Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TWM doesn't work without keymappins and keymappings doesn't work

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys. I was trying to use TWM in Pharo 1.3 release. TWM brings with keymappings, which breaks the shortcuts of my image. For example, after installing keymappings I cannot close windows anymore with cmd + w  or I cannot run tests from the browser using cmd + t.  So i installed TWM without keybinding but now I cannot open the settings window because keymappings is not load.

Any solution? (install TWM without keymappings or fixing keymappings)

thanks!

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: TWM doesn't work without keymappins and keymappings doesn't work

laurent laffont
On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys. I was trying to use TWM in Pharo 1.3 release. TWM brings with keymappings, which breaks the shortcuts of my image. For example, after installing keymappings I cannot close windows anymore with cmd + w  or I cannot run tests from the browser using cmd + t.  So i installed TWM without keybinding but now I cannot open the settings window because keymappings is not load.

I can make Keymapping dependency optional, should not be a lot of work - split TilingWMSettings class and put the Keymapping part in another package.

That said, Keymapping is a great feature for TWM (I always use it), so would be cool to add "Close Window" and "Run Test" - (I can add Close Window to TWM).

Waiting for feedback, you can load this one in Pharo 1.3 that will work:

Gofer it
squeaksource: 'TilingWindowManager';
version: 'TWM-CheckKeymapping-LaurentLaffont.76';
load 

Laurent.

thanks!

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:04 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I can make Keymapping dependency optional, should not be a lot of work - split TilingWMSettings class and put the Keymapping part in another package.

That said, Keymapping is a great feature for TWM (I always use it), so would be cool to add "Close Window" and "Run Test" - (I can add Close Window to TWM).

Yes, the problem is that I found those just by chance (because are those I use all the time), but I am worried if there are even more shortcuts that are broken...

Waiting for feedback, you can load this one in Pharo 1.3 that will work:

Gofer it
version: 'TWM-CheckKeymapping-LaurentLaffont.76';
load 

Thanks, I will test it.

Laurent.

thanks!

--
Mariano

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
In reply to this post by Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys. I was trying to use TWM in Pharo 1.3 release. TWM brings with keymappings, which breaks the shortcuts of my image.

The main problem here is that it's not integrated with current tools (i.e. OB).  If you just load Keymapping you will have an image where:
- lots of shortcuts are hardcoded
- some shortcuts like OB's are handled with it's own and specific way/framework

Having keymapping living with those, introduces a third way of handling shortcuts (yeap, it's not good enough, but It's not easy to remove all the old code in a row ).  So, the following problems happens:

- first of all, there are shortcuts collisions.  If a morph handles cmd + a and its owner handles cmd + a, cmd + b, the owner morph will never handle the shortcut because it was handled by it's child first.
- second.  It's hard to keep track and find every hardcoded shortcut :).  And furthermore,  this leads in the fact that I cannot easily analyse shortcuts collisions between keymapping and hardcoded shortcuts.

So, how does Keymapping live with that by now?
1) a keyEvent reaches a morph
2) the morph delegates the handling in keymapping (bubbling until the world instance).
3) if keymapping does not handle the shortcut, It is delegated to the old-hardcoded shortcuts (so the original behavior is still there yet)

All this is just to understand what is happening and where the errors come from :P

For example, after installing keymappings I cannot close windows anymore with cmd + w  or I cannot run tests from the browser using cmd + t. 

So far, I've found those two collisions in keymapping 1.9 and one more in keymapping+TWM:

1) Cmd+w was defined for TextEditor for delete backword.

Esteban already complained about this, so I've changed it in 2.0 for Cmd + Backspace
This shortcut was taken from SimpleEditor, in #initializeCmdKeyShortcuts.  I don't know if it should be there or not.

2) Cmd+t from omnibrowser was colliding with some global shortcuts I defined in the initial versions of keymapping to play opening a test runner, a browser, a monticello browser.

I've fixed it removing the global shortcuts by now (because I'm not conviced the key combinations are nice).

3) When loading TWM + Keymapping, I realized the cmd+w was not working again.  Wandering, I found that the TWM shortcuts were defined for a lot of morphs, in this way, causing a little of trouble:

{PasteUpMorph. SystemWindow. SmalltalkEditor. TextEditor. PluggableTextMorph} do: [:aClass|
        aBuilder
            attachShortcutCategory: self shortcutCategory
            to: aClass.
    ].

But replacing it by

aBuilder
            to: PasteUpMorph.

should be working the same way :/.
Laurent, did you have any problems when not attaching the categories in this way?.

Also: TWM by default has a lot of (cmd+w, ...) mappings colliding with the window cmd+w shortcut.  So the window shortcut or the TWM ones are to be sacrificed :P.

So i installed TWM without keybinding but now I cannot open the settings window because keymappings is not load.

I've done some fixes and improvements to keymapping, and I've created a 2.0 version where:

- the collisions below are fixed
- keymaps can be configured per morph instance too (not only per class, as the former version)
- some little improvements and code cleaning

But those things I remarked of TWM should be reviewed :)

Or you can Use twm without keymappings and I'll have no more feedback :(

thanks!

Thank you :)

Guille
Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont

Hi Guillermo,

thanks a lot for these informations.

3) When loading TWM + Keymapping, I realized the cmd+w was not working again.  Wandering, I found that the TWM shortcuts were defined for a lot of morphs, in this way, causing a little of trouble:

{PasteUpMorph. SystemWindow. SmalltalkEditor. TextEditor. PluggableTextMorph} do: [:aClass|
        aBuilder
            to: aClass.
    ].

But replacing it by

aBuilder
            to: PasteUpMorph.

should be working the same way :/.
Laurent, did you have any problems when not attaching the categories in this way?.

I think I've done that because TWM shortcuts are not handled when the focus is on a TextEditor, because of the cmd+w collision. 

Also: TWM by default has a lot of (cmd+w, ...) mappings colliding with the window cmd+w shortcut.  So the window shortcut or the TWM ones are to be sacrificed :P.

OK so cmd+w is definitely not a good prefix for TWM shortcuts. Is cmd+m  better ? 

So i installed TWM without keybinding but now I cannot open the settings window because keymappings is not load.

I've done some fixes and improvements to keymapping, and I've created a 2.0 version where:

- keymaps can be configured per morph instance too (not only per class, as the former version)

Thanks !

TWM without Keymapping is not really interesting. I will produce new versions of TWM.

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito
Hi guillermo

I would like to push Keymapping in the core.
Do you think that it is ready?
Like that we could remove the hardcoded way.
Stef

>
>
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys. I was trying to use TWM in Pharo 1.3 release. TWM brings with keymappings, which breaks the shortcuts of my image.
>
> The main problem here is that it's not integrated with current tools (i.e. OB).  If you just load Keymapping you will have an image where:
> - lots of shortcuts are hardcoded
> - some shortcuts like OB's are handled with it's own and specific way/framework
>
> Having keymapping living with those, introduces a third way of handling shortcuts (yeap, it's not good enough, but It's not easy to remove all the old code in a row ).  So, the following problems happens:
>
> - first of all, there are shortcuts collisions.  If a morph handles cmd + a and its owner handles cmd + a, cmd + b, the owner morph will never handle the shortcut because it was handled by it's child first.
> - second.  It's hard to keep track and find every hardcoded shortcut :).  And furthermore,  this leads in the fact that I cannot easily analyse shortcuts collisions between keymapping and hardcoded shortcuts.
>
> So, how does Keymapping live with that by now?
> 1) a keyEvent reaches a morph
> 2) the morph delegates the handling in keymapping (bubbling until the world instance).
> 3) if keymapping does not handle the shortcut, It is delegated to the old-hardcoded shortcuts (so the original behavior is still there yet)
>  
> All this is just to understand what is happening and where the errors come from :P
>
> For example, after installing keymappings I cannot close windows anymore with cmd + w  or I cannot run tests from the browser using cmd + t.
>
> So far, I've found those two collisions in keymapping 1.9 and one more in keymapping+TWM:
>
> 1) Cmd+w was defined for TextEditor for delete backword.
>
> Esteban already complained about this, so I've changed it in 2.0 for Cmd + Backspace
> This shortcut was taken from SimpleEditor, in #initializeCmdKeyShortcuts.  I don't know if it should be there or not.
>
>  2) Cmd+t from omnibrowser was colliding with some global shortcuts I defined in the initial versions of keymapping to play opening a test runner, a browser, a monticello browser.
>
> I've fixed it removing the global shortcuts by now (because I'm not conviced the key combinations are nice).
>
> 3) When loading TWM + Keymapping, I realized the cmd+w was not working again.  Wandering, I found that the TWM shortcuts were defined for a lot of morphs, in this way, causing a little of trouble:
>
>     {PasteUpMorph. SystemWindow. SmalltalkEditor. TextEditor. PluggableTextMorph} do: [:aClass|
>         aBuilder
>             attachShortcutCategory: self shortcutCategory
>             to: aClass.
>     ].
>
> But replacing it by
>
> aBuilder
>             to: PasteUpMorph.
>
> should be working the same way :/.
> Laurent, did you have any problems when not attaching the categories in this way?.
>
> Also: TWM by default has a lot of (cmd+w, ...) mappings colliding with the window cmd+w shortcut.  So the window shortcut or the TWM ones are to be sacrificed :P.
>
>
> So i installed TWM without keybinding but now I cannot open the settings window because keymappings is not load.
>
> Any solution? (install TWM without keymappings or fixing keymappings)
>
> I've done some fixes and improvements to keymapping, and I've created a 2.0 version where:
>
> - the collisions below are fixed
> - keymaps can be configured per morph instance too (not only per class, as the former version)
> - some little improvements and code cleaning
>
> But those things I remarked of TWM should be reviewed :)
>
> Or you can Use twm without keymappings and I'll have no more feedback :(
>  
>
> thanks!
>
> Thank you :)
>
> Guille

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont
In reply to this post by laurent laffont

OK so cmd+w is definitely not a good prefix for TWM shortcuts. Is cmd+m  better ? 

oups Cmd+m not a good idea :) I struggle to find a good prefix.....

Laurent.

Thanks !

TWM without Keymapping is not really interesting. I will produce new versions of TWM.

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Guille for the whole work :)

Laurent: let me know when I can use TWM properly with this latest version of keymappings.

Thanks guys

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:11 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

Laurent.

Thanks !

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont
On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Laurent: let me know when I can use TWM properly with this latest version of keymappings.

There's a new (development) version:
- package TWM split into several packages
- KeyMapping 2.0
- TWM shortcut prefix is now Cmd+r  (see TWMKeymapping class>>#shortcuts for default shortcuts. Feel free to adapt and suggests better ones).
- You can load TWM without KeyMapping using: ConfigurationOfTilingWindowManager  loadDevelopmentWithoutKeyMapping.

As a side note, this is the configuration I use in my Pharo images:

Gofer it
package: 'ConfigurationOfTilingWindowManager';
load. 
(Smalltalk at:#ConfigurationOfTilingWindowManager) loadDevelopment.
(Smalltalk at:#TWMUITheme) beCurrent. 
TaskbarMorph  showTaskbar: false.
TasklistMorph keepOpen: true.
(Smalltalk at:#TWMBar) perform: #showTWMBar: with: true.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Thanks guys

Laurent.

Thanks !

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Laurent. It is working. Maybe you can show the shortcuts lists from some menu or somewhere from TWM? otherwise none user will ever see it ...

thanks!

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 2:49 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

- KeyMapping 2.0
- TWM shortcut prefix is now Cmd+r  (see TWMKeymapping class>>#shortcuts for default shortcuts. Feel free to adapt and suggests better ones).
- You can load TWM without KeyMapping using: ConfigurationOfTilingWindowManager  loadDevelopmentWithoutKeyMapping.

Gofer it
load. 

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Thanks guys

Laurent.

Thanks !

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

--
Mariano

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont
On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Laurent. It is working. Maybe you can show the shortcuts lists from some menu or somewhere from TWM? otherwise none user will ever see it ...

Open the Settings Browser, all KeyMapping shortcuts under Keymappings and you can change them :)

Laurent

thanks!

- KeyMapping 2.0

Gofer it
load. 

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Thanks guys

Laurent.

Thanks !

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

--
Mariano

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 5:11 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

Haha! If you do that you'll lose the implementors shortcut :P.

BTW, I think the whole shortcuts are to be rethought.  Maybe the UI centered team can make some suggestion :).  I can only think right now in the shortcut sets of eclipse or jetbrains tools...

Laurent.

Thanks !

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
In reply to this post by Stéphane Ducasse
Hi!

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guillermo

I would like to push Keymapping in the core.
Do you think that it is ready?

I think it has not ugly bugs.  Esteban (another early adopter :D) found some little issues I fixed in the last weeks.  Also, most issues (like the ones of this email) usually appear from inconsistent shortcut definitions, not from a bug in the framework.
I don't know how other users (if any) feel it, but I feel it stable enough.

But, on the other way, until I make experience integrating it with OB, task manager, etc..  I don't know if it fits every usage in the image, so I don't know if it needs to be changed in some way :).  But it is difficult to make it evolve right now...

Guille

Like that we could remove the hardcoded way.
Stef
>
>
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys. I was trying to use TWM in Pharo 1.3 release. TWM brings with keymappings, which breaks the shortcuts of my image.
>
> The main problem here is that it's not integrated with current tools (i.e. OB).  If you just load Keymapping you will have an image where:
> - lots of shortcuts are hardcoded
> - some shortcuts like OB's are handled with it's own and specific way/framework
>
> Having keymapping living with those, introduces a third way of handling shortcuts (yeap, it's not good enough, but It's not easy to remove all the old code in a row ).  So, the following problems happens:
>
> - first of all, there are shortcuts collisions.  If a morph handles cmd + a and its owner handles cmd + a, cmd + b, the owner morph will never handle the shortcut because it was handled by it's child first.
> - second.  It's hard to keep track and find every hardcoded shortcut :).  And furthermore,  this leads in the fact that I cannot easily analyse shortcuts collisions between keymapping and hardcoded shortcuts.
>
> So, how does Keymapping live with that by now?
> 1) a keyEvent reaches a morph
> 2) the morph delegates the handling in keymapping (bubbling until the world instance).
> 3) if keymapping does not handle the shortcut, It is delegated to the old-hardcoded shortcuts (so the original behavior is still there yet)
>
> All this is just to understand what is happening and where the errors come from :P
>
> For example, after installing keymappings I cannot close windows anymore with cmd + w  or I cannot run tests from the browser using cmd + t.
>
> So far, I've found those two collisions in keymapping 1.9 and one more in keymapping+TWM:
>
> 1) Cmd+w was defined for TextEditor for delete backword.
>
> Esteban already complained about this, so I've changed it in 2.0 for Cmd + Backspace
> This shortcut was taken from SimpleEditor, in #initializeCmdKeyShortcuts.  I don't know if it should be there or not.
>
>  2) Cmd+t from omnibrowser was colliding with some global shortcuts I defined in the initial versions of keymapping to play opening a test runner, a browser, a monticello browser.
>
> I've fixed it removing the global shortcuts by now (because I'm not conviced the key combinations are nice).
>
> 3) When loading TWM + Keymapping, I realized the cmd+w was not working again.  Wandering, I found that the TWM shortcuts were defined for a lot of morphs, in this way, causing a little of trouble:
>
>     {PasteUpMorph. SystemWindow. SmalltalkEditor. TextEditor. PluggableTextMorph} do: [:aClass|
>         aBuilder
>             to: aClass.
>     ].
>
> But replacing it by
>
> aBuilder
>             to: PasteUpMorph.
>
> should be working the same way :/.
> Laurent, did you have any problems when not attaching the categories in this way?.
>
> Also: TWM by default has a lot of (cmd+w, ...) mappings colliding with the window cmd+w shortcut.  So the window shortcut or the TWM ones are to be sacrificed :P.
>
>
> So i installed TWM without keybinding but now I cannot open the settings window because keymappings is not load.
>
> Any solution? (install TWM without keymappings or fixing keymappings)
>
> I've done some fixes and improvements to keymapping, and I've created a 2.0 version where:
>
> - the collisions below are fixed
> - keymaps can be configured per morph instance too (not only per class, as the former version)
> - some little improvements and code cleaning
>
> But those things I remarked of TWM should be reviewed :)
>
> Or you can Use twm without keymappings and I'll have no more feedback :(
>
>
> thanks!
>
> Thank you :)
>
> Guille

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
>
>
> I think it has not ugly bugs.  Esteban (another early adopter :D) found some little issues I fixed in the last weeks.  Also, most issues (like the ones of this email) usually appear from inconsistent shortcut definitions, not from a bug in the framework.

good

> I don't know how other users (if any) feel it, but I feel it stable enough.
>
> But, on the other way, until I make experience integrating it with OB, task manager, etc..  I don't know if it fits every usage in the image, so I don't know if it needs to be changed in some way :).

we could push it inside and hook it and learn.

>  But it is difficult to make it evolve right now...
why?

>
> Guille
>  
> Like that we could remove the hardcoded way.
> Stef
> >
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi guys. I was trying to use TWM in Pharo 1.3 release. TWM brings with keymappings, which breaks the shortcuts of my image.
> >
> > The main problem here is that it's not integrated with current tools (i.e. OB).  If you just load Keymapping you will have an image where:
> > - lots of shortcuts are hardcoded
> > - some shortcuts like OB's are handled with it's own and specific way/framework
> >
> > Having keymapping living with those, introduces a third way of handling shortcuts (yeap, it's not good enough, but It's not easy to remove all the old code in a row ).  So, the following problems happens:
> >
> > - first of all, there are shortcuts collisions.  If a morph handles cmd + a and its owner handles cmd + a, cmd + b, the owner morph will never handle the shortcut because it was handled by it's child first.
> > - second.  It's hard to keep track and find every hardcoded shortcut :).  And furthermore,  this leads in the fact that I cannot easily analyse shortcuts collisions between keymapping and hardcoded shortcuts.
> >
> > So, how does Keymapping live with that by now?
> > 1) a keyEvent reaches a morph
> > 2) the morph delegates the handling in keymapping (bubbling until the world instance).
> > 3) if keymapping does not handle the shortcut, It is delegated to the old-hardcoded shortcuts (so the original behavior is still there yet)
> >
> > All this is just to understand what is happening and where the errors come from :P
> >
> > For example, after installing keymappings I cannot close windows anymore with cmd + w  or I cannot run tests from the browser using cmd + t.
> >
> > So far, I've found those two collisions in keymapping 1.9 and one more in keymapping+TWM:
> >
> > 1) Cmd+w was defined for TextEditor for delete backword.
> >
> > Esteban already complained about this, so I've changed it in 2.0 for Cmd + Backspace
> > This shortcut was taken from SimpleEditor, in #initializeCmdKeyShortcuts.  I don't know if it should be there or not.
> >
> >  2) Cmd+t from omnibrowser was colliding with some global shortcuts I defined in the initial versions of keymapping to play opening a test runner, a browser, a monticello browser.
> >
> > I've fixed it removing the global shortcuts by now (because I'm not conviced the key combinations are nice).
> >
> > 3) When loading TWM + Keymapping, I realized the cmd+w was not working again.  Wandering, I found that the TWM shortcuts were defined for a lot of morphs, in this way, causing a little of trouble:
> >
> >     {PasteUpMorph. SystemWindow. SmalltalkEditor. TextEditor. PluggableTextMorph} do: [:aClass|
> >         aBuilder
> >             attachShortcutCategory: self shortcutCategory
> >             to: aClass.
> >     ].
> >
> > But replacing it by
> >
> > aBuilder
> >             to: PasteUpMorph.
> >
> > should be working the same way :/.
> > Laurent, did you have any problems when not attaching the categories in this way?.
> >
> > Also: TWM by default has a lot of (cmd+w, ...) mappings colliding with the window cmd+w shortcut.  So the window shortcut or the TWM ones are to be sacrificed :P.
> >
> >
> > So i installed TWM without keybinding but now I cannot open the settings window because keymappings is not load.
> >
> > Any solution? (install TWM without keymappings or fixing keymappings)
> >
> > I've done some fixes and improvements to keymapping, and I've created a 2.0 version where:
> >
> > - the collisions below are fixed
> > - keymaps can be configured per morph instance too (not only per class, as the former version)
> > - some little improvements and code cleaning
> >
> > But those things I remarked of TWM should be reviewed :)
> >
> > Or you can Use twm without keymappings and I'll have no more feedback :(
> >
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > Thank you :)
> >
> > Guille
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> I think it has not ugly bugs.  Esteban (another early adopter :D) found some little issues I fixed in the last weeks.  Also, most issues (like the ones of this email) usually appear from inconsistent shortcut definitions, not from a bug in the framework.

good

> I don't know how other users (if any) feel it, but I feel it stable enough.
>
> But, on the other way, until I make experience integrating it with OB, task manager, etc..  I don't know if it fits every usage in the image, so I don't know if it needs to be changed in some way :).

we could push it inside and hook it and learn.

>  But it is difficult to make it evolve right now...
why?

No time, no feedback :).

>
> Guille
>
> Like that we could remove the hardcoded way.
> Stef
> >
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi guys. I was trying to use TWM in Pharo 1.3 release. TWM brings with keymappings, which breaks the shortcuts of my image.
> >
> > The main problem here is that it's not integrated with current tools (i.e. OB).  If you just load Keymapping you will have an image where:
> > - lots of shortcuts are hardcoded
> > - some shortcuts like OB's are handled with it's own and specific way/framework
> >
> > Having keymapping living with those, introduces a third way of handling shortcuts (yeap, it's not good enough, but It's not easy to remove all the old code in a row ).  So, the following problems happens:
> >
> > - first of all, there are shortcuts collisions.  If a morph handles cmd + a and its owner handles cmd + a, cmd + b, the owner morph will never handle the shortcut because it was handled by it's child first.
> > - second.  It's hard to keep track and find every hardcoded shortcut :).  And furthermore,  this leads in the fact that I cannot easily analyse shortcuts collisions between keymapping and hardcoded shortcuts.
> >
> > So, how does Keymapping live with that by now?
> > 1) a keyEvent reaches a morph
> > 2) the morph delegates the handling in keymapping (bubbling until the world instance).
> > 3) if keymapping does not handle the shortcut, It is delegated to the old-hardcoded shortcuts (so the original behavior is still there yet)
> >
> > All this is just to understand what is happening and where the errors come from :P
> >
> > For example, after installing keymappings I cannot close windows anymore with cmd + w  or I cannot run tests from the browser using cmd + t.
> >
> > So far, I've found those two collisions in keymapping 1.9 and one more in keymapping+TWM:
> >
> > 1) Cmd+w was defined for TextEditor for delete backword.
> >
> > Esteban already complained about this, so I've changed it in 2.0 for Cmd + Backspace
> > This shortcut was taken from SimpleEditor, in #initializeCmdKeyShortcuts.  I don't know if it should be there or not.
> >
> >  2) Cmd+t from omnibrowser was colliding with some global shortcuts I defined in the initial versions of keymapping to play opening a test runner, a browser, a monticello browser.
> >
> > I've fixed it removing the global shortcuts by now (because I'm not conviced the key combinations are nice).
> >
> > 3) When loading TWM + Keymapping, I realized the cmd+w was not working again.  Wandering, I found that the TWM shortcuts were defined for a lot of morphs, in this way, causing a little of trouble:
> >
> >     {PasteUpMorph. SystemWindow. SmalltalkEditor. TextEditor. PluggableTextMorph} do: [:aClass|
> >         aBuilder
> >             to: aClass.
> >     ].
> >
> > But replacing it by
> >
> > aBuilder
> >             to: PasteUpMorph.
> >
> > should be working the same way :/.
> > Laurent, did you have any problems when not attaching the categories in this way?.
> >
> > Also: TWM by default has a lot of (cmd+w, ...) mappings colliding with the window cmd+w shortcut.  So the window shortcut or the TWM ones are to be sacrificed :P.
> >
> >
> > So i installed TWM without keybinding but now I cannot open the settings window because keymappings is not load.
> >
> > Any solution? (install TWM without keymappings or fixing keymappings)
> >
> > I've done some fixes and improvements to keymapping, and I've created a 2.0 version where:
> >
> > - the collisions below are fixed
> > - keymaps can be configured per morph instance too (not only per class, as the former version)
> > - some little improvements and code cleaning
> >
> > But those things I remarked of TWM should be reviewed :)
> >
> > Or you can Use twm without keymappings and I'll have no more feedback :(
> >
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > Thank you :)
> >
> > Guille
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Open the Settings Browser, all KeyMapping shortcuts under Keymappings and you can change them :)

Excellent. Thanks!

Laurent

thanks!

- KeyMapping 2.0

Gofer it
load. 

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Thanks guys

Laurent.

Thanks !

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

--
Mariano

--
Mariano

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck

- KeyMapping 2.0

Hi Laurent. I find cmd + r not nice because I loose the ability to do cmd + shift + l and cmd + shift + r  (tab to left and tab to right).
Now I was thinking, what about providing a setting that let you change just the first part of the shortcuts of TWM (r in this case), otherwise I would need to change all settings ;)
Now I am not sure if we should change this in TWM or try to replace cmd + shift + r with a simple TAB and cmd + shift + l with cmd + shift + tab. The problem wuth TAB so far is that it is used by OCompletion :(

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Gofer it
load. 

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Thanks guys

Laurent.

Thanks !

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

--
Mariano

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

- KeyMapping 2.0

Hi Laurent. I find cmd + r not nice because I loose the ability to do cmd + shift + l and cmd + shift + r  (tab to left and tab to right).

cmd + r should not conflict with cmd + shift + r , this should be handled by keymapping... Guillermo ?  

Now I was thinking, what about providing a setting that let you change just the first part of the shortcuts of TWM (r in this case), otherwise I would need to change all settings ;)

at least we can add a #prefix accessor in TWMKeymapping to change the default at once, and adapt TWMKeymapping>>#shortcuts consequently. 

Now I am not sure if we should change this in TWM or try to replace cmd + shift + r with a simple TAB and cmd + shift + l with cmd + shift + tab. The problem wuth TAB so far is that it is used by OCompletion :(

We can also change for Ctrl + r as prefix to be more Emacs-like but IIRC Ctrl shortcut is not well handled on OSX.

Laurent

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Gofer it
load. 

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Thanks guys

Laurent.

Thanks !

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

--
Mariano

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 4:05 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

- KeyMapping 2.0

cmd + r should not conflict with cmd + shift + r , this should be handled by keymapping... Guillermo ?  

Well it should not...  But the event polled from the image, in mac are the following:

If you press Cmd + a you get Cmd + a
If you press Cmd + Shift + a you get Cmd + A
If you press Ctrl + a you get Ctrl + a
If you press Ctrl + Shift + a you get Ctrl + Shift + a

So, I'm not getting right now the shift from the keyEvent :/.

And the main problem is that this behavior is different for each platform and sometimes It cannot be hacked to get it working...  The right thing to do I think is to fix the event handling at VM side... :/

at least we can add a #prefix accessor in TWMKeymapping to change the default at once, and adapt TWMKeymapping>>#shortcuts consequently. 

We can also change for Ctrl + r as prefix to be more Emacs-like but IIRC Ctrl shortcut is not well handled on OSX.

Laurent

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Gofer it
load. 

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Thanks guys

Laurent.

Thanks !

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

--
Mariano

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont

Well it should not...  But the event polled from the image, in mac are the following:

If you press Cmd + a you get Cmd + a
If you press Cmd + Shift + a you get Cmd + A          
If you press Ctrl + a you get Ctrl + a
If you press Ctrl + Shift + a you get Ctrl + Shift + a

So, I'm not getting right now the shift from the keyEvent :/.

And the main problem is that this behavior is different for each platform and sometimes It cannot be hacked to get it working...  The right thing to do I think is to fix the event handling at VM side... :/

Oh, Mariano is an expert now ;)

Laurent

Laurent

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Gofer it
load. 

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Thanks guys

Laurent.

Thanks !

Laurent

thanks!

Guille

--
Mariano

--
Mariano