drawn first, then the text with the annotations. So
if you have a background color it disappears behind the rectangle.

Nothing insolvable, but very hard to fix without changing the complete system.

Lukas

2009/12/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Maybe creating a issue and cc alain :)
>> >
>> > That would be awesome :)   I remember doing this in VisualAge at my
>> > work.
>> > Each people could have their own likes.
>> > You could also change the "background" colors of the panel. So, for
>> > example
>> > you could put black background with letters in white, etc and that
>> > configuration seemed to be very cool to rest your sight (sorry if I
>> > cannot
>> > express myself in english).
>>
>> The problem is that the text editor does not really support background
>> color.
>
> :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
>

>> I have an extension that does it, but it looks ugly.
>>

> What looks ugly ? the code of the text editor ? Why looks ugly ? because of
> the font's color ?  Any screenshot?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano
>

>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Screen shot 2009-12-14 at 23.10.56 .png (9K) Download Attachment

2009/12/14 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
1. The CharacterScanner skips parts with white-spaces. I couldn't
figure out how to get a continuously filled area.

2. The order of the text annotations in the text is more or less
random, so you if you have overlapping styles things get
unpredictable.

3. The cursor is drawn first, then the text with the annotations. So
if you have a background color it disappears behind the rectangle.

Nothing insolvable, but very hard to fix without changing the complete system.

hahahahahha. OK....now I understand why the "ugly"  :(

Maybe someone can give you a hint on this.

What a pity :(

Cheers,

Mariano

Lukas

2009/12/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Maybe creating a issue and cc alain :)
>> >
>> > That would be awesome :)   I remember doing this in VisualAge at my
>> > work.
>> > Each people could have their own likes.
>> > You could also change the "background" colors of the panel. So, for
>> > example
>> > you could put black background with letters in white, etc and that
>> > configuration seemed to be very cool to rest your sight (sorry if I
>> > cannot
>> > express myself in english).
>>
>> The problem is that the text editor does not really support background
>> color.
>
> :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
>

>> I have an extension that does it, but it looks ugly.
>>

> What looks ugly ? the code of the text editor ? Why looks ugly ? because of
> the font's color ?  Any screenshot?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano
>

>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Syntax highlighting changed in 10500?

Alain Plantec-4
Mariano Martinez Peck a écrit :

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     On 14 déc. 2009, at 19:50, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>     > The syntax highlighting should be made a preference with our
>     shiny new
>     > preference framework.
>     >
>     > I don't want any other coloring, I am using that color scheme
>     for over
>     > 15 years now.
>     >
>     > Power to the people!
>
>     Yep, let's do some preferences for that. How do we start? :)
>

> Maybe creating a issue and cc alain :)
Hello !

I guess we can do that

when the core will not contain any Preferences reference
and my package comments reviewed
and the settings I've coded also documented
and a documentation written
I will be happy to help. :)

For now, the core still contains a lot of Preferences references :(

Alain

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Alain Plantec <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck a écrit :

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     On 14 déc. 2009, at 19:50, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>     > The syntax highlighting should be made a preference with our
>     shiny new
>     > preference framework.
>     >
>     > I don't want any other coloring, I am using that color scheme
>     for over
>     > 15 years now.
>     >
>     > Power to the people!
>
>     Yep, let's do some preferences for that. How do we start? :)
>

> Maybe creating a issue and cc alain :)
Hello !

I guess we can do that

when the core will not contain any Preferences reference
and my package comments reviewed
and the settings I've coded also documented
and a documentation written
I will be happy to help. :)

hahahahhaha. It seems you have a lot of things to do Alain  ;)

I agree those tasks are more important than this. For now, we should have just create an issue so that not forget about it.

Thank you very much for all what you are doing. It is very useful.

Issue 1611 <http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1611>: The