Quantcast

Tab Styles

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Tab Styles

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

 

I finished my tabs using FileLibrary.  I’ve created a subclass of WASimpleNavigation that has its own style.

 

Not knowing about WAStandardStyles this was a real headache.  But I’m getting there.

 

Ok so here is the question, I’m also going to do a vertical tab, is this something worth sharing to the community?  If so how would you like me to contribute it?

 

Ron Teitelbaum

 

 


_______________________________________________
Seaside mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Tab Styles

Philippe Marschall
Well no one answered so ...
But there's always the movement "we need a public repository of cool
Seaside components to fight ASP.NET and JSF" so ...

Personally I'd find I cool if it was a SqueakSource project, with or
without vertical tabs. This has advantages for other people (can use
it if they want) and for you (the next time you need it, you know
where it is, it is automatically backed up, ...).

Philippe

2006/10/5, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:

>
>
>
>
> Hi All,
>
>
>
> I finished my tabs using FileLibrary.  I've created a subclass of
> WASimpleNavigation that has its own style.
>
>
>
> Not knowing about WAStandardStyles this was a real headache.  But I'm
> getting there.
>
>
>
> Ok so here is the question, I'm also going to do a vertical tab, is this
> something worth sharing to the community?  If so how would you like me to
> contribute it?
>
>
>
> Ron Teitelbaum
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Seaside mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
Seaside mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Tab Styles

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Philippe,

I agree with you, I think it would be very nice if there was some way to
have seaside skins available.  The problem I have is the way that some of
the components have been implemented.  They really don't lend themselves to
changing the look.  I'll have to give it more thought but the
SimpleNavigation component has class names with a hard coded CSS in the
style library.  To change the look I had to make a subclass.  What I would
like to see is a way to configure a style library for individual components
on each application, so that you can create your own skin. Then maybe even
be able to publish your skin for others to use.  It would be nice if this
could be done without having to subclass the components to change the class
names.

It is possible that I just don't understand the style libs.  Maybe it's
possible to do this some other way?

So after I give it some thought maybe I'll create a project SeasideSkins or
something.

I would think there would need to be some changes to the base components or
the style library mechanism to make it work.

Ron

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Philippe Marschall [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2006 5:54 AM
> To: [hidden email]; The Squeak Enterprise Aubergines Server - general
> discussion.
> Subject: Re: [Seaside] Tab Styles
>
> Well no one answered so ...
> But there's always the movement "we need a public repository of cool
> Seaside components to fight ASP.NET and JSF" so ...
>
> Personally I'd find I cool if it was a SqueakSource project, with or
> without vertical tabs. This has advantages for other people (can use
> it if they want) and for you (the next time you need it, you know
> where it is, it is automatically backed up, ...).
>
> Philippe
>
> 2006/10/5, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> >
> >
> > I finished my tabs using FileLibrary.  I've created a subclass of
> > WASimpleNavigation that has its own style.
> >
> >
> >
> > Not knowing about WAStandardStyles this was a real headache.  But I'm
> > getting there.
> >
> >
> >
> > Ok so here is the question, I'm also going to do a vertical tab, is this
> > something worth sharing to the community?  If so how would you like me
> to
> > contribute it?
> >
> >
> >
> > Ron Teitelbaum
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Seaside mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside
> >
> >
> >


_______________________________________________
Seaside mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Tab Styles

Philippe Marschall
2006/10/7, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Philippe,
>
> I agree with you, I think it would be very nice if there was some way to
> have seaside skins available.  The problem I have is the way that some of
> the components have been implemented.  They really don't lend themselves to
> changing the look.  I'll have to give it more thought but the
> SimpleNavigation component has class names with a hard coded CSS in the
> style library.  To change the look I had to make a subclass.  What I would
> like to see is a way to configure a style library for individual components
> on each application, so that you can create your own skin. Then maybe even
> be able to publish your skin for others to use.  It would be nice if this
> could be done without having to subclass the components to change the class
> names.

Well you can change their look without subclassing:
- Remove standard styles from the application
- replace it with something that does what you want, maybe wrap the
navigation with a div that has some meaningful classname

This is not the case for components with a #style methods or ones that
have the style hardcoded in a render method (!!!). For these the style
could be moved to standard styles.

This is in my opinion way simpler than configuring css classes with
seems a bit over-the-top for me. The standard seaside components are
simple and I like them that way. For professional applications you
will have to hire a screen designer anyway.

I have to say that I have some doubts about skins. Because at the end
of the day you want to skin components and not html elements and you
have no idea what these components look like.

It can work in a controlled environment like Mollio
(http://www.mollio.org/). This would also allow you to build
abstractions like menus, menu items, sidebars, boxes.

Philippe

> It is possible that I just don't understand the style libs.  Maybe it's
> possible to do this some other way?
>
> So after I give it some thought maybe I'll create a project SeasideSkins or
> something.
>
> I would think there would need to be some changes to the base components or
> the style library mechanism to make it work.
>
> Ron
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Philippe Marschall [mailto:[hidden email]]
> > Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2006 5:54 AM
> > To: [hidden email]; The Squeak Enterprise Aubergines Server - general
> > discussion.
> > Subject: Re: [Seaside] Tab Styles
> >
> > Well no one answered so ...
> > But there's always the movement "we need a public repository of cool
> > Seaside components to fight ASP.NET and JSF" so ...
> >
> > Personally I'd find I cool if it was a SqueakSource project, with or
> > without vertical tabs. This has advantages for other people (can use
> > it if they want) and for you (the next time you need it, you know
> > where it is, it is automatically backed up, ...).
> >
> > Philippe
> >
> > 2006/10/5, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I finished my tabs using FileLibrary.  I've created a subclass of
> > > WASimpleNavigation that has its own style.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Not knowing about WAStandardStyles this was a real headache.  But I'm
> > > getting there.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Ok so here is the question, I'm also going to do a vertical tab, is this
> > > something worth sharing to the community?  If so how would you like me
> > to
> > > contribute it?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Ron Teitelbaum
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Seaside mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside
> > >
> > >
> > >
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
Seaside mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside
Loading...