System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

12

System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

Norbert Fortelny
Something I have not figured out how to do easily in the Pharo system browser:
I am looking at a method and want to see how a message that is used in this method is implemented. In other Smalltalks (e.g. Cincoms) I use the menu item "Implementors of..." and get a list of all the messages that are used in this method and can choose one to drill down.
In Pharo I get an immediate answer but only the implementors of my original method.
Why are there those "..." at  the end of this menu item indicating some further choice when there is none?
How to do this drilling down in Pharo?

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

Henrik Nergaard
This can be achieved by selecting the message/class from the text area and either right clicking and using the menu->submenu "Code search..." or you can use the shortcuts: meta+m for implementors, meta+n for senders, and meta+shift+n for references of it.
There is also a shortcut (meta+space) for selecting the whole text between separators from where the cursor is.

"meta" is what <OSPlatform current defaultModifier> evaluates to (Ctrl on windows) .

Best regards,
Henrik

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Henrik Nergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
This can be achieved by selecting the message/class from the text area and either right clicking and using the menu->submenu "Code search..." or you can use the shortcuts: meta+m for implementors, meta+n for senders, and meta+shift+n for references of it.
There is also a shortcut (meta+space) for selecting the whole text between separators from where the cursor is.

And another shortcut: meta + mouse click

"meta" is what <OSPlatform current defaultModifier> evaluates to (Ctrl on windows) .

Best regards,
Henrik

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

Norbert Fortelny
Thanks!

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

kilon.alios
Learn to use GTSpotter , will make your experience 10 times easier and faster.
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 at 08:43, Norbert Fortelny <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

hernanmd
This was actually implemented in older versions of Pharo (or Squeak), the browser also included very handy buttons in the middle to save precious clicks.

The right thing to do is to replace the "..." non-sense with the selected method selector, and to offer another menu item which displays all method selectors of the currently selected method, and let the user to decide which one to browse.

Hernán

Something I have not figured out how to do easily in the Pharo system
browser:
I am looking at a method and want to see how a message that is used in this
method is implemented. In other Smalltalks (e.g. Cincoms) I use the menu
item "Implementors of..." and get a list of all the messages that are used
in this method and can choose one to drill down.
In Pharo I get an immediate answer but only the implementors of my original
method.
Why are there those "..." at  the end of this menu item indicating some
further choice when there is none?
How to do this drilling down in Pharo?

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

hernanmd

Learn to use GTSpotter , will make your experience 10 times easier and faster.

And of course, that is completely subjective :)

Hernán

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

Markus Stumptner
I agree - the keyboard shortcuts will work for the initiated, but are not a replacement for the obvious menu entries that even experienced Smalltalkers from other versions will be missing in Pharo.

I think it is important to keep the entry barriers low in terms of not hiding useful functionality that people will be used to from other environments.

Markus

On 22/07/2016 16:54, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
[...]

Choosing a programming language is too

Nonetheless GTSpotter make the navigation easier, mainly because it works hand in hand with System Browser . So you dont have to choose one or the other, rather find the workflow that fits your needs. Of course that will depend on the specifics of the situation.

Another advantage of GTSpotter is that its easier to customise to your needs, I would not be suprised if GTSpotter at some point completely replace System Browser. Actually I would be suprised if it does not.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:27 AM Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Learn to use GTSpotter , will make your experience 10 times easier and faster.

And of course, that is completely subjective :)

Hernán

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

Ben Coman
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Dimitris Chloupis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Learn to use GTSpotter , will make your experience 10 times easier and
> faster.

Agreed for 90% of what I do, but its RealHard(TM) for a single tool to
provide a magic 100% coverage of use cases.

The other 10% of the time I find the "Implementors of..." dialog
provides something that GTSpotter doesn't - it provides a more
permanent list you can scroll through, whereas GTSpotter is a
transitory list.  Further, I recently used Squeak again and their
"Implementors of..." dialog had two additional behaviours missing from
Pharo.

* In the "Implementors of..." code pane, selecting a message and doing
another "Implementors of..." added them as a sub-tree-level in the
existing dialog, whereas in Pharo a new "Implementors of..." window is
opened.  I liked this since it provided structure that I could
navigate, instead of loosing the relationship of multiple opened
windows as I chase a chain of implementers.  I suffer badly from Too
Many Windows Syndrome as it is (even if the shakes don't start until
I'm onto my third row of the task bar)

* On a method in the list pane, menu item "More... > Remove from this browser"
allows you you create a nice focused list of method your interested in
- and its easy to switch back forth between this methods using arrow
keys to quickly compare implementations.

cheers -ben

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 at 08:43, Norbert Fortelny <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks!

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

kilon.alios
Looks we two have a difficult time disagreeing with each other cause we think alike.

Yes it's very hard to put everything in a single tool. The window hell problem is something I have a lot issues with. Windowing systems are notorious for wasting screen estate which why I prefer custom GUIs . A big reason why I prefer GTSpotter too.

It's not because I want to cram more info on my screen I actually want less.

I am not a big fan of the three column browsing GUI of system browser but as tool is still very useful and very flexible.

One tool I miss from Pharo is a bird eye view browser. Similar to the graphs we have seen Roassal people make showing the connection between classes and methods . Both with GTSpotter and System Browser it's easy to forget and lose track which method triggers which method which happens to me often when I study complex code.

On the other hand each one of us have different way of thinking so I can definitely relate to why for someone GTSpotter may come nowhere near the 90% you mention.
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Learn to use GTSpotter , will make your experience 10 times easier and
> faster.

Agreed for 90% of what I do, but its RealHard(TM) for a single tool to
provide a magic 100% coverage of use cases.

The other 10% of the time I find the "Implementors of..." dialog
provides something that GTSpotter doesn't - it provides a more
permanent list you can scroll through, whereas GTSpotter is a
transitory list.  Further, I recently used Squeak again and their
"Implementors of..." dialog had two additional behaviours missing from
Pharo.

* In the "Implementors of..." code pane, selecting a message and doing
another "Implementors of..." added them as a sub-tree-level in the
existing dialog, whereas in Pharo a new "Implementors of..." window is
opened.  I liked this since it provided structure that I could
navigate, instead of loosing the relationship of multiple opened
windows as I chase a chain of implementers.  I suffer badly from Too
Many Windows Syndrome as it is (even if the shakes don't start until
I'm onto my third row of the task bar)

* On a method in the list pane, menu item "More... > Remove from this browser"
allows you you create a nice focused list of method your interested in
- and its easy to switch back forth between this methods using arrow
keys to quickly compare implementations.

cheers -ben

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 at 08:43, Norbert Fortelny <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks!

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

hernanmd
Yes, I know you like GTSpotter.

But as difficult as you may find, me (and others possibly) didn't find GTSpotter so cool, or even an usable tool, so we don't feel the love you feel. Why? Well, there was too many discussions about this tool in the mailing list.

On the other side, I would be *REALLY* surprised if System Browser gets replaced with Spotter. But I'd also like that you convince the guys which decides which tools goes to official image, because there is no voting here so convincing those guys will be enough, and would be super fun to sit down and read people's reaction when they open a Pharo and didn't find the classic System Browser. Maybe not a great move from the product developement POV, but will be fantastic as a terrible experiment :)

Hernán

Choosing a programming language is too

Nonetheless GTSpotter make the navigation easier, mainly because it works hand in hand with System Browser . So you dont have to choose one or the other, rather find the workflow that fits your needs. Of course that will depend on the specifics of the situation.

Another advantage of GTSpotter is that its easier to customise to your needs, I would not be suprised if GTSpotter at some point completely replace System Browser. Actually I would be suprised if it does not.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:27 AM Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Learn to use GTSpotter , will make your experience 10 times easier and faster.

And of course, that is completely subjective :)

Hernán

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

alistairgrant
On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 07:03:40PM +0000, Henrik Nergaard wrote:
> This can be achieved by selecting the message/class from the text area
> and either right clicking and using the menu->submenu "Code search..."
> or you can use the shortcuts: meta+m for implementors, meta+n for
> senders, and meta+shift+n for references of it.  There is also a
> shortcut (meta+space) for selecting the whole text between separators
> from where the cursor is.

Personnally I find this inconvenient - a subjective choice, I know.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 06:47:28AM +0000, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> Learn to use GTSpotter , will make your experience 10 times easier and faster.

This may be true, but I haven't figured it out yet.  Until then...

My vote would be to replace every instance of Implementers Of... /
Senders Of... with a link to the MessageFlowBrowser.

:-)

Thanks,
Alistair

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

stepharo

> Yes, I know you like GTSpotter.
>
> But as difficult as you may find, me (and others possibly) didn't find
> GTSpotter so cool, or even an usable tool, so we don't feel the love
> you feel. Why? Well, there was too many discussions about this tool in
> the mailing list.
>
> On the other side, I would be *REALLY* surprised if System Browser
> gets replaced with Spotter. But I'd also like that you convince the
> guys which decides which tools goes to official image, because there
> is no voting here so convincing those guys will be enough, and would
> be super fun to sit down and read people's reaction when they open a
> Pharo and didn't find the classic System Browser. Maybe not a great
> move from the product developement POV, but will be fantastic as a
> terrible experiment :)

;)

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

stepharo
Thanks. Indeed this is nice.

I would also love to scope and manipulate the scope of the list. For
example I would like

to only see the sender of a given package.

Stef

Le 22/7/16 à 14:50, Ben Coman a écrit :

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Dimitris Chloupis
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Learn to use GTSpotter , will make your experience 10 times easier and
>> faster.
> Agreed for 90% of what I do, but its RealHard(TM) for a single tool to
> provide a magic 100% coverage of use cases.
>
> The other 10% of the time I find the "Implementors of..." dialog
> provides something that GTSpotter doesn't - it provides a more
> permanent list you can scroll through, whereas GTSpotter is a
> transitory list.  Further, I recently used Squeak again and their
> "Implementors of..." dialog had two additional behaviours missing from
> Pharo.
>
> * In the "Implementors of..." code pane, selecting a message and doing
> another "Implementors of..." added them as a sub-tree-level in the
> existing dialog, whereas in Pharo a new "Implementors of..." window is
> opened.  I liked this since it provided structure that I could
> navigate, instead of loosing the relationship of multiple opened
> windows as I chase a chain of implementers.  I suffer badly from Too
> Many Windows Syndrome as it is (even if the shakes don't start until
> I'm onto my third row of the task bar)
>
> * On a method in the list pane, menu item "More... > Remove from this browser"
> allows you you create a nice focused list of method your interested in
> - and its easy to switch back forth between this methods using arrow
> keys to quickly compare implementations.
>
> cheers -ben
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 at 08:43, Norbert Fortelny <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Thanks!

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

stepharo

Hi hernan

Could you send a screenshot so that I understand precisely what you mean?

I tend to listen to grumbling people like you and me :)

Stef

Le 22/7/16 à 09:24, Hernán Morales Durand a écrit :
[...]

Feel free to improve the tools.

This is on my list to improve

    - method categorizer

    - finder to use lists instead of trees (because it is way better)

    - message browser (to make sure that from a scope browser, the env is passed and we do not end up browsing the complete env

    filter based on packages...)

But I'm doing too many things.

Stef

CHB1.jpg (134K) Download Attachment

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

Norbert Fortelny
What about just adding the method itself as the first item to the list.
Like it is in VW Smalltalk: attached.
Could I try my hand on this?
Does anyone know about possible pitfalls to be aware of?
Old hands: any thoughts?

On 26/07/2016 01:50, hernanmd [via Smalltalk] wrote:

> See attachment
>
> Hernán

> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4907915&i=0>>:
>
>     Hi hernan
>
>     Could you send a screenshot so that I understand precisely what you
>     mean?
>
>     I tend to listen to grumbling people like you and me :)
>
>     Stef
>

>     Le 22/7/16 à 09:24, Hernán Morales Durand a écrit :
>>     This was actually implemented in older versions of Pharo (or
>>     Squeak), the browser also included very handy buttons in the
>>     middle to save precious clicks.
>>
>>     The right thing to do is to replace the "..." non-sense with the
>>     selected method selector, and to offer another menu item which
>>     displays all method selectors of the currently selected method,
>>     and let the user to decide which one to browse.
>>
>>     Hernán

>>     </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4907915&i=1>>:
>>
>>         Something I have not figured out how to do easily in the Pharo
>>         system
>>         browser:
>>         I am looking at a method and want to see how a message that is
>>         used in this
>>         method is implemented. In other Smalltalks (e.g. Cincoms) I
>>         use the menu
>>         item "Implementors of..." and get a list of all the messages
>>         that are used
>>         in this method and can choose one to drill down.
>>         In Pharo I get an immediate answer but only the implementors
>>         of my original
>>         method.
>>         Why are there those "..." at  the end of this menu item
>>         indicating some
>>         further choice when there is none?
>>         How to do this drilling down in Pharo?
>>

>>         --
>>         Nabble.com.
>>

> *CHB1.jpg* (134K) Download Attachment
> <http://forum.world.st/attachment/4907915/0/CHB1.jpg>

> click here
> <
> NAML
> <
http://forum.world.st/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Senders in VW ST.tiff (1M) Download Attachment

Re: System Browser "Implementors of..." drill down?

Thierry Goubier

Feel free to improve the tools.

This is on my list to improve

    - method categorizer

    - finder to use lists instead of trees (because it is way better)

    - message browser (to make sure that from a scope browser, the env is passed and we do not end up browsing the complete env

    filter based on packages...)

I've already done the last two in my environment, and got rid of the first one (replaced the finder result UI by a scoped browser).

I can tell you, this is really fun to use...

Except that now, I'm unable to use a classical (Nautilus or OmniBrowser) system browser anymore :(

Thierry