Taskbar possibility

KenDickey
Greetings,

I have been playing with some ideas for the Taskbar and thought you'all might tell me if you think it is worthwhile to continue.

Basically, fileIn the Morphic-Views package, file in the ChangeSet, open a Workspace and
  Taskbar reset.

Open and iconize/collapse some windows.  Try out the updated Taskbar and decide if you like or hate it.

Anyway, let me know what you think about it.

Thanks much,
-KenD
PS: This _is_ prototype code and needs simplification and cleanup -- expect rough edges.

1863-CuisCore-KenD-2013Nov06-15h07m-KenD.13.cs.st (10K) Download Attachment
Morphic-Views.pck.st (3K) Download Attachment
-KenD

Re: Taskbar possibility

Juan Vuletich-4
Hey Ken! I very mucho like this! Thank you.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 11/7/2013 8:58 PM, Ken Dickey wrote:
Greetings,

I have been playing with some ideas for the Taskbar and thought you'all might tell me if you think it is worthwhile to continue.

Basically, fileIn the Morphic-Views package, file in the ChangeSet, open a Workspace and
  Taskbar reset.

Open and iconize/collapse some windows.  Try out the updated Taskbar and decide if you like or hate it.

Anyway, let me know what you think about it.

Thanks much,
-KenD
PS: This _is_ prototype code and needs simplification and cleanup -- expect rough edges.

Re: Taskbar possibility

garduino
woooow is fantastic!! I like it a lot.

Thanks Ken!

2013/11/7 Ken Dickey <[hidden email]>
Greetings,

I have been playing with some ideas for the Taskbar and thought you'all might tell me if you think it is worthwhile to continue.

Basically, fileIn the Morphic-Views package, file in the ChangeSet, open a Workspace and
  Taskbar reset.

Open and iconize/collapse some windows.  Try out the updated Taskbar and decide if you like or hate it.

Anyway, let me know what you think about it.

Thanks much,
-KenD
PS: This _is_ prototype code and needs simplification and cleanup -- expect rough edges.

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Taskbar possibility

garduino
Playing a bit more with the Taskbar I saw that it show correctly in a high resolution of the screen (1440 x 900).

But I'm an older man and need a bit more big fonts, when I put the resolution in, for example, 1280x800 or 1152x720, the watch get overlapped by the icons, as is shown in the attached images.

I need to adjust something in the code?

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino

Captura de pantalla 2013-11-09 a la(s) 10.56.51.png (48K) Download Attachment
Captura de pantalla 2013-11-09 a la(s) 10.58.52.png (34K) Download Attachment
Captura de pantalla 2013-11-09 a la(s) 11.01.20.png (28K) Download Attachment

Re: Taskbar possibility

KenDickey
On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 12:11:40 -0200
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Playing a bit more with the Taskbar I saw that it show correctly in a high
> resolution of the screen (1440 x 900).
>
> But I'm an older man and need a bit more big fonts, when I put the
> resolution in, for example, 1280x800 or 1152x720, the watch get overlapped
> by the icons, as is shown in the attached images.
>
> I need to adjust something in the code?

The LayoutSpec's are set up in Taskbar>>initialize .  The dashBoard contains the clock.  The clock's layoutSpec' #fixedWidth and #fixedHeight iVars need to be set for the new extent when the clock size changes.

Please forgive the direct numbers.  The code needs to be parameterized (eg to add Taskbar>>defaultHeght) simplified a bit, and cleaned up.

I wanted feedback on the prototype before spending more time in case people did not like it.

This is community code.  Would you prefer to do the cleanup?  Casey?

If not, I'll go ahead and start cleaning up!
-KenD

-KenD

Re: Taskbar possibility

KenDickey
On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 12:11:40 -0200
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Playing a bit more with the Taskbar I saw that it show correctly in a high
> resolution of the screen (1440 x 900).
>
> But I'm an older man and need a bit more big fonts, when I put the
> resolution in, for example, 1280x800 or 1152x720, the watch get overlapped
> by the icons, as is shown in the attached images.
>
> I need to adjust something in the code?

Germán,  I think the attached should work.  If so..

Juan, a candidate for integration.

-KenD

StringMorph-fitContents.st (694 bytes) Download Attachment
-KenD

Re: Taskbar possibility

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Germán,

Have you tried bigFonts and hugeFonts in the Preferences... / Font Sizes... menu? It will look much better than using your display at the wrong resolution...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 11/9/2013 11:11 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:
[...]

Casey Ransberger-2
Hi guys. Sorry to be late to the thread. There were some hiccups with the move and I have only been online sporadically.

I thought I should write to say that my laptop is still in a box halfway across town, so I won't be able to check this stuff out right away.

From German's screenshots, though, I think what Ken's come up with looks pretty cool. Keep at it! And I do hope to regroup with the community when I've got my affairs in order again.

Casey

> On Nov 9, 2013, at 8:28 AM, Ken Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 12:11:40 -0200
> Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Playing a bit more with the Taskbar I saw that it show correctly in a high
>> resolution of the screen (1440 x 900).
>>
>> But I'm an older man and need a bit more big fonts, when I put the
>> resolution in, for example, 1280x800 or 1152x720, the watch get overlapped
>> by the icons, as is shown in the attached images.
>>
>> I need to adjust something in the code?
>
> The LayoutSpec's are set up in Taskbar>>initialize .  The dashBoard contains the clock.  The clock's layoutSpec' #fixedWidth and #fixedHeight iVars need to be set for the new extent when the clock size changes.
>
> Please forgive the direct numbers.  The code needs to be parameterized (eg to add Taskbar>>defaultHeght) simplified a bit, and cleaned up.
>
> I wanted feedback on the prototype before spending more time in case people did not like it.
>
> This is community code.  Would you prefer to do the cleanup?  Casey?
>
> If not, I'll go ahead and start cleaning up!
> -KenD

Re: Taskbar possibility

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Ken for the Taskbar. I like it in particular with

Taskbar>>defaultHeight
        ^Preferences windowTitleFont height * 2

changed to
Taskbar>>defaultHeight
        ^Preferences windowTitleFont height * 4

or even

Taskbar>>defaultHeight
        ^Preferences windowTitleFont height * 6

--Hannes

On 11/12/13, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys. Sorry to be late to the thread. There were some hiccups with the
> move and I have only been online sporadically.
>
> I thought I should write to say that my laptop is still in a box halfway
> across town, so I won't be able to check this stuff out right away.
>
> From German's screenshots, though, I think what Ken's come up with looks
> pretty cool. Keep at it! And I do hope to regroup with the community when
> I've got my affairs in order again.
>
> Casey
>
>> On Nov 9, 2013, at 8:28 AM, Ken Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 12:11:40 -0200
>> Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Playing a bit more with the Taskbar I saw that it show correctly in a
>>> high
>>> resolution of the screen (1440 x 900).
>>>
>>> But I'm an older man and need a bit more big fonts, when I put the
>>> resolution in, for example, 1280x800 or 1152x720, the watch get
>>> overlapped
>>> by the icons, as is shown in the attached images.
>>>
>>> I need to adjust something in the code?
>>
>> The LayoutSpec's are set up in Taskbar>>initialize .  The dashBoard
>> contains the clock.  The clock's layoutSpec' #fixedWidth and #fixedHeight
>> iVars need to be set for the new extent when the clock size changes.
>>
>> Please forgive the direct numbers.  The code needs to be parameterized (eg
>> to add Taskbar>>defaultHeght) simplified a bit, and cleaned up.
>>
>> I wanted feedback on the prototype before spending more time in case
>> people did not like it.
>>
>> This is community code.  Would you prefer to do the cleanup?  Casey?
>>
>> If not, I'll go ahead and start cleaning up!
>> -KenD

Re: Taskbar possibility

KenDickey
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 11:14:42 +0000
"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Ken for the Taskbar. I like it in particular with
>
> Taskbar>>defaultHeight
> ^Preferences windowTitleFont height * 2
>
> changed to
> Taskbar>>defaultHeight
> ^Preferences windowTitleFont height * 4
>
> or even
>
> Taskbar>>defaultHeight
> ^Preferences windowTitleFont height * 6

Hannes

I added a selection in the Taskbar morph's menu to resize the task bar.  You need to file in the attached change set.

Just left-click on the taskbar to select the morph, use the menu to "Scale x 2" or whatever.

If people like this, we can ask Juan to add it to his feature request queue.

We may as well make it easy!  8^)

-KenD

Taskbar.st (8K) Download Attachment
-KenD