TeaTime replication ported to Pharo

Rafael Luque
Hi all,

I wonder if there is any project for supporting the replication of shared objects between Pharo images.

My interest is to explore the replication approach for distributed, peer-to-peer applications. However, instead of the mainstream replication of data, I'd like to play with the "behavior replication" proposed by the TeaTime architecture from the old Croquet project.

The most modern reference I've found is this paper about Archipelago by Eric Seckler and Robert Hirschfeld:

Thank you,
Rafael Luque.

Re: TeaTime replication ported to Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse

On 4 Nov 2020, at 17:18, Rafael Luque <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I wonder if there is any project for supporting the replication of shared objects between Pharo images.

Not that I know but it would be really interesting.
Another topic is also synchronizing data structure (that supports working off on).

My interest is to explore the replication approach for distributed, peer-to-peer applications. However, instead of the mainstream replication of data, I'd like to play with the "behavior replication" proposed by the TeaTime architecture from the old Croquet project.

The most modern reference I've found is this paper about Archipelago by Eric Seckler and Robert Hirschfeld:

may be the code is available
I have the code of SolarCroquet if you want.
and an older version from Squeak3.4 and teaSqueak1.9.exe
So let me know if you want to code.
After you can contact the authors of the paper.

Thank you,
Rafael Luque.

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: TeaTime replication ported to Pharo

nikloai

wrote "I had a success on partly restoring of Open Croquet onto Squeak 5.2 (https://blog.krestianstvo.org/en/open-croquet-for-squeak-6/). Source code is also available on Git, by using Squot https://github.com/NikolaySuslov/croquet-squeak.
So, one can run some of the same demos, that historical screenshots could be found at the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquet_Project.
As for current Squeak 5.3 release, I'm steel in the process of testing Open Croquet on it.

Croquet has already a long history and I thinking, that it is quit important to keep information for all development stages, it is passed through also. Every Croquet version based on Squeak VM/Image pair has it's own unique features worth of exploration.

Also, there are lot of videos on David A. Smith's YouTube channel with Croquet demos from the "future" (https://croquet.studio/), now and the past, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZPW8l85eI\

[...]

France

Re: TeaTime replication ported to Pharo

jvalteren@objectguild.com
Hi Rafael,

I share your interest! Over the last few months, I've been trying to gather more in-depth information on TeaTime and how it might be used in a different context, more geared towards distributed business applications.

Quite a bit of Croquet material can still be found, although most of the time it requires some cleverness with the Wayback Machine. However, I found it quite hard to get my hands on good TeaTime documentation and didn't dare to dive into the Squeak Croquet code yet.

Thank you for sharing the Archipelago paper, very interesting!

I came across this podcast recently. Haven't listened to it yet, but you might find it interesting: http://jarober.com/blog/blogView?entry=3487141940
Working MP3 link here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/jarober/im36.mp3

Send me a PM if you're interested to have a chat about this sometime. I've been meaning to ask you about Blueplane.xyz for a while, but haven't come around to it. I'd love to hear more about your goals and share some ideas.

Kind regards,

Jonathan van Alteren
Founding Member | Object Guild B.V.
Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations

On 4 Nov 2020, 17:19 +0100, Rafael Luque <[hidden email]>, wrote:
Hi all,

I wonder if there is any project for supporting the replication of shared objects between Pharo images.

My interest is to explore the replication approach for distributed, peer-to-peer applications. However, instead of the mainstream replication of data, I'd like to play with the "behavior replication" proposed by the TeaTime architecture from the old Croquet project.

The most modern reference I've found is this paper about Archipelago by Eric Seckler and Robert Hirschfeld:

Thank you,
Rafael Luque.

Re: TeaTime replication ported to Pharo

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi both Jonathan and Rafael,

On 4/11/20 2:30 p. m., Jonathan van Alteren wrote:

> Send me a PM if you're interested to have a chat about this sometime.
> I've been meaning to ask you about Blueplane.xyz for a while, but
> haven't come around to it. I'd love to hear more about your goals and
> share some ideas.

Let me know if you can also keep me in the loop regarding blueplane.xyz
as is interesting to me also and I would like to see how/if it can
dialogue with local initiatives here related with critical code+data
literacy.

Cheers,

Offray

Re: TeaTime replication ported to Pharo

Rafael Luque
Thank you all for these references.

I'm going to study the TeaTime implementation from the Open Croquet version "restored" for Squeak by Nikolay Suslov and we'll share our experiments.

Regarding BluePlane.xyz we are moving slowly. For the moment we have been playing with ideas like Scenario-Based Programming (by David Harel). We implemented a very rough library for "behavioral programming" in Pharo with some typical examples. We are now refactoring it to use actors instead of processes. We hope to release it soon

Cheers,

Rafael Luque.

Offray

Re: TeaTime replication ported to Pharo

jvalteren@objectguild.com
Hi Rafael,

Thanks for the short description of what you're doing at BluePlane.xyz, interesting! I hadn't heard of Scenario-Based Programming before.

If I come across anything relevant, I'll be sure to share it with you (and Offray :-)).

Good luck!

Offray

Re: TeaTime replication ported to Pharo

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

:-),

Thanks Jonathan. I hope to share some stuff and get more active with mailing as I end some semester stuff over here.

Cheers,

Offray