SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

bpi

SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

bpi
Dear all,

I implemented a feature which some of you may know from Windows. When a SystemWindow is dragged to one of the edges it is resized to that half of the display. In addition, when it is dragged to one of the corners it is resized to that quadrant of the display. See the following packages in the Inbox:
- GraphicsTests-bp.39
- Graphics-bp.321
- Morphic-bp.1064
In order to use it you need to enable the preference Drag To Edges in the Preference Browser, or just do:
SystemWindow dragToEdges: true

If you have time to try it out, let me know what you think.

- Bernhard

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

Chris Muller-3
Bernhard, please don't take this as offense but just as someone who's
interested in UI design -- I'm curious what people find to like about
this feature.  I myself was so disappointed when Ubuntu did this to
Unity because being able to grab a window edge and slam the mouse to
the edge of the screen is an easy gross-motor gesture that facilitates
efficient window management; affording expansion in the desired
dimensions, and no expansion where it isn't desired.  However, with
this feature the user is now forced to "be careful" when dragging
their window edges (don't get too close to the edge!) and so what was
a gross-motor became a fine-motor AND their mind is distracted this
having to wreste with the UI, because they want to make use of their
screen real-estate but, at least in Unity, when you get within 4
pixels of the edge, SNAP.  Now its covering many other windows I
didn't want covered, whilst presenting vast swaths of useless
whitespace (because its too big).

I never much liked Operation...   :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6MAkLJ79LE

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I implemented a feature which some of you may know from Windows. When a SystemWindow is dragged to one of the edges it is resized to that half of the display. In addition, when it is dragged to one of the corners it is resized to that quadrant of the display. See the following packages in the Inbox:
> - GraphicsTests-bp.39
> - Graphics-bp.321
> - Morphic-bp.1064
> In order to use it you need to enable the preference Drag To Edges in the Preference Browser, or just do:
> SystemWindow dragToEdges: true
>
> If you have time to try it out, let me know what you think.
>
> - Bernhard

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

Nicolas Cellier
I wanted to comment that there's even more upsetting: the maximize feature of windows 7 when dragging a window near display edge.
But as long as we can disable the preference, it's ok for me.

Bernhard, please don't take this as offense but just as someone who's
interested in UI design -- I'm curious what people find to like about
this feature.  I myself was so disappointed when Ubuntu did this to
Unity because being able to grab a window edge and slam the mouse to
the edge of the screen is an easy gross-motor gesture that facilitates
efficient window management; affording expansion in the desired
dimensions, and no expansion where it isn't desired.  However, with
this feature the user is now forced to "be careful" when dragging
their window edges (don't get too close to the edge!) and so what was
a gross-motor became a fine-motor AND their mind is distracted this
having to wreste with the UI, because they want to make use of their
screen real-estate but, at least in Unity, when you get within 4
pixels of the edge, SNAP.  Now its covering many other windows I
didn't want covered, whilst presenting vast swaths of useless
whitespace (because its too big).

I never much liked Operation...   :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6MAkLJ79LE

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I implemented a feature which some of you may know from Windows. When a SystemWindow is dragged to one of the edges it is resized to that half of the display. In addition, when it is dragged to one of the corners it is resized to that quadrant of the display. See the following packages in the Inbox:
> - GraphicsTests-bp.39
> - Graphics-bp.321
> - Morphic-bp.1064
> In order to use it you need to enable the preference Drag To Edges in the Preference Browser, or just do:
> SystemWindow dragToEdges: true
>
> If you have time to try it out, let me know what you think.
>
> - Bernhard

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

Jakob Reschke-2
In Windows, I tend to like both maximizing a window when it is dragged
to the top of the screen and tiling a window when dragged to the left
or right edge of the screen. Not sure why I find the first one more
intuitive than double clicking the title bar or the window decoration
button for it. Maybe it's that gross motion thing Chris mentioned.
Just today, I came to dislike once again that the tiling does not work
on the inner edges in a dual screen setup. Though, it is possible that
I would change my mind if it worked and it would trigger all the time.
Anyway, it is achievable with Win-key+Left/Right.

On the other hand, I am not so keen on maximizing a window in only one
direction (vertically or horizontally) if I drag an edge of the window
to the edge of the screen. Windows has that for the vertical
direction.

But I cannot remember the last time I wanted to maximize a
SystemWindow in Squeak... usually I find screen space to be more
precious (scarce?) here because there is no web browser or dedicated
text editor window, but rather a plethora of smaller windows floating
around, each of them preferably only one click away. And I like to
spare a hole somewhere to access the world menu... Maybe these habits
are also a result of the lack of an Alt+Tab or Exposé like feature by
default.

> I wanted to comment that there's even more upsetting: the maximize feature
> of windows 7 when dragging a window near display edge.
> But as long as we can disable the preference, it's ok for me.

>> Bernhard, please don't take this as offense but just as someone who's
>> interested in UI design -- I'm curious what people find to like about
>> this feature.  I myself was so disappointed when Ubuntu did this to
>> Unity because being able to grab a window edge and slam the mouse to
>> the edge of the screen is an easy gross-motor gesture that facilitates
>> efficient window management; affording expansion in the desired
>> dimensions, and no expansion where it isn't desired.  However, with
>> this feature the user is now forced to "be careful" when dragging
>> their window edges (don't get too close to the edge!) and so what was
>> a gross-motor became a fine-motor AND their mind is distracted this
>> having to wreste with the UI, because they want to make use of their
>> screen real-estate but, at least in Unity, when you get within 4
>> pixels of the edge, SNAP.  Now its covering many other windows I
>> didn't want covered, whilst presenting vast swaths of useless
>> whitespace (because its too big).
>>
>> I never much liked Operation...   :)
>>
>>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6MAkLJ79LE
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I implemented a feature which some of you may know from Windows. When a
>> > SystemWindow is dragged to one of the edges it is resized to that half of
>> > the display. In addition, when it is dragged to one of the corners it is
>> > resized to that quadrant of the display. See the following packages in the
>> > Inbox:
>> > - GraphicsTests-bp.39
>> > - Graphics-bp.321
>> > - Morphic-bp.1064
>> > In order to use it you need to enable the preference Drag To Edges in
>> > the Preference Browser, or just do:
>> > SystemWindow dragToEdges: true
>> >
>> > If you have time to try it out, let me know what you think.
>> >
>> > - Bernhard

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

Nicolas Cellier
The reasons why I personnally hate this maximizing thing are these ones:
- I generally have kind of portrait oriented documents best viewed with tall viewport (not wide)
- my screen is too wide but that's ok to view 2 documents side by side, or 1 document with 2 pages side by side alternatively.
- i often resize/move the windows to obtain side by side view (for comparison, drag and drop etc...)
alas, since my windows are tall, they are most of the time near top, and i more than often have to undo the UN-INTENDED maximization.

There are at least two other ways to maximize the window, so this gesture is never going to be on purpose from myself, if only I knew how to disable it :(

> [...]

>> I never much liked Operation...   :)
>>
>>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6MAkLJ79LE
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I implemented a feature which some of you may know from Windows. When a
>> > SystemWindow is dragged to one of the edges it is resized to that half of
>> > the display. In addition, when it is dragged to one of the corners it is
>> > resized to that quadrant of the display. See the following packages in the
>> > Inbox:
>> > - GraphicsTests-bp.39
>> > - Graphics-bp.321
>> > - Morphic-bp.1064
>> > In order to use it you need to enable the preference Drag To Edges in
>> > the Preference Browser, or just do:
>> > SystemWindow dragToEdges: true
>> >
>> > If you have time to try it out, let me know what you think.

Karl Ramberg

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 12:46 AM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> I never much liked Operation...   :)
>>
>>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6MAkLJ79LE
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I implemented a feature which some of you may know from Windows. When a
>> > SystemWindow is dragged to one of the edges it is resized to that half of
>> > the display. In addition, when it is dragged to one of the corners it is
>> > resized to that quadrant of the display. See the following packages in the
>> > Inbox:
>> > - GraphicsTests-bp.39
>> > - Graphics-bp.321
>> > - Morphic-bp.1064
>> > In order to use it you need to enable the preference Drag To Edges in
>> > the Preference Browser, or just do:
>> > SystemWindow dragToEdges: true
>> >
>> > If you have time to try it out, let me know what you think.

Thanks Karl, that's usefull

> [...]

>> I never much liked Operation...   :)
>>
>>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6MAkLJ79LE
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I implemented a feature which some of you may know from Windows. When a
>> > SystemWindow is dragged to one of the edges it is resized to that half of
>> > the display. In addition, when it is dragged to one of the corners it is
>> > resized to that quadrant of the display. See the following packages in the
>> > Inbox:
>> > - GraphicsTests-bp.39
>> > - Graphics-bp.321
>> > - Morphic-bp.1064
>> > In order to use it you need to enable the preference Drag To Edges in
>> > the Preference Browser, or just do:
>> > SystemWindow dragToEdges: true
>> >
>> > If you have time to try it out, let me know what you think.

Frank Shearar-3
FWIW I'm super happy with the soft tiling window manager approach
Windows 8 brought (and Win 10 augments, because you can now tile
within quadrants, not half-screens). I use this all the time,
especially from the keyboard - <win>-<left-arrow> / <right-arrow> tile
to the respective half-screens, <win>-<up-arrow> "promotes" a
half-screen to full-screen, <win>-<down-arrow> minimises, etc. It's
just a couple of key presses now to get two windows side-by-side.

I would be very happy if Squeak provided similar functionality
(without disagreeing with Chris's comments re gross/fine motor
movements).

frank

bpi

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

bpi
Hi Chris,

No offence taken. Thank you for your feedback! I would never have dared to suggest this without a preference. ;-) I find it quite helpful obviously, especially on my 13“ notebook display, and thought others might, too.

Knowing that the preference is off by default, would you still be opposed to move it to the trunk?

Cheers,
Bernhard

bpi

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

bpi
Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for your feedback and your support for moving it to the trunk. I wanted to note that dragging to the top edge snaps the window to the top half of the screen.

Cheers,
Bernhard

bpi

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

bpi
Hi Frank,

Yes, keyboard support would be cool, too. Note though, that currently dragging to the top edge does not maximise, just snap and resize to the top half. Dragging to the corners snaps and resizes to the respective quadrant.

Cheers,
Bernhard

bpi

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

bpi
Hi Jakob,

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that something like Alt-Tab or Exposé would be super cool.

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 11.01.2016 um 22:39 schrieb Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]>:
>
> In Windows, I tend to like both maximizing a window when it is dragged
> to the top of the screen and tiling a window when dragged to the left
> or right edge of the screen. Not sure why I find the first one more
> intuitive than double clicking the title bar or the window decoration
> button for it. Maybe it's that gross motion thing Chris mentioned.
> Just today, I came to dislike once again that the tiling does not work
> on the inner edges in a dual screen setup. Though, it is possible that
> I would change my mind if it worked and it would trigger all the time.
> Anyway, it is achievable with Win-key+Left/Right.
>
> On the other hand, I am not so keen on maximizing a window in only one
> direction (vertically or horizontally) if I drag an edge of the window
> to the edge of the screen. Windows has that for the vertical
> direction.
>
> But I cannot remember the last time I wanted to maximize a
> SystemWindow in Squeak... usually I find screen space to be more
> precious (scarce?) here because there is no web browser or dedicated
> text editor window, but rather a plethora of smaller windows floating
> around, each of them preferably only one click away. And I like to
> spare a hole somewhere to access the world menu... Maybe these habits
> are also a result of the lack of an Alt+Tab or Exposé like feature by
> default.

>> I wanted to comment that there's even more upsetting: the maximize feature
>> of windows 7 when dragging a window near display edge.
>> But as long as we can disable the preference, it's ok for me.

>>> Bernhard, please don't take this as offense but just as someone who's
>>> interested in UI design -- I'm curious what people find to like about
>>> this feature.  I myself was so disappointed when Ubuntu did this to
>>> Unity because being able to grab a window edge and slam the mouse to
>>> the edge of the screen is an easy gross-motor gesture that facilitates
>>> efficient window management; affording expansion in the desired
>>> dimensions, and no expansion where it isn't desired.  However, with
>>> this feature the user is now forced to "be careful" when dragging
>>> their window edges (don't get too close to the edge!) and so what was
>>> a gross-motor became a fine-motor AND their mind is distracted this
>>> having to wreste with the UI, because they want to make use of their
>>> screen real-estate but, at least in Unity, when you get within 4
>>> pixels of the edge, SNAP.  Now its covering many other windows I
>>> didn't want covered, whilst presenting vast swaths of useless
>>> whitespace (because its too big).
>>>
>>> I never much liked Operation...   :)
>>>
>>>    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6MAkLJ79LE

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

Karl Ramberg
I see no harm in adding this to the image.

Best,
Karl

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Frank,

Yes, keyboard support would be cool, too. Note though, that currently dragging to the top edge does not maximise, just snap and resize to the top half. Dragging to the corners snaps and resizes to the respective quadrant.

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 12.01.2016 um 10:49 schrieb Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
>
> FWIW I'm super happy with the soft tiling window manager approach
> Windows 8 brought (and Win 10 augments, because you can now tile
> within quadrants, not half-screens). I use this all the time,
> especially from the keyboard - <win>-<left-arrow> / <right-arrow> tile
> to the respective half-screens, <win>-<up-arrow> "promotes" a
> half-screen to full-screen, <win>-<down-arrow> minimises, etc. It's
> just a couple of key presses now to get two windows side-by-side.
>
> I would be very happy if Squeak provided similar functionality
> (without disagreeing with Chris's comments re gross/fine motor
> movements).
>
> frank
>
> On 11 January 2016 at 21:39, Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In Windows, I tend to like both maximizing a window when it is dragged
>> to the top of the screen and tiling a window when dragged to the left
>> or right edge of the screen. Not sure why I find the first one more
>> intuitive than double clicking the title bar or the window decoration
>> button for it. Maybe it's that gross motion thing Chris mentioned.
>> Just today, I came to dislike once again that the tiling does not work
>> on the inner edges in a dual screen setup. Though, it is possible that
>> I would change my mind if it worked and it would trigger all the time.
>> Anyway, it is achievable with Win-key+Left/Right.
>>
>> On the other hand, I am not so keen on maximizing a window in only one
>> direction (vertically or horizontally) if I drag an edge of the window
>> to the edge of the screen. Windows has that for the vertical
>> direction.
>>
>> But I cannot remember the last time I wanted to maximize a
>> SystemWindow in Squeak... usually I find screen space to be more
>> precious (scarce?) here because there is no web browser or dedicated
>> text editor window, but rather a plethora of smaller windows floating
>> around, each of them preferably only one click away. And I like to
>> spare a hole somewhere to access the world menu... Maybe these habits
>> are also a result of the lack of an Alt+Tab or Exposé like feature by
>> default.

>>> I wanted to comment that there's even more upsetting: the maximize feature
>>> of windows 7 when dragging a window near display edge.
>>> But as long as we can disable the preference, it's ok for me.

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

marcel.taeumel
Considering an Exposé-like dashboard for windows, see this code:
https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/tree/master/repository/Vivide.package/ViWindowsDashboard.class

Here is a screenshot:
https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/commit/c2a38e486d6c046e244b114b46ebe85fd982baa6

It can be modified to be independent from Vivide. It is invoked via Control+Tab like in other applications (resp. eco systems).

Best,
Marcel

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

marcel.taeumel
Hey Chris,

well, you can slam-drag a window to any edge of the screen as you like in MS Windows 7+. Since then, you have been getting a preview of what will happen in terms of resizing. If you do not like it, just drag it back some pixels to the center of the screen before mouse-up. This is no big challenge in terms of user precision. You can be as "coarse" as you want with your mouse interaction. Note that there is no threshold but you actually have to touch the edge of the screen with the mouse cursor.

Best,
Marcel

Re: SystemWindow drag to edges in Inbox

Chris Muller-3
Good discussion thanks all.  I've wondered whether this feature (and
some other new ones) in OS's is part of an effort by OS designers to
converge the UI between PC and tablet devices..