Tech Meeting notes

stepharo
Hi guys

I tried to take some notes of the discussion and report of effort made
by esteban

VM works
========
     - migrating our source to opensmalltalk vm 80% of our source
         - keybindings enhancement
         - shift key pressed
         - library symbols
     - change our cmake maker -> plain makefiles
     - port our process (running all the tests)
     - new VMs will get out
     - ARM VM is under dev and started to run.
     - migration planned for end of week of next weeks

     - right now able to build
         32 and 64 on mac and linux.
         plan with mid october.

     - for windows
     - We will produce assert vm to help people to find problems.

     - Sierra support is coming.
         - openssl
         It will come after the end of the merge finished.

     - FFI bug about the Athens canvas.

     - FT bug is getting on the radar and esteban suspects that the bug
     is in the C plugin. We plan to throw away the FT plugin.
     If people want to help please have a look at thibaultRaffaillac
     bindings.

     - Pharo is using different VM functionalities so sometimes we are going
     on unfrequented paths.

     - Threaded FFI will come after 64, ARM, two bugs
     Probably beginning of the year.

Iceberg
========
     here is the log that nicolas sent to our internal mailing-list

### Last week:
- Improved travis support, working on having all green tests in travis,
still 4 to go.
- Extending libgit support.
- Support for synchronizing an Iceberg repository with code that was
loaded with gitfiletree (was not working, as reported by Norbert).
- Fixed some bugs (see
https://github.com/npasserini/iceberg/milestone/7?closed=1)

### This week (starting 2016-09-26):

- Finish having all tests running on travis.
- Better management of ssh keys (which in turn is required for travis
working correctly).
- Also I would like to add some little GUI details that bother me in
daily work (such as remembering common options, highlighting outdated
repositories, or opening repositories from spotter).

I think that this might take the whole week. After that I plan to add
basic support synchronizing against code that was loaded from any
repository. With that finished, we could release v0.3

After that, the plan for v0.4 is to make libgit our default backend, and
make gitfiletree dependencies optional.
- I am pretty close to have all tests running for libgit again, then we
should try to use libgit as backend for the UI. But in that process also
improve test coverage so that we minimize dependence on manual
verification of the UI.
- Remodularice in order to separate gitfiletree dependencies, so we will
be able to use Iceberg without loading ossubprocess (or gitfiletree).
- That will require also to write an independent cypress reader/writer,
because the current one inherits from gitfiletree.

If we have all this, I think that we could have a version that could be
included in the base image, probably in the second half of october.

Re: Tech Meeting notes

kilon.alios
And for those that were not able to attend the voice meeting here you can find the recording so you can listen to it at your convenience

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1404140/Pharo%20Voice%20Meetings/PharoVR1.ogg

Have fun :)