Test new 4.1.2 alpha

Karl Ramberg
Hi
I uploaded a new version of for testing

As usual this needs testing :-)

Karl

Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha

Xin Wang
On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 7:14 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
> I uploaded a new version of for testing
> http://etoys.squeak.org/download/4.1/Etoys-To-Go-4.1.2.alpha2.zip
> As usual this needs testing :-)
> Karl

Just do a quick test, find only two issues,

The new Home.pr seems have not been loaded into the image.

Translation updates in po files has not been integrated.

Thanks,
Xin Wang

Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha

Karl Ramberg
Hm,
I'm not sure how to update a project in situ so subprojects remain.

Do someone have a suggestion here ?

Karl

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Xin Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 7:14 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
> I uploaded a new version of for testing
> http://etoys.squeak.org/download/4.1/Etoys-To-Go-4.1.2.alpha2.zip
> As usual this needs testing :-)
> Karl

Just do a quick test, find only two issues,

The new Home.pr seems have not been loaded into the image.

Translation updates in po files has not been integrated.

Thanks,
Xin Wang

Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha

Bert Freudenberg

On 29.05.2011, at 19:19, karl ramberg wrote:

Hm,
I'm not sure how to update a project in situ so subprojects remain.

Do someone have a suggestion here ?

ReleaseBuilderSqueakland does that. If you execute the 5 lines in its class comment, one by one (not together), the new project should be loaded.

I just committed more of the release how-to, but have not gotten to the image-building section yet.

- Bert -

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 29.05.2011, at 19:19, karl ramberg wrote:

Hm,
I'm not sure how to update a project in situ so subprojects remain.

Do someone have a suggestion here ?

ReleaseBuilderSqueakland does that. If you execute the 5 lines in its class comment, one by one (not together), the new project should be loaded.

Ok. It seems we have some work to do with project maintenance and versioning...

I just committed more of the release how-to, but have not gotten to the image-building section yet.

Good you write this down, it's high value information.

I don't know SVN. I just downloaded a client for Windows and have some reading to do before I'm up to speed...

Karl

On 29.05.2011, at 20:02, karl ramberg wrote:

> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 29.05.2011, at 19:19, karl ramberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hm,
>>> I'm not sure how to update a project in situ so subprojects remain.
>>>
>>> Do someone have a suggestion here ?
>>
>> ReleaseBuilderSqueakland does that. If you execute the 5 lines in its class comment, one by one (not together), the new project should be loaded.
>>

> Ok. It seems we have some work to do with project maintenance and versioning...
>
>> I just committed more of the release how-to, but have not gotten to the image-building section yet.
>
> Good you write this down, it's high value information.
>
> I don't know SVN. I just downloaded a client for Windows and have some reading to do before I'm up to speed...
>
> Karl

I created a 4.1.2 alpha 3:

        http://etoys.squeak.org/download/4.1/Etoys-To-Go-4.1.2-alpha3.zip

Xin Wang: this should have the new home project.

Everything is committed to SVN, including the notes in what I did. The release-howto now also describes how to build the image, update the translations, and make an Etoys-To-Go zip file. Sorry, no screencast this time ;)

I updated the NEWS file but left filling in the details of 4.1.2391 to you:

        http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Etoys/NEWS

(I was surprised anyone thought UML is a good thing to add to the Basic category of the object catalog)

Also, when you try to run the ReleaseBuilder it will complain that the NOTICE file does not match the in-image copyright notice. To fix that you simply need to change the copyright methods to look the same as that file. I did not want to spend time on it today.

- Bert -

Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha

Karl Ramberg

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29.05.2011, at 20:02, karl ramberg wrote:

> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 29.05.2011, at 19:19, karl ramberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hm,
>>> I'm not sure how to update a project in situ so subprojects remain.
>>>
>>> Do someone have a suggestion here ?
>>
>> ReleaseBuilderSqueakland does that. If you execute the 5 lines in its class comment, one by one (not together), the new project should be loaded.
>>

> Ok. It seems we have some work to do with project maintenance and versioning...
>
>> I just committed more of the release how-to, but have not gotten to the image-building section yet.
>
> Good you write this down, it's high value information.
>
> I don't know SVN. I just downloaded a client for Windows and have some reading to do before I'm up to speed...
>
> Karl

I created a 4.1.2 alpha 3:

       http://etoys.squeak.org/download/4.1/Etoys-To-Go-4.1.2-alpha3.zip

Xin Wang: this should have the new home project.

Everything is committed to SVN, including the notes in what I did. The release-howto now also describes how to build the image, update the translations, and make an Etoys-To-Go zip file. Sorry, no screencast this time ;)
I'll read trough this.

I updated the NEWS file but left filling in the details of 4.1.2391 to you:

       http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Etoys/NEWS

(I was surprised anyone thought UML is a good thing to add to the Basic category of the object catalog)

Steve wanted the Notice as a kind of postIts to use in projects.

Also, when you try to run the ReleaseBuilder it will complain that the NOTICE file does not match the in-image copyright notice. To fix that you simply need to change the copyright methods to look the same as that file. I did not want to spend time on it today.

I will look at that

Also,  Alpha2 have a updated version of project ParticleDyeInWater and the video to that project.

Karl

- Bert -

Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha

Bert Freudenberg
On 30.05.2011, at 05:36, karl ramberg wrote:

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I created a 4.1.2 alpha 3:

       http://etoys.squeak.org/download/4.1/Etoys-To-Go-4.1.2-alpha3.zip

Xin Wang: this should have the new home project.

Everything is committed to SVN, including the notes in what I did. The release-howto now also describes how to build the image, update the translations, and make an Etoys-To-Go zip file. Sorry, no screencast this time ;)
I'll read trough this.

I updated the NEWS file but left filling in the details of 4.1.2391 to you:

       http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Etoys/NEWS

(I was surprised anyone thought UML is a good thing to add to the Basic category of the object catalog)

Steve wanted the Notice as a kind of postIts to use in projects.

But does it have to be in "Basic"? Also, Steve by now is an advanced user, he sure knows where to find it if he needs it?

In the German translation, that object is called "UML-Notiz". I bet not many of our users know or care what UML is. Looks rather jarring on the first page of a tool aimed at children and teachers:

I'd rather not add features at all in a bug-fix release. Making things easier to access might count as bug fix, so I won't object. But please put it in the Connectors category where it belongs.

Also, when you try to run the ReleaseBuilder it will complain that the NOTICE file does not match the in-image copyright notice. To fix that you simply need to change the copyright methods to look the same as that file. I did not want to spend time on it today.

I will look at that

Also,  Alpha2 have a updated version of project ParticleDyeInWater and the video to that project.

Karl

Ah. Please commit it to the subversion repository. It's the same username/password as for the update stream.

- Bert -

Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha

Harness, Kathleen
Hi,
There is an amazing amount of work being done right for the new release, thanks Karl and Bert!
I have been trying to follow all the changes. What is the Notice, I don't think I have seen it before?
Kathleen

>   On 30.05.2011, at 05:36, karl ramberg wrote:
>
>     On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Bert Freudenberg
>     <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>       I created a 4.1.2 alpha 3:
>
>        http://etoys.squeak.org/download/4.1/Etoys-To-Go-4.1.2-alpha3.zip
>
>       Xin Wang: this should have the new home project.
>
>       Everything is committed to SVN, including the
>       notes in what I did. The release-howto now also
>       describes how to build the image, update the
>       translations, and make an Etoys-To-Go zip file.
>       Sorry, no screencast this time ;)
>
>     I'll read trough this.
>
>       I updated the NEWS file but left filling in the
>       details of 4.1.2391 to you:
>

>        http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Etoys/NEWS
>
>       (I was surprised anyone thought UML is a good
>       thing to add to the Basic category of the object
>       catalog)
>
>     Steve wanted the Notice as a kind of postIts to
>     use in projects.
>
>   But does it have to be in "Basic"? Also, Steve by
>   now is an advanced user, he sure knows where to find
>   it if he needs it?
>   In the German translation, that object is called
>   "UML-Notiz". I bet not many of our users know or
>   care what UML is. Looks rather jarring on the first
>   page of a tool aimed at children and teachers:
>   I'd rather not add features at all in a bug-fix
>   release. Making things easier to access might count
>   as bug fix, so I won't object. But please put it in
>   the Connectors category where it belongs.
>
>       Also, when you try to run the ReleaseBuilder it
>       will complain that the NOTICE file does not
>       match the in-image copyright notice. To fix that
>       you simply need to change the copyright methods
>       to look the same as that file. I did not want to
>       spend time on it today.
>
>     I will look at that
>     Also,  Alpha2 have a updated version of project
>     ParticleDyeInWater and the video to that project.
>     Karl
>
>   Ah. Please commit it to the subversion repository.
>   It's the same username/password as for the update
>   stream.
>   - Bert -

Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha

Karl Ramberg

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 30.05.2011, at 05:36, karl ramberg wrote:

Also,  Alpha2 have a updated version of project ParticleDyeInWater and the video to that project.

Karl

Ah. Please commit it to the subversion repository. It's the same username/password as for the update stream.

I found a Windows friendly SVN client called TurtoiseSVN that I think let me do the right thing.
I submitted the project.

But I'm not sure if it is safe to remove the old one ....

Karl

Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha

Karl Ramberg
Notice is a kind of Post It note you can use in projects.
Steve wanted it to be placed for easy access/discovery in the Objects Tool.
Bert think it could be kept somewhat more discreet.

Karl

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 2:35 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
There is an amazing amount of work being done right for the new release, thanks Karl and Bert!
I have been trying to follow all the changes. What is the Notice, I don't think I have seen it before?
Kathleen

>   On 30.05.2011, at 05:36, karl ramberg wrote:
>
>     On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Bert Freudenberg
>     <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>       I created a 4.1.2 alpha 3:
>
>        http://etoys.squeak.org/download/4.1/Etoys-To-Go-4.1.2-alpha3.zip
>
>       Xin Wang: this should have the new home project.
>
>       Everything is committed to SVN, including the
>       notes in what I did. The release-howto now also
>       describes how to build the image, update the
>       translations, and make an Etoys-To-Go zip file.
>       Sorry, no screencast this time ;)
>
>     I'll read trough this.
>
>       I updated the NEWS file but left filling in the
>       details of 4.1.2391 to you:
>

>        http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Etoys/NEWS
>
>       (I was surprised anyone thought UML is a good
>       thing to add to the Basic category of the object
>       catalog)
>
>     Steve wanted the Notice as a kind of postIts to
>     use in projects.
>
>   But does it have to be in "Basic"? Also, Steve by
>   now is an advanced user, he sure knows where to find
>   it if he needs it?
>   In the German translation, that object is called
>   "UML-Notiz". I bet not many of our users know or
>   care what UML is. Looks rather jarring on the first
>   page of a tool aimed at children and teachers:
>   I'd rather not add features at all in a bug-fix
>   release. Making things easier to access might count
>   as bug fix, so I won't object. But please put it in
>   the Connectors category where it belongs.
>
>       Also, when you try to run the ReleaseBuilder it
>       will complain that the NOTICE file does not
>       match the in-image copyright notice. To fix that
>       you simply need to change the copyright methods
>       to look the same as that file. I did not want to
>       spend time on it today.
>
>     I will look at that
>     Also,  Alpha2 have a updated version of project
>     ParticleDyeInWater and the video to that project.
>     Karl
>
>   Ah. Please commit it to the subversion repository.
>   It's the same username/password as for the update
>   stream.
>   - Bert -

Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha

Xin Wang
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29.05.2011, at 20:02, karl ramberg wrote:

>>> ReleaseBuilderSqueakland does that. If you execute the 5 lines in its class comment, one by one (not together), the new project should be loaded.
>>>

>> Ok. It seems we have some work to do with project maintenance and versioning...
>>
>>> I just committed more of the release how-to, but have not gotten to the image-building section yet.
>>
>> Good you write this down, it's high value information.
>>
>> I don't know SVN. I just downloaded a client for Windows and have some reading to do before I'm up to speed...
>>
>> Karl
>
> I created a 4.1.2 alpha 3:
>
>        http://etoys.squeak.org/download/4.1/Etoys-To-Go-4.1.2-alpha3.zip
>
> Xin Wang: this should have the new home project.

Great, no problem any more.

> Everything is committed to SVN, including the notes in what I did. The release-howto now also describes how to build the image, update the translations, and make an Etoys-To-Go zip file. Sorry, no screencast this time ;)
>
> I updated the NEWS file but left filling in the details of 4.1.2391 to you:
>
>        http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Etoys/NEWS
>
> (I was surprised anyone thought UML is a good thing to add to the Basic category of the object catalog)
>
> Also, when you try to run the ReleaseBuilder it will complain that the NOTICE file does not match the in-image copyright notice. To fix that you simply need to change the copyright methods to look the same as that file. I did not want to spend time on it today.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha

Steve Thomas
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
(I was surprised anyone thought UML is a good thing to add to the Basic category of the object catalog)

Steve wanted the Notice as a kind of postIts to use in projects.

But does it have to be in "Basic"? Also, Steve by now is an advanced user, he sure knows where to find it if he needs it?

In the German translation, that object is called "UML-Notiz". I bet not many of our users know or care what UML is. Looks rather jarring on the first page of a tool aimed at children and teachers:

I'd rather not add features at all in a bug-fix release. Making things easier to access might count as bug fix, so I won't object. But please put it in the Connectors category where it belongs.

I would like to see this added it can be used by teachers and kids as To do lists, comments, reflection etc.
Also I checked the other languages and German is the only one that adds UML.
As far as category I fail to see why "Text Ellipse," "Text Rectangle," "Enhanced Text" and "Title" are "Connectors" and "Scrolling Text" and "Text" are not other than you needed someplace to put text.  As such I would prefer to see Note in Basic, but I am one opinion, will bring up at education committee meeting. One other reason for not putting it in connectors is that in Spanish (the Object Catalog for Spanish is larger than the screen), ie we have a lot more stuff in connectors already some of which IMO does not belong there.

Stephen

Connectors objects (was Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha)

Bert Freudenberg

On 31.05.2011, at 01:53, Steve Thomas wrote:

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
(I was surprised anyone thought UML is a good thing to add to the Basic category of the object catalog)

Steve wanted the Notice as a kind of postIts to use in projects.

But does it have to be in "Basic"? Also, Steve by now is an advanced user, he sure knows where to find it if he needs it?

In the German translation, that object is called "UML-Notiz". I bet not many of our users know or care what UML is. Looks rather jarring on the first page of a tool aimed at children and teachers:

I'd rather not add features at all in a bug-fix release. Making things easier to access might count as bug fix, so I won't object. But please put it in the Connectors category where it belongs.

I would like to see this added it can be used by teachers and kids as To do lists, comments, reflection etc.

Can't they do that using the regular text?

Also I checked the other languages and German is the only one that adds UML.

Yes, but it's still in the help balloon for the other languages.

As far as category I fail to see why "Text Ellipse," "Text Rectangle," "Enhanced Text" and "Title" are "Connectors" and "Scrolling Text" and "Text" are not other than you needed someplace to put text.  As such I would prefer to see Note in Basic, but I am one opinion, will bring up at education committee meeting. One other reason for not putting it in connectors is that in Spanish (the Object Catalog for Spanish is larger than the screen), ie we have a lot more stuff in connectors already some of which IMO does not belong there.

All the objects in the "connectors" category are special. They are specifically designed to be used in diagrams. E.g. they provide a special context menu (on "middle click", accessible by pressing down on your mouse's scroll wheel, or using MagicPrefs with an Apple MagicMouse). Some, but not all of their special abilities are exposed in the halo menu.

(I'd rather hide the whole connectors category for beginners, but that's a whole other discussion)

- Bert -

Re: Connectors objects (was Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha)

Steve Thomas

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

So with more playing I find that "Text Rectangle" meets the need nicely (including the "special ability" to add a text block and show/hide that text block, always learning something new).
Ie: Agreed we do not need UML Note

(I'd rather hide the whole connectors category for beginners, but that's a whole other discussion)
Arrow Editor, Attachment adjuster, Connector Broom, Schematic Connector, Pin, yes agreed these do not need to be there for "beginners"
In general though Connectors I think would be useful for diagramming and certain PowerPoint replacement tasks. But I need to think about this more. The design problem is what to show when/how when they move from beginner to advanced.

In the "Just for Fun" category, Speech and Thought bubbles, don't make much sense to me and should probably be removed from that category. They will simply confuse kids.

Stephen