System vs. hierachy browsers

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I am not sure how much of this is self-inflicted and how much is already fixed; perhaps someone can remind me of a solution that already exists.  If not, think of it as a wish list.

I have typically never liked so-called "system browsers" because they tend to show classes alphabetically and hide inheritance relationshiops; that's really important in trying to understand a design.  The toolset I am using now is reasonably fast (in fact, it's perfectly fine on my new quad core box, but I hate throwing hardware at efficiency problems) but it not the bleeding edge.  The system browsers do not show hierachies, and the [hierarchy] buttons spawn off something that often shows only one of the paths from a super class.  IIRC, I've seen a browser that does better, but I can't remember which one it was or whether it can run fast enough to work on most of the hardware I see every day.

Sorry for the complaining tone of the above; I don't mean it that way, but I also do not have time to fix it right now.

Bill

Re: System vs. hierachy browsers

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am not sure how much of this is self-inflicted and how much is already fixed; perhaps someone can remind me of a solution that already exists.  If not, think of it as a wish list.
>
> I have typically never liked so-called "system browsers" because they tend to show classes alphabetically and hide inheritance relationshiops; that's really important in trying to understand a design.  The toolset I am using now is reasonably fast (in fact, it's perfectly fine on my new quad core box, but I hate throwing hardware at efficiency problems) but it not the bleeding edge.  The system browsers do not show hierachies, and the [hierarchy] buttons spawn off something that often shows only one of the paths from a super class.  IIRC, I've seen a browser that does better, but I can't remember which one it was or whether it can run fast enough to work on most of the hardware I see every day.
>
> Sorry for the complaining tone of the above; I don't mean it that way, but I also do not have time to fix it right now.

I don't really understand your problem. In all Pharo images, the
default System Browser orders classes of the selected package/category
hierarchically and not alphabetically.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: System vs. hierachy browsers

Schwab,Wilhelm K

Damien,

It might be that the browser I am using on performance grounds is the source of the trouble.

Bill

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am not sure how much of this is self-inflicted and how much is already fixed; perhaps someone can remind me of a solution that already exists.  If not, think of it as a wish list.
>
> I have typically never liked so-called "system browsers" because they tend to show classes alphabetically and hide inheritance relationshiops; that's really important in trying to understand a design.  The toolset I am using now is reasonably fast (in fact, it's perfectly fine on my new quad core box, but I hate throwing hardware at efficiency problems) but it not the bleeding edge.  The system browsers do not show hierachies, and the [hierarchy] buttons spawn off something that often shows only one of the paths from a super class.  IIRC, I've seen a browser that does better, but I can't remember which one it was or whether it can run fast enough to work on most of the hardware I see every day.
>
> Sorry for the complaining tone of the above; I don't mean it that way, but I also do not have time to fix it right now.

I don't really understand your problem. In all Pharo images, the default System Browser orders classes of the selected package/category hierarchically and not alphabetically.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them popular by not having them." James Iry