Tabs and back button in browser?

Janko Mivšek
Hi Pharoers,

Are you thinking about introducing tabs and back/forward button, like in
web browsers?

Just because of web we are now all accustomized and used of tabbed
browsing and navigation with a back and forward buttons. This habit now
 demands all other tools to follow. Tabs are now everywhere, also in
Smalltalk. Look at Visualworks, also Dolphin.

Introducing tabs soon in Pharo will therefore greatly improve user
experience, so if someone would spend some time on it, his contribution
will be very valuable!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Tabs and back button in browser?

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 24, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hi Pharoers,
>
> Are you thinking about introducing tabs and back/forward button, like in
> web browsers?

Yes!
Have a look at OB2

        https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27023/PBE-1.0.zip

There is a lot of good ideas in David's browser.
We need to revisit that work at some point.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Tabs and back button in browser?

I would love but time/money usual problem. Not lack of vision or will.

Stef

On Jan 24, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hi Pharoers,
>
> Are you thinking about introducing tabs and back/forward button, like in
> web browsers?
>
> Just because of web we are now all accustomized and used of tabbed
> browsing and navigation with a back and forward buttons. This habit now
> demands all other tools to follow. Tabs are now everywhere, also in
> Smalltalk. Look at Visualworks, also Dolphin.
>
> Introducing tabs soon in Pharo will therefore greatly improve user
> experience, so if someone would spend some time on it, his contribution
> will be very valuable!
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Tabs and back button in browser?

Tudor Girba
Hi Janko,

Good observation. I too believe that to bring Pharo further we have to rethink the IDE experience altogether. This requires more than just patch the existing IDEs with a couple of widgets.

I am definitely interested in working on this. The work on Glamour goes towards providing an infrastructure for such new kinds of tools. For example, tabs are now nicely supported in several forms. Navigation is indeed not yet supported, but it is on the roadmap.

The major problem currently is posed by the Morphic widgets. Gary and Alain are doing a great job, but it would be cool if we would get a more concerted effort in this area. If anyone is interested in spending energy on this, please contact me.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."