classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TCP/IP communication (under VA) is "slow" in some cases

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Guys,

In another topic (.Net-Smalltalk IPC), my good friend Marten suggested that "TCP/IP communication (under VA) is "slow" in some cases".  I have another idea as to why this may be the case.

I don't think the problem is with sockets so much as with the VA Smalltalk Delay class code.  Delay, as part of its dispatching function, asks the OS to interrupt it every InterruptPeriod milliseconds.  The default value for InterruptPeriod is 100 milliseconds (1/10th of a second).  This is fine for most things and as far as I know no one ever changes InterruptPeriod but me (if anyone else out there does, please let us know about your experience).

Marten uses Totally Objects SocketSet as do I.  It and I guess most other socket code when asked to read from a socket will look for data.  If the requested amount of data is present, it is returned and things keep running.  If the requested data is not present, a delay is issued to wait a little while to see if the data shows up.  Because of the way delays are handled, the smallest delay is going to be 1/10th of a second.  The requested data could show up 1 millisecond later but the socket won't know about it until it gets back from the delay.  This can result in processing being as slow as 10 messages per second through the socket.

I set InterruptPeriod to 10 milliseconds.  I really only get a delay as short as about 14-15 milliseconds because of the way th VA Smalltalk VM (windows) handles timer interrupt calls to the OS.  I'm not sure what is going on in the VM because we can't see the C code (and I'm not a C programmer anyway) but the Squeak VM can get down to 1 millisecond delays.  So, I think the problem is with the VA VM and not windows.

I have experienced this slow through put first hand.  When going from VA version 5.5.2 to 8.0.3, one of my servers that was doing okay with the 100 millisecond delay experienced a drop in through put.  If anything I would have expected an increase in through put as there were changes in v8.0.3 that should have been an improvement.  I concluded that the code that was handling the data obtained from the socket was now coming back for more "sooner" than before and data wasn't available where as before things took a little longer and data was available.  Now, with the slighter faster v8.0.3 system, a delay was required to wait for more data.  Things went from a state where data showing up and being expected were in-sync to one where 100 millisecond delays were being thrown all the time and through put suffered.

I would like to see a few changes in this area.

1) Changing the VM to allow/handle/whatever 1 millisecond delays would be good.
2) Changing the delay code to calculate the interrupt time based upon the current time and when the next (smallest) delay should end.  This could be calculated to not be larger than 100 milliseconds or whatever InterruptPeriod is set to.

These changes would allow developers to issue delays smaller than 100 milliseconds (as small as 1ms) without changing InterruptPeriod and without having the OS interrupt the VM more often that needed.

Note: I have seen places in the base code where delays of 50 ms are issued.  Clearly someone wanted the short delay but they don't get it.

Lou

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: TCP/IP communication (under VA) is "slow" in some cases

Bob Hartwig-2
I'm coming in late on this, so forgive me if this has been discussed already, but you may also want to investigate whether TCP_NODELAY is being set for the socket.  See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagle's_algorithm .  I'm using an older version of VA, but after making several tweaks, including disabling Nagle's Algorithm, I got my socket-related code screaming fast now.

Bob

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guys,

In another topic (.Net-Smalltalk IPC), my good friend Marten suggested that "TCP/IP communication (under VA) is "slow" in some cases".  I have another idea as to why this may be the case.

I don't think the problem is with sockets so much as with the VA Smalltalk Delay class code.  Delay, as part of its dispatching function, asks the OS to interrupt it every InterruptPeriod milliseconds.  The default value for InterruptPeriod is 100 milliseconds (1/10th of a second).  This is fine for most things and as far as I know no one ever changes InterruptPeriod but me (if anyone else out there does, please let us know about your experience).

Marten uses Totally Objects SocketSet as do I.  It and I guess most other socket code when asked to read from a socket will look for data.  If the requested amount of data is present, it is returned and things keep running.  If the requested data is not present, a delay is issued to wait a little while to see if the data shows up.  Because of the way delays are handled, the smallest delay is going to be 1/10th of a second.  The requested data could show up 1 millisecond later but the socket won't know about it until it gets back from the delay.  This can result in processing being as slow as 10 messages per second through the socket.

I set InterruptPeriod to 10 milliseconds.  I really only get a delay as short as about 14-15 milliseconds because of the way th VA Smalltalk VM (windows) handles timer interrupt calls to the OS.  I'm not sure what is going on in the VM because we can't see the C code (and I'm not a C programmer anyway) but the Squeak VM can get down to 1 millisecond delays.  So, I think the problem is with the VA VM and not windows.

I have experienced this slow through put first hand.  When going from VA version 5.5.2 to 8.0.3, one of my servers that was doing okay with the 100 millisecond delay experienced a drop in through put.  If anything I would have expected an increase in through put as there were changes in v8.0.3 that should have been an improvement.  I concluded that the code that was handling the data obtained from the socket was now coming back for more "sooner" than before and data wasn't available where as before things took a little longer and data was available.  Now, with the slighter faster v8.0.3 system, a delay was required to wait for more data.  Things went from a state where data showing up and being expected were in-sync to one where 100 millisecond delays were being thrown all the time and through put suffered.

2) Changing the delay code to calculate the interrupt time based upon the current time and when the next (smallest) delay should end.  This could be calculated to not be larger than 100 milliseconds or whatever InterruptPeriod is set to.

These changes would allow developers to issue delays smaller than 100 milliseconds (as small as 1ms) without changing InterruptPeriod and without having the OS interrupt the VM more often that needed.

Note: I have seen places in the base code where delays of 50 ms are issued.  Clearly someone wanted the short delay but they don't get it.

Lou

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Adriaan van Os-3
Hi Bob,

The default configurations (as #serverTransportConfiguration in SstHttpCommunications) has Nagle's algorithm disabled. Fancy to share the other tweaks you made? ;-)

Cheers,
Adriaan.

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:38:55 PM UTC+2, Bob Hartwig wrote:
I'm coming in late on this, so forgive me if this has been discussed already, but you may also want to investigate whether TCP_NODELAY is being set for the socket.  See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagle's_algorithm .  I'm using an older version of VA, but after making several tweaks, including disabling Nagle's Algorithm, I got my socket-related code screaming fast now.

Bob

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Louis LaBrunda <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="-RFZfwH8Gk4J">L...@...> wrote:
Hi Guys,

Lou

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="-RFZfwH8Gk4J">va-smalltalk...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="-RFZfwH8Gk4J">va-sma...@....

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Adriaan van Os-3
In reply to this post by Bob Hartwig-2
Hi Bob,

The default configurations (as #serverTransportConfiguration in SstHttpCommunications) has Nagle's algorithm disabled. Fancy to share the other tweaks you made? ;-)

Cheers,
Adriaan.

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Marten Feldtmann-2
In reply to this post by Louis LaBrunda
Ok, when we are at this topic. The Delay has never worked for me over the last 15 years.

When we use

Delay forMilliseconds: msMilliseconds

we actually get :

Delay forMilliseconds: (msMilliseconds + interruptPeriod).

As Lou mentioned: the interruptPeriod is per default 100ms. Therefore if you write:

Delay forMilliseconds: 100

you get

Delay forMilliseconds: 200.

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Marten,

Ok, when we are at this topic. The Delay has never worked for me over the last 15 years.

When we use

we actually get :

As Lou mentioned: the interruptPeriod is per default 100ms. Therefore if you write:

you get

This isn't really true, it just seems like it is.

Delays are typically defined as "Delay forMilliseconds: 50" but they can also be defined as "Delay untilMilliseconds: aMillisecondClockValue".  For  "Delay forMilliseconds: 50" a Delay is instantiated and #delayTime: is set to the millisecond value.  For "Delay untilMilliseconds: aMillisecondClockValue"  a Delay is instantiated and #resumptionTime: is set to aMillisecondClockValue.

When #wait is sent, if delayTime is set, resumptionTime is set to the current millisecond clock value (Time millisecondClockValue) plus delayTime.  The delay is added to a list of delayed tasks (sorted by low to high by resumptionTime).  The OS (via the VM) is asked to interrupt us in 100 milliseconds (I'm not 100% sure about this as I can't see what the VM does and different OSs may deal with the interrupt requests in different ways).  The current process (the one associated with this delay) is suspended.  The Smalltalk dispatcher will then dispatch the next ready to run process based upon its priority.  If no process is ready to run the we go to an idle process that relinquishes the CPU to the OS (goes to sleep).

When the interrupt triggers, the list of delayed tasks is checked to see if any of their resumptionTime(s) have past and they are made ready to run.

The problem is as I have described it.  If one does a delay for 20 milliseconds, its  resumptionTime will be set to 20 milliseconds in the future but the OS won't trigger the interrupt until 100 milliseconds in the future, by then the delay is 80 milliseconds past due.

As I also said, for reasons I don't understand, the VM can't seem to get the OS to trigger interrupts more often that every 14-15 milliseconds.  So, even if the above situation is fixed and I think that is easy to do, we still can't get better resolution than about 15 milliseconds.

Try this:

| delay times |
delay := Delay forMilliseconds: 1.
times := OrderedCollection new.
times add: Time millisecondClockValue.
100 timesRepeat: [
delay wait.
].
times inspect.
times last - times first.

Then do this:

Delay interruptPeriod: 10.

and repeat above code.  I get 10000 and 1560 respectively.  And when:

Delay interruptPeriod: 1.
I still get 1560.

So we can't delay for short amounts of time, less than 100 milliseconds, without changing the delay interrupt period and even then we can't get below 15 milliseconds.

For low volume - high CPU tasks this isn't very bad but for high volume - low CPU tasks it can be a killer.

For one case, I'm going to simplify it here, I had two servers (NT services) where server A send server B work via TCP/IP sockets.  Server A would wait until server B sent back the result before sending server B more work.  This was running on a single CPU VMWare VM windows server (because it is often recommended that only one CPU be defined for a VM as it wouldn't be dispatched until both CPUs are available).  This configuration forced server B to wait on a read on the socket.  Server A might return more work in say 5 milliseconds but server B wouldn't know about the data for another 95 milliseconds (assuming I hadn't changed the interrupt period).  When I changed the interrupt period things got better but still can't do better than the 15 millisecond rate.

Lou

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Bob Hartwig-2
In reply to this post by Adriaan van Os-3
I'll have to look at my code later, but one change that sped up server socket responsiveness and reliability was to disable DNS lookup upon connection from a client.  That was a change to AbtSocket or SciSocket.

Bob

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Adriaan van Os <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bob,

Cheers,
Adriaan.

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Bob Hartwig-2
"When I changed the interrupt period things got better but still can't do better than the 15 millisecond rate."

What's your OS?  If it's Windows, that makes sense, as the system timer for, e.g. Windows 7 is 15.6 mS.  Older versions of Windows are worse.  You can actually get extremely accurate timers on Windows by using performance counters, but unless they use that technique in the VM, you won't get that accuracy by using Delay.

But the more interesting question is why socket-related code has explicit delays.  That sounds strange.

Bob

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Marten,

When we use

we actually get :

you get

This isn't really true, it just seems like it is.

Delays are typically defined as "Delay forMilliseconds: 50" but they can also be defined as "Delay untilMilliseconds: aMillisecondClockValue".  For  "Delay forMilliseconds: 50" a Delay is instantiated and #delayTime: is set to the millisecond value.  For "Delay untilMilliseconds: aMillisecondClockValue"  a Delay is instantiated and #resumptionTime: is set to aMillisecondClockValue.

When #wait is sent, if delayTime is set, resumptionTime is set to the current millisecond clock value (Time millisecondClockValue) plus delayTime.  The delay is added to a list of delayed tasks (sorted by low to high by resumptionTime).  The OS (via the VM) is asked to interrupt us in 100 milliseconds (I'm not 100% sure about this as I can't see what the VM does and different OSs may deal with the interrupt requests in different ways).  The current process (the one associated with this delay) is suspended.  The Smalltalk dispatcher will then dispatch the next ready to run process based upon its priority.  If no process is ready to run the we go to an idle process that relinquishes the CPU to the OS (goes to sleep).

When the interrupt triggers, the list of delayed tasks is checked to see if any of their resumptionTime(s) have past and they are made ready to run.

The problem is as I have described it.  If one does a delay for 20 milliseconds, its  resumptionTime will be set to 20 milliseconds in the future but the OS won't trigger the interrupt until 100 milliseconds in the future, by then the delay is 80 milliseconds past due.

As I also said, for reasons I don't understand, the VM can't seem to get the OS to trigger interrupts more often that every 14-15 milliseconds.  So, even if the above situation is fixed and I think that is easy to do, we still can't get better resolution than about 15 milliseconds.

Try this:

| delay times |
delay := Delay forMilliseconds: 1.
times := OrderedCollection new.
100 timesRepeat: [
delay wait.
].
times inspect.
times last - times first.

Then do this:

Delay interruptPeriod: 10.

and repeat above code.  I get 10000 and 1560 respectively.  And when:

Delay interruptPeriod: 1.
I still get 1560.

So we can't delay for short amounts of time, less than 100 milliseconds, without changing the delay interrupt period and even then we can't get below 15 milliseconds.

For low volume - high CPU tasks this isn't very bad but for high volume - low CPU tasks it can be a killer.

For one case, I'm going to simplify it here, I had two servers (NT services) where server A send server B work via TCP/IP sockets.  Server A would wait until server B sent back the result before sending server B more work.  This was running on a single CPU VMWare VM windows server (because it is often recommended that only one CPU be defined for a VM as it wouldn't be dispatched until both CPUs are available).  This configuration forced server B to wait on a read on the socket.  Server A might return more work in say 5 milliseconds but server B wouldn't know about the data for another 95 milliseconds (assuming I hadn't changed the interrupt period).  When I changed the interrupt period things got better but still can't do better than the 15 millisecond rate.

Lou

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Bob,

What's your OS?  If it's Windows, that makes sense, as the system timer for, e.g. Windows 7 is 15.6 mS.  Older versions of Windows are worse.  You can actually get extremely accurate timers on Windows by using performance counters, but unless they use that technique in the VM, you won't get that accuracy by using Delay.

I'm using windows 7.  Similar tests with Squeak on windows 7 get delays down to 1 millisecond.

But the more interesting question is why socket-related code has explicit delays.  That sounds strange.

I'm using Totally Objects SocketSet http://www.totallyobjects.com/Sockset.htm.  I have had to learn way more than I ever wanted to about communications/TCP/IP/sockets than I ever wanted to and SocketSet eased that pain somewhat (probably a lot and I highly recommend it).  It would do a delay (all be it with a bug or two that I fixed) when needing to wait for data.  I guess it could have been built to trigger an event when the data showed up but that's not what it does.

I'm not sure event driven sockets would solve the problem because sooner or later the program may relinquish the CPU to the OS and unless data showing up for a socket will wake up the program it would still wait until the 100 milliseconds is up.

Lou

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Marten Feldtmann-2
I posted my experiences three years ago:

http://schrievkrom.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/vasmalltalk-delay-formilliseconds/

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Bob Hartwig-2
I don't know anything about SocketSet, but assuming that it ultimately makes a coroutine call to winsock's recv() function to get data from the socket, that function should block until data is available or the connection is broken.  No delays needed.  That's why that sounded strange to me.

"Similar tests with Squeak on windows 7 get delays down to 1 millisecond."

Which means that Squeak's delay implementation probably does not use Window's sleep() api to implement its delay.

Bob

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bob,

I'm using windows 7.  Similar tests with Squeak on windows 7 get delays down to 1 millisecond.

I'm using Totally Objects SocketSet http://www.totallyobjects.com/Sockset.htm.  I have had to learn way more than I ever wanted to about communications/TCP/IP/sockets than I ever wanted to and SocketSet eased that pain somewhat (probably a lot and I highly recommend it).  It would do a delay (all be it with a bug or two that I fixed) when needing to wait for data.  I guess it could have been built to trigger an event when the data showed up but that's not what it does.

I'm not sure event driven sockets would solve the problem because sooner or later the program may relinquish the CPU to the OS and unless data showing up for a socket will wake up the program it would still wait until the 100 milliseconds is up.

Lou

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Bob,

I don't know anything about SocketSet, but assuming that it ultimately makes a coroutine call to winsock's recv() function to get data from the socket, that function should block until data is available or the connection is broken.  No delays needed.  That's why that sounded strange to me.

Without looking at the code and going from memory only, I think if you want to be able to *timeout* connects/gets/sends you need to be non-blocking and then you need delays.

Thanks for the suggestions about how to speed up sockets but here (this thread) I'm interested in getting better Delays, slow sockets were just where I first noticed the problem.

Lou

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Revisiting this thread once more. I was getting bit by this and only recently realized it.

I see that the code which initializes InterruptPeriod was last modified 23 years ago yesterday. (I should have posted this last night!) In 1996, Intel had just released the 300MHz Pentium, so I am guessing 100ms was selected when the fastest PC hardware was 200MHz (if not even longer before that!). System clocks are now 10-15x that speed. It's past time for a refresh on Delay!

I found that reducing InterruptPeriod to 10ms reduced a "1ms delay" to 15.6ms on average. Reducing InterruptPeriod to anything lower than 10ms had no effect.

On my machine, an 8.6.3 image idles at 0.1-0.2% CPU. Decreasing InterruptPeriod to 10ms increased that to 0.8%. Mouse activity over the "100ms image" increased CPU usage to about 1.5%. Mouse activity over the "10ms image" increased its CPU usage to about 2.5%.

It's probably time to give Delay some serious attention. As far as I understand, Windows has two kinds of timers: a low-resolution one (e.g. DOS compatible) and a high-resolution one. (See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/winmsg/about-timers) Additionally, #delayedTasks is a sorted collection, keyed on resumption time. But there are methods which change resumption time without resorting the collection.

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 at 8:06:59 AM UTC-7, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Bob,

Without looking at the code and going from memory only, I think if you want to be able to *timeout* connects/gets/sends you need to be non-blocking and then you need delays.

Thanks for the suggestions about how to speed up sockets but here (this thread) I'm interested in getting better Delays, slow sockets were just where I first noticed the problem.

Lou

--
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/b2553435-f18a-44d0-ade4-91f2c7eb5474%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
|

Seth Berman
Thanks Richard!

We’ll have a look at this and see about getting it in the 9.2.  Thanks for the great info...not sure this was anywhere on our radar.

- Seth

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 1:11 PM Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Revisiting this thread once more. I was getting bit by this and only recently realized it.

I see that the code which initializes InterruptPeriod was last modified 23 years ago yesterday. (I should have posted this last night!) In 1996, Intel had just released the 300MHz Pentium, so I am guessing 100ms was selected when the fastest PC hardware was 200MHz (if not even longer before that!). System clocks are now 10-15x that speed. It's past time for a refresh on Delay!

I found that reducing InterruptPeriod to 10ms reduced a "1ms delay" to 15.6ms on average. Reducing InterruptPeriod to anything lower than 10ms had no effect.

On my machine, an 8.6.3 image idles at 0.1-0.2% CPU. Decreasing InterruptPeriod to 10ms increased that to 0.8%. Mouse activity over the "100ms image" increased CPU usage to about 1.5%. Mouse activity over the "10ms image" increased its CPU usage to about 2.5%.

It's probably time to give Delay some serious attention. As far as I understand, Windows has two kinds of timers: a low-resolution one (e.g. DOS compatible) and a high-resolution one. (See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/winmsg/about-timers) Additionally, #delayedTasks is a sorted collection, keyed on resumption time. But there are methods which change resumption time without resorting the collection.

Hi Bob,

I don't know anything about SocketSet, but assuming that it ultimately makes a coroutine call to winsock's recv() function to get data from the socket, that function should block until data is available or the connection is broken.  No delays needed.  That's why that sounded strange to me.

Lou

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/b2553435-f18a-44d0-ade4-91f2c7eb5474%40googlegroups.com.
--
-----------------------------------------------------
Seth Berman
President & CEO, Instantiations Inc.
Email: [hidden email]
Twitter: @sethloco78

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/CAO3JmgOzbZhabGR58CQo3ivLyGsuPmMtQgtTm9Gzg1XKTz7%3D7A%40mail.gmail.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I looked at Delay, (I just tried to but it seems a windows update has broken EMSRV, so I can't until I fix that) so my memory may be off a little, that said, I think there are a few areas that I think should be looked at.

Delay always tells the OS to interrupt it every 100 ms.  Whatever clock is being used, changing that value to anything less than about 14 ms has no effect.  If there is any value to having an interrupt at less than 14 ms and I think there is (see below) the clock/interrupt request should be looked at.

As Richard said, "#delayedTasks is a sorted collection, keyed on resumption time.  But there are methods which change resumption time without resorting the collection."  I'm not sure if the collection needs to be resorted because I think everything whose time is up upon a timer interrupt, is set to ready to run, but still it should be sorted.

I would like it if the collection was sorted and then some math done with the time to run of the first process and the current time to get a value for the interrupt time/duration or 100 ms if that is smaller.  This would allow for delays less than 100 ms and delays that should end in less than 100 ms to fire on time.

It would be nice if there were methods to set/get the 100 ms value.  Either the getter or setter exists, I forget which, I added the other.

Lou

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 2:06:47 PM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
Thanks Richard!

We’ll have a look at this and see about getting it in the 9.2.  Thanks for the great info...not sure this was anywhere on our radar.

- Seth

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 1:11 PM Richard Sargent <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="fRsBUuVZBQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">richard...@gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

It's probably time to give Delay some serious attention. As far as I understand, Windows has two kinds of timers: a low-resolution one (e.g. DOS compatible) and a high-resolution one. (See <a href="https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/winmsg/about-timers" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fdocs.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fwindows%2Fdesktop%2Fwinmsg%2Fabout-timers\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFDXJrPYR_7DhV9GDZr-UchBbom6w&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fdocs.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fwindows%2Fdesktop%2Fwinmsg%2Fabout-timers\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFDXJrPYR_7DhV9GDZr-UchBbom6w&#39;;return true;">https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/winmsg/about-timers) Additionally, #delayedTasks is a sorted collection, keyed on resumption time. But there are methods which change resumption time without resorting the collection.

Hi Bob,

I don't know anything about SocketSet, but assuming that it ultimately makes a coroutine call to winsock's recv() function to get data from the socket, that function should block until data is available or the connection is broken.  No delays needed.  That's why that sounded strange to me.

Lou

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="fRsBUuVZBQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">va-sma...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="fRsBUuVZBQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">va-sma...@....
Visit this group at <a href="https://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk.
To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/b2553435-f18a-44d0-ade4-91f2c7eb5474%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/b2553435-f18a-44d0-ade4-91f2c7eb5474%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/b2553435-f18a-44d0-ade4-91f2c7eb5474%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/b2553435-f18a-44d0-ade4-91f2c7eb5474%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
--
-----------------------------------------------------
Seth Berman
President & CEO, Instantiations Inc.
Email: <a href="javascript:" style="color:rgb(0,0,204)" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="fRsBUuVZBQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">sbe...@instantiations.com
Twitter: @sethloco78
LinkedIn: <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/seth-berman" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fseth-berman\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGUCwgCQUfxA1-uQjw1ZVLWWp_-OA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fseth-berman\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGUCwgCQUfxA1-uQjw1ZVLWWp_-OA&#39;;return true;">www.linkedin.com/in/seth-berman

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/a8baff78-2002-4267-92bb-a32b2023f028%40googlegroups.com.