Test for existence of web file (URL)

drtau
I'm building a Dolphin applet, and need to test for the existence
of a file on the web (i.e. does this URL exist).  I would like to
perform this test without having to download the file, and would
like to make this call through the browser (e.g. some NPApplet
method, etc.) to take advantage of the browser settings (e.g. cookies).
Is there any such method?  Thanks in advance.

Re: Test for existence of web file (URL)

Blair McGlashan
"drtau" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...
> I'm building a Dolphin applet, and need to test for the existence
> of a file on the web (i.e. does this URL exist).  I would like to
> perform this test without having to download the file, and would
> like to make this call through the browser (e.g. some NPApplet
> method, etc.) to take advantage of the browser settings (e.g. cookies).
> Is there any such method?  Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately I think not. We are limited by the Plugin SDK API provided by
Netscape, and believe me it is "simple". Actually "simple" is too
charitable, "simplistic" would be more appropriate. For further information
please see http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/WebBrowserPlugin.htm
where I have started an FAQ page on the plugin.

Regards

Blair