TaskIt

Santiago Bragagnolo
Hi everybody!
   We are starting to discuss with norbert about letting taskit to leave my incubator (my github account to go elsewhere). I have being thinking about it since long time, since i would like it to allow taskit to evolve into more than just my needs and wishes.

   The sidequestion i am bringing today it may seem (or even be) almost scholastic at this point, but i think it should have some space.
   The question is if to move it to pharo-contributions, or if to create a new pharo-processing.

   During the ESUG i came up with the idea/feeling/etc that it would be nice to have a group of people interested into processing (as hobby, duty, etc) for being able to push further this project and what-ever-other related project.
  During the conference i addressed norbert, tomohiro, mariano, matteo, guille, pablo, noury, (people for whom processing directly or indirectly is a primary concern) and i think there is even more people interested in this kind of general problematic, for what i sensed specially during my esug presentation. I think that to build a kind of team or group for discussing and working on this subject is a step in a direction that search to solve many modern daily problems that pushes us out of larger models of business and interaction (cloud and derivatives). Having this points in mind i think that the choice of this new github project could be a good point to start a to work on this goal (as a first place of gathering).

     Still, i would like to hear other's opinion, in order to be able to deal with this maybe before new year :).

   Thanks for your time and reading :)

   Santiago

Re: [Pharo-users] TaskIt

NorbertHartl
Hi,

> Am 16.12.2019 um 11:41 schrieb Santiago Bragagnolo <[hidden email]>:
>

> Hi everybody!
>    We are starting to discuss with norbert about letting taskit to leave my incubator (my github account to go elsewhere). I have being thinking about it since long time, since i would like it to allow taskit to evolve into more than just my needs and wishes.
>
>    The sidequestion i am bringing today it may seem (or even be) almost scholastic at this point, but i think it should have some space.
>    The question is if to move it to pharo-contributions, or if to create a new pharo-processing.

I was asking this myself for a long time. Then I just started to move things to pharo-contributions because I could not come up with a better idea. I‘m not convinced that having more organizations on github will help.

>    During the ESUG i came up with the idea/feeling/etc that it would be nice to have a group of people interested into processing (as hobby, duty, etc) for being able to push further this project and what-ever-other related project.
>   During the conference i addressed norbert, tomohiro, mariano, matteo, guille, pablo, noury, (people for whom processing directly or indirectly is a primary concern) and i think there is even more people interested in this kind of general problematic, for what i sensed specially during my esug presentation. I think that to build a kind of team or group for discussing and working on this subject is a step in a direction that search to solve many modern daily problems that pushes us out of larger models of business and interaction (cloud and derivatives). Having this points in mind i think that the choice of this new github project could be a good point to start a to work on this goal (as a first place of gathering).

I personally wouldn‘t do it from the start. Usually this is kind of a premature optimization to put groups and permissions and all of that on the table.
If it comes to groups it comes to permissions and the management of them. You might try to solve a problem that might not even have. But you put the burden of managing memberships and permissions and that prevents collaboration to some extent

So my golden rule to this is that if you don‘t have real good reason to add something like this organization, just don‘t. Wait until there is a problem. At that point you know what problem you have and you might have an appropriate idea how to solve it. This is very hard to do a priori.

But we need indeed a general approach how to handle that. Every time someone asks me to be added to pharo-contributions I‘m thinking about if the setup is ok.

Norbert

>      Still, i would like to hear other's opinion, in order to be able to deal with this maybe before new year :).
>
>    Thanks for your time and reading :)
>
>    Santiago

Re: [Pharo-users] TaskIt

Torsten Bergmann
Santiago wrote:
>What if we have links to all the groups in Pharo-project (pharo-misc,
>pharo-processing, pharo-robotics, pharo-web) ? I can do the firsts steps if
>we agree in here.

Hi Santiago,

yes - we should link the groups from the main "pharo-project" so they are easier to find. Here are the ones I know:

1. https://github.com/pharo-project
2. https://github.com/pharo-contributions (general community managed contributions)
3. https://github.com/pharo-rdbms (relational database support)
4. https://github.com/pharo-nosql (NoSQL database support)
5. https://github.com/pharo-sql (points to https://github.com/pharo-rdbms)
6. https://github.com/pharo-robotics (Robotics related)
7. https://github.com/pharo-brand (Brand Assets to do some marketing)

8. https://github.com/pharo-db (looks like offical DB stuff, but created by Todd Blanchard to assemble some database projects)

Not existing (yet), dont know why you need/mentioned them

https://github.com/pharo-misc
https://github.com/pharo-processing
https://github.com/pharo-we

For TaskIt maybe you start in "pharo-contributions" and if Pharo has more projects in similar directions an own separate group
could be created.

an additional "Pharo-iot" and "Workflow-engine" mailinglist.

Thanks
T.

Re: [Pharo-users] TaskIt

EstebanLM

> On 17 Dec 2019, at 15:38, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Santiago wrote:
>> What if we have links to all the groups in Pharo-project (pharo-misc,
>> pharo-processing, pharo-robotics, pharo-web) ? I can do the firsts steps if
>> we agree in here.
>
> Hi Santiago,
>
> yes - we should link the groups from the main "pharo-project" so they are easier to find. Here are the ones I know:
>
> 1. https://github.com/pharo-project
> 2. https://github.com/pharo-contributions (general community managed contributions)
> 3. https://github.com/pharo-rdbms (relational database support)
> 4. https://github.com/pharo-nosql (NoSQL database support)
> 5. https://github.com/pharo-sql (points to https://github.com/pharo-rdbms)
> 6. https://github.com/pharo-robotics (Robotics related)
> 7. https://github.com/pharo-brand (Brand Assets to do some marketing)
>

> 8. https://github.com/pharo-db (looks like offical DB stuff, but created by Todd Blanchard to assemble some database projects)
>

> Not existing (yet), dont know why you need/mentioned them
>
> https://github.com/pharo-misc
> https://github.com/pharo-processing
> https://github.com/pharo-we
>
> For TaskIt maybe you start in "pharo-contributions" and if Pharo has more projects in similar directions an own separate group
> could be created.

+1

> an additional "Pharo-iot" and "Workflow-engine" mailinglist.
>
> Thanks
> T.

Re: [Pharo-users] TaskIt

Ben Coman

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 at 18:41, Santiago Bragagnolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everybody!
   We are starting to discuss with norbert about letting taskit to leave my incubator (my github account to go elsewhere). I have being thinking about it since long time, since i would like it to allow taskit to evolve into more than just my needs and wishes.

   The sidequestion i am bringing today it may seem (or even be) almost scholastic at this point, but i think it should have some space.
   The question is if to move it to pharo-contributions, or if to create a new pharo-processing.

I know a bit of what TaskIt is, but not what "processing" is in-general.  Can you clue me in?

cheers -ben