Territorial loading problems & alternative ways of loading data for making a choropleth map

Territorial loading problems & alternative ways of loading data for making a choropleth map

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi,

I would like a choropleth map of Colombian departments [1]. The first
approach would be to use Territorial, but loading it is not working on
Pharo 6.1 (used on Manjaro Linux): It doesn't appears in the Catalog,
Gopher load gives me: "XMLFileException: File does does not exist:
/home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/fao/fao_country_names.xml"
and loading Monticello bleeding edge gives me "FileDoesNotExist: File @
/home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/opengeocode/wc-ASCII.csv".
There is another way to make such choropleth map?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departments_of_Colombia

Thanks,

Offray

Re: Territorial loading problems & alternative ways of loading data for making a choropleth map

hernanmd
I am revieweing this right now.

Lot of work in the bioinformatics department!

Hernán

<[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I would like a choropleth map of Colombian departments [1]. The first
> approach would be to use Territorial, but loading it is not working on
> Pharo 6.1 (used on Manjaro Linux): It doesn't appears in the Catalog,
> Gopher load gives me: "XMLFileException: File does does not exist:
> /home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/fao/fao_country_names.xml"
> and loading Monticello bleeding edge gives me "FileDoesNotExist: File @
> /home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/opengeocode/wc-ASCII.csv".
> There is another way to make such choropleth map?
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departments_of_Colombia
>
> Thanks,
>
> Offray

Re: Territorial loading problems & alternative ways of loading data for making a choropleth map

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Answering myself: I was able to fix this problem by downloading the
"territorial_files" zip folder from the source repo and unzipping it to
the image folder. After that Metacello bleeding edge (not Monticello, my
mistake) installation worked properly. So, it seems that proper
downloading and unzipping of supporting files is not working. I have
found this also for the GADM files as reported in [1].

By the way, I have created a Grafoscopio notebook to take some
interactive notes on my learning of Territorial [2][3]. My first
impressions are that this is a pretty potent package, but still needs a
more fluid installation and the supporting files are huge, and I wonder
if there is any way to query/download the data on demand.

[1] https://github.com/hernanmd/Territorial/issues/2.
[2]
http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/finfo?name=Docs/En/Books/Territorial/territorial.ston
[3]
http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/Docs/En/Books/Territorial/territorial.ston

Thanks and keep the good work,

Offray

On 23/10/17 20:59, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like a choropleth map of Colombian departments [1]. The first
> approach would be to use Territorial, but loading it is not working on
> Pharo 6.1 (used on Manjaro Linux): It doesn't appears in the Catalog,
> Gopher load gives me: "XMLFileException: File does does not exist:
> /home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/fao/fao_country_names.xml"
> and loading Monticello bleeding edge gives me "FileDoesNotExist: File @
> /home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/opengeocode/wc-ASCII.csv".
> There is another way to make such choropleth map?
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departments_of_Colombia
>
> Thanks,
>
> Offray

Re: Territorial loading problems & alternative ways of loading data for making a choropleth map

hernanmd
Hola Offray,

I tried loading in Windows 8.1 and it loads fine using:

Metacello new
    smalltalkhubUser: 'hernan' project: 'Territorial';
    configuration: 'Territorial';
    version: #bleedingEdge;
    load.

Then load TerritorialData-AMCharts-HernanMoralesDurand.2 from the repository.

I published some "fixes" related to Spec and Roassal. (I have to
review them because I'm porting other packages to Pharo 6.1, but it
should work for displaying maps).

The following expression displays a window with Colombia departments:

TerritorialAMChartsMapsProvider viewHighResCountry: 'Colombia'

For a choropleth with a heatmap or centroids have a look at how I did
it in PhyloclassTalk in SmalltalkHub, again I should update it to work
in Pharo 6.1.

Cheers,

Hernán

Colombia.png (149K) Download Attachment

<[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> Answering myself: I was able to fix this problem by downloading the
> "territorial_files" zip folder from the source repo and unzipping it to
> the image folder. After that Metacello bleeding edge (not Monticello, my
> mistake) installation worked properly. So, it seems that proper
> downloading and unzipping of supporting files is not working. I have
> found this also for the GADM files as reported in [1].

Tomorrow I will check in Linux.

> By the way, I have created a Grafoscopio notebook to take some
> interactive notes on my learning of Territorial [2][3]. My first
> impressions are that this is a pretty potent package, but still needs a
> more fluid installation and the supporting files are huge, and I wonder
> if there is any way to query/download the data on demand.

Thank you for the feedback Offray.

This is an issue I should profile because some data sets are huge, and
then think about how to provide maybe a customized installation or
download spcific resource on demand.

Cheers,

Hernán

> [1] https://github.com/hernanmd/Territorial/issues/2.
> [2]
> http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/finfo?name=Docs/En/Books/Territorial/territorial.ston
> [3]
> http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/Docs/En/Books/Territorial/territorial.ston
>
> Thanks and keep the good work,
>
> Offray
>
> On 23/10/17 20:59, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like a choropleth map of Colombian departments [1]. The first
>> approach would be to use Territorial, but loading it is not working on
>> Pharo 6.1 (used on Manjaro Linux): It doesn't appears in the Catalog,
>> Gopher load gives me: "XMLFileException: File does does not exist:
>> /home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/fao/fao_country_names.xml"
>> and loading Monticello bleeding edge gives me "FileDoesNotExist: File @
>> /home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/opengeocode/wc-ASCII.csv".
>> There is another way to make such choropleth map?
>>
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departments_of_Colombia
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Offray

Re: Territorial loading problems & alternative ways of loading data for making a choropleth map

hernanmd

> Hola Offray,
>
> I tried loading in Windows 8.1 and it loads fine using:
>
> Metacello new
>     smalltalkhubUser: 'hernan' project: 'Territorial';
>     configuration: 'Territorial';
>     version: #bleedingEdge;
>     load.
>
> Then load TerritorialData-AMCharts-HernanMoralesDurand.2 from the repository.

TerritorialData-AMCharts-HernanMoralesDurand.3

or the latest version you find :)

> I published some "fixes" related to Spec and Roassal. (I have to
> review them because I'm porting other packages to Pharo 6.1, but it
> should work for displaying maps).
>
> The following expression displays a window with Colombia departments:
>
> TerritorialAMChartsMapsProvider viewHighResCountry: 'Colombia'
>
> For a choropleth with a heatmap or centroids have a look at how I did
> it in PhyloclassTalk in SmalltalkHub, again I should update it to work
> in Pharo 6.1.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

> <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like a choropleth map of Colombian departments [1]. The first
>> approach would be to use Territorial, but loading it is not working on
>> Pharo 6.1 (used on Manjaro Linux): It doesn't appears in the Catalog,
>> Gopher load gives me: "XMLFileException: File does does not exist:
>> /home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/fao/fao_country_names.xml"
>> and loading Monticello bleeding edge gives me "FileDoesNotExist: File @
>> /home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/opengeocode/wc-ASCII.csv".
>> There is another way to make such choropleth map?
>>
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departments_of_Colombia
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Offray

Re: Territorial loading problems & alternative ways of loading data for making a choropleth map

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Gracias Hernán!

This is working fine. I would like to put the displayed map inside the
GT playground right panel, to get something similar to what you get when
you execute "RTMapLocationExample new exampleSeismOnEarth" from a
playground. Do you have any planned support for that?

I could try to use some similar approach to the one I take on the Panama
Papers choropleth map [1][2] to export some Territorial data for
visualizations in a light format (120kb file example at: [3]), if you're
interested.

[1] http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/panama-papers-1
[2] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/panama-papers/doc/tip/index.html
[3] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/panama-papers/doc/tip/territories.ston

Cheers,

Offray

<[hidden email]>:
> Gracias Hernán!

No problema :)

> This is working fine. I would like to put the displayed map inside the
> GT playground right panel, to get something similar to what you get when
> you execute "RTMapLocationExample new exampleSeismOnEarth" from a
> playground. Do you have any planned support for that?

I know this should be as easy as adding a
<gtInspectorPresentationOrder: ... > pragma

gtInspectorViewIn: composite
    <gtInspectorPresentationOrder: 60>

    composite morph
        title: 'Territorial Map';
        display: [ view build ]

but still I have to investigate how to connect a RTView or TRMorph
with GT inspector

> I could try to use some similar approach to the one I take on the Panama
> Papers choropleth map [1][2] to export some Territorial data for
> visualizations in a light format (120kb file example at: [3]), if you're
> interested.
>
> [1] http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/panama-papers-1
> [2] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/panama-papers/doc/tip/index.html
> [3] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/panama-papers/doc/tip/territories.ston

Super! It would be nice to see usage in other scenarios!
Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Hernán

> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>

> On 23/10/17 23:21, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>> Hola Offray,
>>
>> I tried loading in Windows 8.1 and it loads fine using:
>>
>> Metacello new
>>     smalltalkhubUser: 'hernan' project: 'Territorial';
>>     configuration: 'Territorial';
>>     version: #bleedingEdge;
>>     load.
>>
>> Then load TerritorialData-AMCharts-HernanMoralesDurand.2 from the repository.
>>
>> I published some "fixes" related to Spec and Roassal. (I have to
>> review them because I'm porting other packages to Pharo 6.1, but it
>> should work for displaying maps).
>>
>> The following expression displays a window with Colombia departments:
>>
>> TerritorialAMChartsMapsProvider viewHighResCountry: 'Colombia'
>>
>> For a choropleth with a heatmap or centroids have a look at how I did
>> it in PhyloclassTalk in SmalltalkHub, again I should update it to work
>> in Pharo 6.1.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán

>> <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like a choropleth map of Colombian departments [1]. The first
>>> approach would be to use Territorial, but loading it is not working on
>>> Pharo 6.1 (used on Manjaro Linux): It doesn't appears in the Catalog,
>>> Gopher load gives me: "XMLFileException: File does does not exist:
>>> /home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/fao/fao_country_names.xml"
>>> and loading Monticello bleeding edge gives me "FileDoesNotExist: File @
>>> /home/offray/Programas/Pharo/6.1a/Dev24/territorial_files/opengeocode/wc-ASCII.csv".
>>> There is another way to make such choropleth map?
>>>
>>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departments_of_Colombia
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Offray

Re: Territorial loading problems & alternative ways of loading data for making a choropleth map

Tudor Girba-2
You can directly use the Roassal presentation

gtInspectorExtension: composite
        <gtInspectorPresentationOrder: 20>
        composite roassal2
                        title: ‘...'
                        initializeView: [ YourViewOrBuilder ];
                        painting: [ :yourViewOrBuilder | …  ]

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: Territorial loading problems & alternative ways of loading data for making a choropleth map

hernanmd
Thank you Tudor.

For Offray, I found some time and enabled the country visualizations
through GT over a RTView.

To access all the country names as of this map provider:

TerritorialAMChartsMapsProvider readCountryNames.

To access the GT-Inspector, inspect the following expression:

TerritorialMapObject new
    mapProvider: TerritorialAMChartsMapsProvider;
    viewCountry: 'USA2'.

Now you can access to the GT buttons: zoom, export, etc.

Also if you do not want random colors for administrative 1 levels, you
could setup an uniform color:

TerritorialMapObject new
    mapProvider: (TerritorialAMChartsMapsProvider adm1ColorLevel: Color white);
    viewCountry: 'australia'.

Cheers

Hernán