System browser (ctrl + F)

Usman Bhatti
I've just downloaded moose-dev-4.7 and the first change i noticed was the absence of a very useful feature in System browser: search bar. The change comes from the move from pharo 1.3 to pharo 1.4. Sure, the same thing can be done with ctrl + F but the search bar was much more easily accessible and fewer windows in the system.

May be there is some custom browser that I can load to avoid changing my habits.

regards,
usman

Re: System browser (ctrl + F)

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

At the moment we are loading the basic Pharo 1.4 until we get a fully working version of another browser.

This came with OB in 1.3. In any case, I actually fail to see how a tiny field that requires a mouse click is more convenient than a simple shortcut :).

To me, more annoying is that there is no ECompletion (but Stef made some progress on this) and RB. At the moment we are looking at wither OB or Nautilus, but I did not get to try OB in 1.4 just yet. Anyone had better experiences in this area?

Cheers,
Doru

On 24 Feb 2012, at 16:53, Usman Bhatti wrote:

> I've just downloaded moose-dev-4.7 and the first change i noticed was the absence of a very useful feature in System browser: search bar. The change comes from the move from pharo 1.3 to pharo 1.4. Sure, the same thing can be done with ctrl + F but the search bar was much more easily accessible and fewer windows in the system.
>
> May be there is some custom browser that I can load to avoid changing my habits.
>
> regards,
> usman

www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: System browser (ctrl + F)

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 24, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At the moment we are loading the basic Pharo 1.4 until we get a fully working version of another browser.
>
> This came with OB in 1.3. In any case, I actually fail to see how a tiny field that requires a mouse click is more convenient than a simple shortcut :).
>
> To me, more annoying is that there is no ECompletion (but Stef made some progress on this) and RB.

Yes I got ECompletion working in 1.4
I will create a new repository and I will rename all the classes so that there is no complain.

> At the moment we are looking at wither OB or Nautilus, but I did not get to try OB in 1.4 just yet. Anyone had better experiences in this area?

I use Nautilus now in 1.4 and this is quite good.
Now for the search bar I never ever used it because you have to put your mouse on a little place and I prefer to press alt F