TestSprinter

Benjamin Van Ryseghem
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: TestSprinter

Tim Mackinnon
Benjamin Van Ryseghem wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> I'm now working on a new Test Runner tool and I wonder which behaviours
> do you want me to implement.
>
> For now, I want the Test Sprinter to be able to :
>     - search through packages and classes thanks to search fields.
>     - browse the hierarchy from packages to test methods (with icons).
>     - create groups of tests easily re-runnable.
>
> If you have any ideas, I'm waiting for them ;)

For me - I miss the following:

A keyboard shortcut to run the tests directly without a mouse (ideally a
way to run the single test my cursor is on, its suite of tests, and all
tests like you imply above).

A way to see the error msg of each test in one glance - e.g. If I make a
change, run my tests and then can see that 10 of them all have the same
DNU error, that tells me useful information. Currently it seems that you
just see pass fail, and have to run the failures one at a time to see if
they have the same error - or potentially different errors.

History - e.g. what was that last error again? I thought I fixed it but
maybe I didn't understand it properly.

Tim

Re: TestSprinter

Alexandre Bergel
> A keyboard shortcut to run the tests directly without a mouse (ideally a way to run the single test my cursor is on, its suite of tests, and all tests like you imply above).

Are you aware of Cmd-t in OB(2) ?

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: TestSprinter

Schwab,Wilhelm K
You might want to look at the SUnit browser in Dolphin.  Its appearance is great.  The way it works is pretty much like every other test runner I have seen: it's nice for verifying the all is well; it stinks for working with failing tests.  For the latter, I find there is no competition (yet anyway) for a TesCase class side method called #prod: which runs a single test method and either does nothing (good news) or raises a walkback.  That goes straight to the problem and there is no worrying about what the tool is going to "think of next" in terms of losing context.  At times I have gone so far as to create methods that run tests referencing a class or selector, etc., but I tend to lose track of them.  #prod: is perennial.

Bill

Re: TestSprinter

Mariano Martinez Peck
Benjamin, you should read all these threads completly.

http://forum.world.st/SUnit-td1297972.html#a1297972

http://forum.world.st/SUnit-td1297972i20.html#a1297974

http://forum.world.st/akuhn-SUnit-chrisma-edition-td1297672.html#a1297672

Read them completly. There a lot of code already done, and a lot of ideas already said. I don't know the status. thus.

Cheers

Mariano

2010/9/3 Benjamin Van Ryseghem <[hidden email]>
Hello everybody

I'm now working on a new Test Runner tool and I wonder which behaviours do you want me to implement.

For now, I want the Test Sprinter to be able to :
    - search through packages and classes thanks to search fields.
    - browse the hierarchy from packages to test methods (with icons).
    - create groups of tests easily re-runnable.

If you have any ideas, I'm waiting for them ;)

Thank you

Ben

Re: TestSprinter

Lukas Renggli
On 3 September 2010 02:57, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> x For the latter, I find there is no competition (yet anyway) for a TesCase class side method called #prod: which runs a single test method and either does nothing (good news) or raises a walkback.

That's what OB-SUnitIntegration does when you press Cmd+T on a test
method/class/package.

Also note that you can directly jump to a debugger in the beginning of
the test (no matter if it is failing or not) by pressing Cmd+D on a
test method.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: TestSprinter

Tim Mackinnon
On 02/09/2010 23:54, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>> A keyboard shortcut to run the tests directly without a mouse (ideally a way to run the single test my cursor is on, its suite of tests, and all tests like you imply above).
>
> Are you aware of Cmd-t in OB(2) ?

I have to confess that is an area I don't understand in Pharo - which
Browser system am I using? OB, OB2, isn't there another one as well?

I don't understand why there seems to be different types of browsers -
and it seems that different versions of pharo have shipped with
different ones making it even more confusing?

So in 1.1 am I just using OB? And should I be using OB2? (Or why
wouldn't I use OB2?)

I'll move this to the user list if thats more appropriate.

> [...]

Tim

Re: TestSprinter

Tim Mackinnon
On 02/09/2010 23:54, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>> A keyboard shortcut to run the tests directly without a mouse (ideally a way to run the single test my cursor is on, its suite of tests, and all tests like you imply above).
>
> Are you aware of Cmd-t in OB(2) ?

I have to confess that is an area I don't understand in Pharo - which
Browser system am I using? OB, OB2, isn't there another one as well?

I don't understand why there seems to be different types of browsers -
and it seems that different versions of pharo have shipped with
different ones making it even more confusing?

So in 1.1 am I just using OB? And should I be using OB2? (Or why
wouldn't I use OB2?)

I'll move this to the user list if thats more appropriate.

OB and O2 are two distinct efforts for providing code browsers. The only cause I see behind this unfortunate situation is the lake of resources.

Cheers,
Alexandre