Terse Guide for Squeak (was: [Newbies] How to give numbers/anything to my program?)

Terse Guide for Squeak (was: [Newbies] How to give numbers/anything to my program?)

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 06:58:55PM +0530, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Friday 01 Oct 2010 2:58:55 am David T. Lewis wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:00:48AM +0200, jon jonsen wrote:
> > > Does anybody know where to get a list of the (most common)
> > > smalltalk-commands and a short description of them?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > The "Terse Guide to Squeak" provides a handy reference:
> >   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5699
> UIManager was missing. I added it now.
>
> I would vote for this to go into the image (help->terse guide) or as an
> external file along with the distro.

I reformatted the Terse Guide so that it can be loaded into the
Squeak help browser, and gave it a few updates and corrections.
The result is in the Squeak developers' inbox.

Dave

Re: Terse Guide for Squeak (was: [Newbies] How to give numbers/anything to my program?)

Casey Ransberger-2
Dave, thank you!!

--
Casey Ransberger

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 10:51:52AM -0800, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> > > UIManager was missing. I added it now.
> > >
> > > I would vote for this to go into the image (help->terse guide) or as an
> > > external file along with the distro.
> >
> > I reformatted the Terse Guide so that it can be loaded into the
> > Squeak help browser, and gave it a few updates and corrections.
> > The result is in the Squeak developers' inbox.
>
> Dave, thank you!!

Well, hopefully it will be useful for us recovering Fortran and
C programmers ;-)

Let me issue two follow up challenges, since I could not figure
these out on my own:

1) It would be good to add a terse one-line expression that would show
the use of block closures. What is the shortest meaningful expression
that illustrates this?

2) It would be nice if the pages in the help book could be set to
behave like workspaces, with syntax formatting and workspace
variables. Can anyone think of a way to do it?

Dave

Re: Terse Guide for Squeak

Juan Vuletich-4
David T. Lewis wrote:

> Well, hopefully it will be useful for us recovering Fortran and
> C programmers ;-)
>
> Let me issue two follow up challenges, since I could not figure
> these out on my own:
>
> 1) It would be good to add a terse one-line expression that would show
> the use of block closures. What is the shortest meaningful expression
> that illustrates this?

They allow functional style code to work properly. For example:

    fac := [ :n | n > 1 ifTrue:  n * (fac value: n-1)] ifFalse: [1]].
    fac value: 5. "120"

and

    fib := [ :n | n < 2 ifTrue: [1] ifFalse: [(fib value: n-1) + (fib
value: n-2)]].
    fib value: 10. "89"

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> 2) It would be nice if the pages in the help book could be set to
> behave like workspaces, with syntax formatting and workspace
> variables. Can anyone think of a way to do it?
>
> Dave

Re: Terse Guide for Squeak (was: [Newbies] How to give numbers/anything to my program?)

Casey Ransberger-2
I've been thinking that maybe the folks interested in docs might revive Mr. Kahler's HyperCard implementation for Squeak. We have a lovely opportunity to have live objects in our docs that users can yank out of the page and play with.

I was really hoping to do something like this with the Blue Book, but haven't been successful at connecting with anyone who knows anything about the rights. I need to try getting in touch with Addison-Wesley next, I suppose, since I've been unsuccessful in tracking down David Robson or Adele Goldberg.

Have you looked a ProfStef in Pharo? It does something like what you're suggesting WRT workspace behavior. It's basically a whole tutorial that runs entirely in a workspace, where you actually navigate by evaluating code, which in itself is pretty cool.

I think the coolest bit of tutorial work I've seen lately is Ted Kahler's Text Field for LObjects specification, which is an "active essay" in which the code that describes the text fields is presented right on the page next to the examples. It's really cool. Google around on Moshi and the title, and you should find it.

Moshi is a fun image: lots of things seem to work in it that have been broken throughout my experience in Squeak.

This is off-topic, but does anyone have Connectors working in Squeak Trunk?

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>wrote:
On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 10:51:52AM -0800, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> > > UIManager was missing. I added it now.
> > >
> > > I would vote for this to go into the image (help->terse guide) or as an
> > > external file along with the distro.
> >
> > I reformatted the Terse Guide so that it can be loaded into the
> > Squeak help browser, and gave it a few updates and corrections.
> > The result is in the Squeak developers' inbox.
>
> Dave, thank you!!

Well, hopefully it will be useful for us recovering Fortran and
C programmers ;-)

Let me issue two follow up challenges, since I could not figure
these out on my own:

1) It would be good to add a terse one-line expression that would show
the use of block closures. What is the shortest meaningful expression
that illustrates this?

2) It would be nice if the pages in the help book could be set to
behave like workspaces, with syntax formatting and workspace
variables. Can anyone think of a way to do it?

Dave

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: Terse Guide for Squeak (was: [Newbies] How to give numbers/anything to my program?)

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] Terse Guide for Squeak (was: [Newbies] How to give numbers/anything to my program?)

On 11/26/10 6:49 PM, "Casey Ransberger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is off-topic, but does anyone have Connectors working in Squeak Trunk?

Yes, FunSqueak is trunk with several “old friends” and “new wonders” working on top of trunk, off course Connectors is one.
MuO image of Stephane Rollandin is another example you must look, several packages was required as pre requisites in his .sar on SqueakMap.
Last time Bert say Etoys people coordinates and maintain the package.

Edgar

Re: Terse Guide for Squeak (was: [Newbies] How to give numbers/anything to my program?)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Casey Ransberger-2 wrote
I've been thinking that maybe the folks interested in docs might revive Mr.
Kahler's HyperCard implementation for Squeak. We have a lovely opportunity
to have live objects in our docs that users can yank out of the page and
play with.
Chris Cunnington has a cool screencast at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgJHShom8uc&feature=youtube_gdata about using a StackMorph as a hypercard.

Casey Ransberger-2 wrote
I think the coolest bit of tutorial work I've seen lately is Ted Kahler's
Text Field for LObjects specification, which is an "active essay" in which
the code that describes the text fields is presented right on the page next
to the examples.
This is amazing.  This is blue plane stuff and what I aspire to in my documentation.  It truly uses the computer for something more interesting than simulating paper.  IIRC there was recently a dl link on VRI's FONC list.

Casey Ransberger-2 wrote
This is off-topic, but does anyone have Connectors working in Squeak Trunk?
I've been using Connectors in 4.1.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Terse Guide for Squeak (was: [Newbies] How to give numbers/anything to my program?)

Travis Griggs-4

On Nov 26, 2010, at 10:46 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 06:58:55PM +0530, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The "Terse Guide to Squeak" provides a handy reference:
>>>  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5699
>> UIManager was missing. I added it now.
>>
>> I would vote for this to go into the image (help->terse guide) or
>> as an
>> external file along with the distro.
>
> I reformatted the Terse Guide so that it can be loaded into the
> Squeak help browser, and gave it a few updates and corrections.
> The result is in the Squeak developers' inbox.

Reminds me of the one pager I put together. One page may indeed be
*too* terse, but it was fun to try and do:

http://objology.blogspot.com/2010/11/one-page-smalltalk-primer.html

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: Terse Guide for Squeak

LawsonEnglish
On 11/26/10 1:49 PM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> I've been thinking that maybe the folks interested in docs might
> revive Mr. Kahler's HyperCard implementation for Squeak. We have a
> lovely opportunity to have live objects in our docs that users can
> yank out of the page and play with.
If it was able to use HyperTalk scripting, you would have so many users
pounding on your doors...

Lawson

Aw: Terse Guide for Squeak (was: [Newbies] How to give numbers/anything to my program?)

pascal.vollmer
If someone is interested I have prepared a version in DocBook 5 which can be transformed to HTML or PDF.
Pascal

> On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 06:58:55PM +0530, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The "Terse Guide to Squeak" provides a handy reference:
> > >   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5699
> > UIManager was missing. I added it now.
> >
> > I would vote for this to go into the image (help->terse guide) or as an
> > external file along with the distro.
>
> I reformatted the Terse Guide so that it can be loaded into the
> Squeak help browser, and gave it a few updates and corrections.
> The result is in the Squeak developers' inbox.
>
> Dave

Pascal Vollmer
Email: [hidden email]