TechTalk today, 17h UTC "Free talk Pharo 7"

TechTalk today, 17h UTC "Free talk Pharo 7"

EstebanLM
Hi,

Today we have the montly TechTalk at 17hs UTC.
So far, I think this is something I would like to talk:

- new development process status
- tonel 1.0/iceberg 0.6 status

but… subject is “free talk” so prepare your questions/opinions :)

Esteban

Re: TechTalk today, 17h UTC "Free talk Pharo 7"

philippe.back@highoctane.be
Having a kind of demo on how to get started in contributing to 7.0 from scratch would be nice.

Another thing that interests me is theme support with palettes etc.

Phil

On Sep 19, 2017 11:26, "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Today we have the montly TechTalk at 17hs UTC.
So far, I think this is something I would like to talk:

- new development process status
- tonel 1.0/iceberg 0.6 status

but… subject is “free talk” so prepare your questions/opinions :)

Esteban

Re: TechTalk today, 17h UTC "Free talk Pharo 7"

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Phil,

maybe also my https://github.com/astares/pharo-contributor
can help you here.

Clone it locally and run download.bat (Windows) or download.sh (other) and wait until all is finished.

This will download and run a help topic file to explain more details on the contribution process.
First time you need to follow what is written there as an own fork of https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/
needs to be on your account (currently I do not see a https://github.com/philippeback/pharo on your account)

Also includes a simple tool to automagically download your git clone of "pharo" repo and sets it all up.
Requires git accessible from command line.

My easiest flow is to:
 1. clone this "pharo-contributor" git repo
 2. run the download script (which retrieves the latest Pharo 7 and vm)
 3. when the download ends and the help book is displayed I go to the last page of the help topics
     and click on "CPTCloneTool run" (or run this in a playground)
     You have to use your github name ("philippeback") when Pharo system asks. This will clone
     your fork of "pharo" repository and sync it with latest #development branch, also connect it with Iceberg.

When finished Iceberg should be opened and the "pharo" repo displayed in regular black color
which means the local clone and Iceberg are in synch.

Now you can do your code changes to fix a bug or make a contribution. Then select the Iceberg
menu to create a branch from an fogbugz issue number. After you commited + pushed you can
do PR on Github.

Not perfect yet - but works for me.

Thanks
T.

Esteban

On 19 Sep 2017, at 12:05, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Having a kind of demo on how to get started in contributing to 7.0 from scratch would be nice.

yes, why not :)

Another thing that interests me is theme support with palettes etc.

we can discuss it (I’m also interested), but so far there is nothing planned… more than my desire of revamp everything ;)

Esteban

Phil

On Sep 19, 2017 11:26, "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Today we have the montly TechTalk at 17hs UTC.
So far, I think this is something I would like to talk:

- new development process status
- tonel 1.0/iceberg 0.6 status

but… subject is “free talk” so prepare your questions/opinions :)

Esteban

Re: TechTalk today, 17h UTC "Free talk Pharo 7"

Marcus Denker-4
We have again a time zone problem… after last time where the tech talk ended up being 2 hours
earlier than announced (“because of course that time was local time, wasn’t it?”,
I changed the time on https://association.pharo.org/event-2642662 to be local Paris time (as that was what everyone expected).

Now of course it seems we are the other direction wrong: 17 UTC is in two hours, so

is again wrong.

I have sadly no solution for this problem.

Marcus

Hi Phil,

Esteban

Esteban

Re: TechTalk today, 17h UTC "Free talk Pharo 7"

EstebanLM
Ok, link is here:

and we are talking at discord.

Esteban