TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez
Dear all,

I would like to announce Torch, a tool for supporting source-code change integration. For now, it offers visualizations of the changes and enhanced change lists.
Torch can be accessed through Monticello (in the main MC browser, in the repository browser or in the history browser). Selecting a version or slice, you can view the changes with Torch using the contextual menu.
Once you open the Torch dashboard, you can access the enhanced change list or a detailed visualization via the contextual menu as well.

Torch is available on SqueakSource, the repository is named Torch, and you need to load the ConfigurationOfTorch package.
It runs in a dev or core image.

For a dev image.
- ConfigurationOfTorch loadVersion10

For a core image.
1) Set fonts - described in the attached file.
2) ConfigurationOfTorch loadDefault

I would appreciate comments and feedback!

Best Regards,
Verónica Uquillas Gómez
Vrije University Brussel - SOFT Lab
University of Lille - RMOD Team

torchFontsScript.st (572 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks veronica.
lukas said that he was impressed this is a complement :)

On May 18, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to announce Torch, a tool for supporting source-code change integration. For now, it offers visualizations of the changes and enhanced change lists.
> Torch can be accessed through Monticello (in the main MC browser, in the repository browser or in the history browser). Selecting a version or slice, you can view the changes with Torch using the contextual menu.
> Once you open the Torch dashboard, you can access the enhanced change list or a detailed visualization via the contextual menu as well.
>
> Torch is available on SqueakSource, the repository is named Torch, and you need to load the ConfigurationOfTorch package.
> It runs in a dev or core image.
>
> For a dev image.
> - ConfigurationOfTorch loadVersion10
>
> For a core image.
> 1) Set fonts - described in the attached file.
> 2) ConfigurationOfTorch loadDefault
>
> I would appreciate comments and feedback!
>
> Best Regards,
> Verónica Uquillas Gómez
> Vrije University Brussel - SOFT Lab
> University of Lille - RMOD Team
>
> <torchFontsScript.st>

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Tudor Girba
Hi Veronica,

It is pretty impressive :).

Would it be Ok if I added this on the Moose page?

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 May 2010, at 11:21, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks veronica.
> lukas said that he was impressed this is a complement :)
>
> On May 18, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to announce Torch, a tool for supporting source-code
>> change integration. For now, it offers visualizations of the
>> changes and enhanced change lists.
>> Torch can be accessed through Monticello (in the main MC browser,
>> in the repository browser or in the history browser). Selecting a
>> version or slice, you can view the changes with Torch using the
>> contextual menu.
>> Once you open the Torch dashboard, you can access the enhanced
>> change list or a detailed visualization via the contextual menu as
>> well.
>>
>> Torch is available on SqueakSource, the repository is named Torch,
>> and you need to load the ConfigurationOfTorch package.
>> It runs in a dev or core image.
>>
>> For a dev image.
>> - ConfigurationOfTorch loadVersion10
>>
>> For a core image.
>> 1) Set fonts - described in the attached file.
>> 2) ConfigurationOfTorch loadDefault
>>
>> I would appreciate comments and feedback!
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Verónica Uquillas Gómez
>> Vrije University Brussel - SOFT Lab
>> University of Lille - RMOD Team
>>
>> <torchFontsScript.st>

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of
problem understanding."

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hola Verónica!

I love it!!! nice, very nice :)

I will give you more feedback as far as I start to use it.
The only thing I would add is a button in the MC. Look the attached screenshot. It would be cool not only to have it in the context menu, but in the MC broser...for example, next to "changes" button a "torch" button or something like that.

I really like it. Moose and all it tools seems to be working in Pharo 1.1 so....maybe if people agree we can include this cool tool together with Mondrian and Glamour ?  They have 460 green tests :)

DEV!!!!!!!!

:)

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Picture 5.png (155K) Download Attachment

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

veronica

I would love to have the two clouds on the same page :)
Doru we are looking for a nice way to represent the left top corner (which summarize the changes) if you have any idea.

Stef

On May 18, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to announce Torch, a tool for supporting source-code change integration. For now, it offers visualizations of the changes and enhanced change lists.
> Torch can be accessed through Monticello (in the main MC browser, in the repository browser or in the history browser). Selecting a version or slice, you can view the changes with Torch using the contextual menu.
> Once you open the Torch dashboard, you can access the enhanced change list or a detailed visualization via the contextual menu as well.
>
> Torch is available on SqueakSource, the repository is named Torch, and you need to load the ConfigurationOfTorch package.
> It runs in a dev or core image.
>
> For a dev image.
> - ConfigurationOfTorch loadVersion10
>
> For a core image.
> 1) Set fonts - described in the attached file.
> 2) ConfigurationOfTorch loadDefault
>
> I would appreciate comments and feedback!
>
> Best Regards,
> Verónica Uquillas Gómez
> Vrije University Brussel - SOFT Lab
> University of Lille - RMOD Team
>
> <torchFontsScript.st>

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Henrik Sperre Johansen

Den 18.05.2010 12:12, skrev Mariano Martinez Peck:

> Hola Verónica!
>
> I love it!!! nice, very nice :)
>
> I will give you more feedback as far as I start to use it.
> The only thing I would add is a button in the MC. Look the attached
> screenshot. It would be cool not only to have it in the context menu,
> but in the MC broser...for example, next to "changes" button a "torch"
> button or something like that.
>
> I really like it. Moose and all it tools seems to be working in Pharo
> 1.1 so....maybe if people agree we can include this cool tool together
> with Mondrian and Glamour ?  They have 460 green tests :)
Strange, for me it lead to errors in 1.1 because:
- It depends on Momo10 (MorphTreeMorph)
- This has been integrated into Morphic in 1.1
- The "old" tree was missing methods (rowInset:) used by the settings
browser, so that broke.

Soooo, Metacello tags with version info as well coming soon?
I really haven't followed that discussion :)

Cheers,
Henry

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Stéphane Ducasse
henrik

did you try on 1.1?

Stef

On May 18, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> Den 18.05.2010 12:12, skrev Mariano Martinez Peck:
>> Hola Verónica!
>>
>> I love it!!! nice, very nice :)
>>
>> I will give you more feedback as far as I start to use it.
>> The only thing I would add is a button in the MC. Look the attached
>> screenshot. It would be cool not only to have it in the context menu,
>> but in the MC broser...for example, next to "changes" button a "torch"
>> button or something like that.
>>
>> I really like it. Moose and all it tools seems to be working in Pharo
>> 1.1 so....maybe if people agree we can include this cool tool together
>> with Mondrian and Glamour ?  They have 460 green tests :)
> Strange, for me it lead to errors in 1.1 because:
> - It depends on Momo10 (MorphTreeMorph)
> - This has been integrated into Morphic in 1.1
> - The "old" tree was missing methods (rowInset:) used by the settings
> browser, so that broke.
>
> Soooo, Metacello tags with version info as well coming soon?
> I really haven't followed that discussion :)
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Yes, that is where it broke....

On May 18, 2010, at 2:32 30PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> henrik
>
> did you try on 1.1?
>
> Stef
>
> On May 18, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:
>

>> Den 18.05.2010 12:12, skrev Mariano Martinez Peck:
>>> Hola Verónica!
>>>
>>> I love it!!! nice, very nice :)
>>>
>>> I will give you more feedback as far as I start to use it.
>>> The only thing I would add is a button in the MC. Look the attached
>>> screenshot. It would be cool not only to have it in the context menu,
>>> but in the MC broser...for example, next to "changes" button a "torch"
>>> button or something like that.
>>>
>>> I really like it. Moose and all it tools seems to be working in Pharo
>>> 1.1 so....maybe if people agree we can include this cool tool together
>>> with Mondrian and Glamour ?  They have 460 green tests :)
>> Strange, for me it lead to errors in 1.1 because:
>> - It depends on Momo10 (MorphTreeMorph)
>> - This has been integrated into Morphic in 1.1
>> - The "old" tree was missing methods (rowInset:) used by the settings
>> browser, so that broke.
>>
>> Soooo, Metacello tags with version info as well coming soon?
>> I really haven't followed that discussion :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Henry

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Henrik Sperre Johansen
In particular, this prereq in ConfigurationOfGlamour caused it:
baseline20beta4: spec
        spec for: #common do: [
        *snip*
        spec package: 'Morphic-MorphTreeWidget' with: [
                spec repository: 'http://squeaksource.com/Momo10'];
        *snip*
]

As I said, since MorphTreeWidget is already part of 1.1Core, this caused an older version of the widget to load.

Since Settings Browser uses methods found in the newer version in Core, loading Glamour caused it to DNU when I tried opening a Settings Browser.

Cheers,
Henry

On May 18, 2010, at 2:41 15PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> Yes, that is where it broke....
>

> On May 18, 2010, at 2:32 30PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> henrik
>>
>> did you try on 1.1?
>>
>> Stef

>>> Strange, for me it lead to errors in 1.1 because:
>>> - It depends on Momo10 (MorphTreeMorph)
>>> - This has been integrated into Morphic in 1.1
>>> - The "old" tree was missing methods (rowInset:) used by the settings
>>> browser, so that broke.
>>>
>>> Soooo, Metacello tags with version info as well coming soon?
>>> I really haven't followed that discussion :)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Henry

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez
Hi Tudor,

thank you :D

sure!!!

cheers,
Veronica

On 18 May 2010, at 11:39, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Veronica,
>
> It is pretty impressive :).
>
> Would it be Ok if I added this on the Moose page?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 18 May 2010, at 11:21, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Thanks veronica.
>> lukas said that he was impressed this is a complement :)
>>
>> On May 18, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I would like to announce Torch, a tool for supporting source-code change integration. For now, it offers visualizations of the changes and enhanced change lists.
>>> Torch can be accessed through Monticello (in the main MC browser, in the repository browser or in the history browser). Selecting a version or slice, you can view the changes with Torch using the contextual menu.
>>> Once you open the Torch dashboard, you can access the enhanced change list or a detailed visualization via the contextual menu as well.
>>>
>>> Torch is available on SqueakSource, the repository is named Torch, and you need to load the ConfigurationOfTorch package.
>>> It runs in a dev or core image.
>>>
>>> For a dev image.
>>> - ConfigurationOfTorch loadVersion10
>>>
>>> For a core image.
>>> 1) Set fonts - described in the attached file.
>>> 2) ConfigurationOfTorch loadDefault
>>>
>>> I would appreciate comments and feedback!
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Verónica Uquillas Gómez
>>> Vrije University Brussel - SOFT Lab
>>> University of Lille - RMOD Team
>>>
>>> <torchFontsScript.st>

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Tudor Girba
Hi Veronica,

A bit of feedback:
- After loading Torch, the package contextual menu seems to crash the
Monticello Browser
- You extend isSuper in RBProgramNode and RBVariableNode, which
generates an override conflict with methods in Moose-Core.
- The Glamour tags look different, so I guess you also have some
Glamour overrides. That should not happen :). Maybe you have some
suggestions for improvement, or maybe you just need the border for the
[i] icon?

Cheers,
Doru

On May 19, 2010, at 12:47 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Veronica,
>
> A bit of feedback:
> - After loading Torch, the package contextual menu seems to crash the Monticello Browser
> - You extend isSuper in RBProgramNode and RBVariableNode, which generates an override conflict with methods in Moose-Core.

may be moose should have a look at the new AST-semantics package that lukas created because veronica used that ones
originally and after a discussing with lukas he created ast-semantics

> - The Glamour tags look different, so I guess you also have some Glamour overrides. That should not happen :). Maybe you have some suggestions for improvement, or maybe you just need the border for the [i] icon?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 18 May 2010, at 15:16, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez wrote:
>
>> Hi Tudor,
>>
>> thank you :D
>>
>> sure!!!
>>
>> cheers,
>> Veronica
>>

>> On 18 May 2010, at 11:39, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Veronica,
>>>
>>> It is pretty impressive :).
>>>
>>> Would it be Ok if I added this on the Moose page?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez
Hi Henry

Indeed you are right, and that prerequisite is the only one which is overriding code...
I was doing some tests, and I think I can remove it for a core image configuration, will discuss with Tudor

regards,
Veronica

On 18 May 2010, at 14:58, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> In particular, this prereq in ConfigurationOfGlamour caused it:
> baseline20beta4: spec
> spec for: #common do: [
> *snip*
> spec package: 'Morphic-MorphTreeWidget' with: [
> spec repository: 'http://squeaksource.com/Momo10'];
> *snip*
> ]
>
> As I said, since MorphTreeWidget is already part of 1.1Core, this caused an older version of the widget to load.
>
> Since Settings Browser uses methods found in the newer version in Core, loading Glamour caused it to DNU when I tried opening a Settings Browser.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>

> On May 18, 2010, at 2:41 15PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:
>
>> Yes, that is where it broke....
>>

>> On May 18, 2010, at 2:32 30PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> henrik
>>>
>>> did you try on 1.1?
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez
Hola Mariano,

Yup, I considered that but as there are already many buttons, I never tried..
Will try it anyway...

gracias,
Veronica

On 18 May 2010, at 12:12, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

[...]

- could you be more specific, when does the MC browser crash?, i haven't noticed any problem with it.
- Yup, Lukas created the AST-semantics package, and I have to include it
- No, I am not overriding code, that is a setting already included in Glamour, but true, the border is a cleaner solution... will take a look

thank you,
Veronica

On 19 May 2010, at 08:50, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On May 19, 2010, at 12:47 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi Veronica,
>>
>> A bit of feedback:
>> - After loading Torch, the package contextual menu seems to crash the Monticello Browser
>> - You extend isSuper in RBProgramNode and RBVariableNode, which generates an override conflict with methods in Moose-Core.
>
> may be moose should have a look at the new AST-semantics package that lukas created because veronica used that ones
> originally and after a discussing with lukas he created ast-semantics
>
>> - The Glamour tags look different, so I guess you also have some Glamour overrides. That should not happen :). Maybe you have some suggestions for improvement, or maybe you just need the border for the [i] icon?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 18 May 2010, at 15:16, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tudor,
>>>
>>> thank you :D
>>>
>>> sure!!!
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Veronica

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

do not add more buttons
It would be better to use <menu> and cretae them automatically then yous would just be added dynamically.

Stef

On 18 May 2010, at 12:55, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> veronica
>
> I would love to have the two clouds on the same page :)

or maybe mixed together, and you see the symbols in greed and red!!

> Doru we are looking for a nice way to represent the left top corner (which summarize the changes) if you have any idea.

thinking to add icons and tags in that panel, instead of plain text

> Stef
>
> On May 18, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to announce Torch, a tool for supporting source-code change integration. For now, it offers visualizations of the changes and enhanced change lists.
>> Torch can be accessed through Monticello (in the main MC browser, in the repository browser or in the history browser). Selecting a version or slice, you can view the changes with Torch using the contextual menu.
>> Once you open the Torch dashboard, you can access the enhanced change list or a detailed visualization via the contextual menu as well.
>>
>> Torch is available on SqueakSource, the repository is named Torch, and you need to load the ConfigurationOfTorch package.
>> It runs in a dev or core image.
>>
>> For a dev image.
>> - ConfigurationOfTorch loadVersion10
>>
>> For a core image.
>> 1) Set fonts - described in the attached file.
>> 2) ConfigurationOfTorch loadDefault
>>
>> I would appreciate comments and feedback!
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Verónica Uquillas Gómez
>> Vrije University Brussel - SOFT Lab
>> University of Lille - RMOD Team
>>
>> <torchFontsScript.st>

Re: TORCH: supporting source-code change integration

Hi veronica

I wanted to use Torch to check inbox published change and I get
TCTrait>>parAuthorAlia....

When I tried to look at Slice-hasEqualElement (using Torch build on 11370)

Stef

On 19 May 2010, at 00:47, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Veronica,
>
> A bit of feedback:
> - After loading Torch, the package contextual menu seems to crash the Monticello Browser

i found and solved this problem...

> - You extend isSuper in RBProgramNode and RBVariableNode, which generates an override conflict with methods in Moose-Core.

solved by using AST-Semantics