Task List

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I think the task list would be much more useful and easy to use if we follow Mac OS X's interaction semantics.

Currently, in Pharo's non-keepOpen mode, the morph disappears every time you unpress the arrow key, so you're limited to a brief tease as the morph flashes for an instant, or trying to play roulette and unpress the arrow at just the right time as the tasks scroll by at lightning speed.

In the keepOpen mode, the morph stays in place until you make your choice, which is nice, but making the choice requires an extra key press (enter).

On the Mac, the shortcut opens the UI, which stays open as you hold the modifier key and repeatedly press the shortcut character key. When the modifier key is unpressed, the choice is accepted.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Task List

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
In trying to fix this, I came across "Issue 2695: Tasklist on Mac" [1]. I also found something weird that may be relevant - when a modifier key is pressed (cmd, option, ctrl), InputEventSensor>>handleEvent: receives mouse events (the buffer's first element is 1), not keyboard events (2 as the first element).

[1] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2695
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Task List

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
when a modifier key is pressed (cmd, option, ctrl), InputEventSensor>>handleEvent: receives mouse events
In fact, as you can see below, letting up on the Cmd key is indistinguishable from moving the mouse
#(1 3182055 1073 411 0 0 0 1) "mouse move event buffer"
#(1 3183695 1073 411 0 8 0 1) "Cmd pressed event buffer"
#(1 3183768 1073 411 0 0 0 1) "Cmd unpressed event buffer"

Sean

b.t.w. I'm using the Cog Carbon Jit vm from Jenkins with Pharo 1.3 rc
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Task List

Gary Chambers-4
Naturally it works on Windows
see http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6005 for other comments.

If the tasklist disappears on Mac then at some point then Sensor
commandKeyPressed is returning false.
I encourage your efforts that must, eventually come down to homogenising the
VM keyboard handling.
(see recent issues of Ctrl+ keys etc.)

Regards, Gary