TDD tuto

hayatou
Hello  all,
Where can I find a good tuto on TDD?
regards.
------------------------------------
Hayatou

Re: TDD tuto

Dennis Schetinin
Hi,

If you are talking about TDD + Smalltalk tutorial, I bet there's no of the kind.

If you want to understand TDD I would recomend Beck's "Test-Driven Development: By Example" and Growing Object-Oriented Software Guided by Tests by Freeman and Pryce. I believe these two books open a way to the "pure" TDD.

Best regards,
Dennis Schetinin

On Tuesday, 12 February 2013 г. at 0:36, Hayatou Oumarou wrote:

Hello  all,
Where can I find a good tuto on TDD?
regards.
------------------------------------
Hayatou

Re: TDD tuto

it is not a tutorial but there is a chapter on Sunit on the pharo by example.
Hernan wilkinson did a package to provide a better TDD behavior in Pharo.
You have also autotest by laurent laffont.

We were discussing that we would like to have a specific effort for 3.0 to improve the TDD feel of Pharo.

Stef

On Feb 11, 2013, at 9:36 PM, Hayatou Oumarou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello  all,
Where can I find a good tuto on TDD?
regards.
------------------------------------
Hayatou

Re: TDD tuto

jannik laval
I would like to write a chapter about TDD, for a future book about Pharo.
We can collaborate to do that.

Jannik

--

~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai
http://www.jannik-laval.eu

Re: TDD tuto

Stan Shepherd
Steve Wessels made a great tutorial at:
http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/
...Stan

Re: TDD tuto

Dennis Schetinin
That's a great tutorial indeed, but where is TDD there?

Best regards,
Dennis Schetinin

On Tuesday, 12 February 2013 г. at 12:44, Stan Shepherd wrote:

Steve Wessels made a great tutorial at:
...Stan

Re: TDD tuto

Stan Shepherd
It's all the way through, starting at:
http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/011.html
It's what first switched me on to TDD.

Hayatou, I should have noted that this tutorial is all done in Squeak. If you ignore the details on setting up the environment and project, it should work fine in Pharo.
...Stan

Re: TDD tuto

Attila Magyar
I recommend the GOOS book. The examples are written in java, but recently I started porting it to smalltalk. Some work is still needed, but it is almost complete.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Hayatou Oumarou <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello  all,
Where can I find a good tuto on TDD?
regards.
------------------------------------
Hayatou

Re: TDD tuto

Ben Coman
Stan Shepherd wrote:

> It's all the way through, starting at:
> http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/011.html
> It's what first switched me on to TDD.
>
> Hayatou, I should have noted that this tutorial is all done in Squeak. If
> you ignore the details on setting up the environment and project, it should
> work fine in Pharo.
> ...Stan

I also was going suggest Steve Wessels tutorial - though personally go
for downloading Squeak 3.9 to match what the tutorial was done it.
It would be really great to have this tutorial for Pharo 2.0.

Re: TDD tuto

Ben Coman
Stan Shepherd wrote:

> It's all the way through, starting at:
> http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/011.html
> It's what first switched me on to TDD.
>
> Hayatou, I should have noted that this tutorial is all done in Squeak. If
> you ignore the details on setting up the environment and project, it should
> work fine in Pharo.
> ...Stan

I also was going suggest Steve Wessels tutorial - though personally I
went for downloading Squeak 3.9 to match what the tutorial was written in.
btw, I keep hoping this tutorial might one day be updated for Pharo 2.0.

Re: TDD tuto

Igor Stasenko

Re: TDD tuto

stephane ducasse
+ 1

we do not need 300 pages book for tdd :)
1 You write tests first
        there are red
        you commit
        you start writing your code so that tests are green
        when they are green you commit and take a rest.
then go back point 1

One I wrote a little powerpoint slideMorph this way and it was fun. The code should be in SlideMorph on Squeaksource.

Then the environment can help you by creating on the fly method stubs and the rest.
But the key principle is there.

Re: TDD tuto

Dennis Schetinin
Sorry, I still don't see TDD there. There are unit tests, but no TDD. As in the following examples:
11. Abstract Cell Class
12. Unit Test For Mirror Cell
13. New Methods For Mirror Cell
14. Target Cell
15. Target Cell Unit Test
16. Grid
17. Grid Unit Test
18. Making A Deeper Grid Unit Test
some code is introduced and then(sic!) a test is created.

Best regards,
Dennis Schetinin

On Tuesday, 12 February 2013 г. at 13:09, Stan Shepherd wrote:

It's all the way through, starting at:
It's what first switched me on to TDD.

Hayatou, I should have noted that this tutorial is all done in Squeak. If
you ignore the details on setting up the environment and project, it should
work fine in Pharo.
...Stan

Re: TDD tuto

Dennis Schetinin
On Wednesday, 13 February 2013 г. at 0:09, Igor Stasenko wrote:
I didn't find any test created here, though the idea is the one behind TDD, actually.
Apart from some issues, this one shows a simple TDD process pretty well.

Nice tutorials, thank you for the links. I've missed them somehow.

BTW, here's my attempt to show TDD + Smalltalk (it's VisualWorks though) in action :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Best regards,
Dennis Schetinin

Re: TDD tuto

Dennis Schetinin

Yeah, we don't need a 300-pages book for driving.

1. You get in the car and start engine.
2. You drive where you want.
3. Here you are!

:D

By the way, TDD requires to create only one test during an interation…

Best regards,
Dennis Schetinin

On Wednesday, 13 February 2013 г. at 9:50, stephane ducasse wrote:

+ 1

we do not need 300 pages book for tdd :)
1 You write tests first
there are red
you commit
you start writing your code so that tests are green
when they are green you commit and take a rest.
then go back point 1

One I wrote a little powerpoint slideMorph this way and it was fun. The code should be in SlideMorph on Squeaksource.

Then the environment can help you by creating on the fly method stubs and the rest.
But the key principle is there.

Re: TDD tuto

Rafael Luque
This is another screencast related with TDD:

http://www.pharocasts.com/2011/02/stringcalculator-kata.html

Regards,

Rafael Luque