Telnet client

Aidan Gauland-2
Hi,

I want to create a MUD <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD> client (a
client for games played over Telnet) with Pharo, but I'm stuck on how
best to use Pharo as a Telnet client.  I've heard of the cURL plugin,
but I'm not sure if that can be (easily) used for anything other than
file transfers.  Even if I built and installed it, I'm not confident
I'd be able to tell for certain whether I can use it in the way I
want.  I also found this
<http://map.squeak.org/package/14bcecc6-dbb8-4866-bb0c-25278ca882ba>,
but that's about eight years old and its homepage link is dead, so it
doesn't look too promising.  I found TelnetProtocolClient in the Pharo
image, but that does not seem to be at all what I need.

Can someone with experience with telnetting from within Pharo/Squeak
point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Aidan

Re: Telnet client

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Finding old ( and sometimes new ;-) ) Squeak code is a bit of an art.

Also, a google search on "squeak smalltalk telnet" produced the following additional leads:
* Download some old images; "December 2004... Squeak has built in a very basic telnet client" http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1523
* look at the Curl plugin; "adds an new repository type that uses the Curl Plugin... supports TELNET http://www.squeaksource.com/monticellossl"

HTH,
Sean