Testing a profiler

Bill Schwab-2
Hello all,

Any thoughts on verifying that a profiler is returning valid results?  In
particular, I'm thinking of my stepping variant on Ian's profiler.  When I
last tried it, it got numbers that looked somewhat reasonable, but, it would
probably be easy to get confused about the stack frames and produce
nonsense.  Any clever tests?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Testing a profiler

Chris Uppal-3
Bill Schwab wrote:

> Any thoughts on verifying that a profiler is returning valid results?  In
> particular, I'm thinking of my stepping variant on Ian's profiler

I can't suggest Unit tests, but for normal sanity checking it should be
sufficient to cross-check against Ian's original profiler shouldn't it ?  If
your new tool has significantly better temporal resolution than Ian's, then
compensate for that by running Ian's profiler on a correspondingly longer
run of the target code.

In the most intensive use I've made of the existing profiler I was using
runs in the 10s of minutes -- which was long enough to "resolve" down to the
time taken *sending* messages (as opposed to execting the bodies of the
methods).  Creates masses of data, though...

    -- chris