Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs)

Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs)

francisco.j.garau
Hi,

I am trying to write a SUnit test for a method that pop ups a Dialog. Is
it possible to do that?

Here is the method I want to test:

Number>>sillyMethod
        ^self < 5 ifTrue: [0] ifFalse: [Dialog warn: 'hello']

And here is the test I am writing.

testSillyMethod
        self assert: 1 sillyMethod = 0.
        self assert: 6 sillyMethod.
        self should: [6 sillyMethod] raise: Error.

I think that the problem can be summarized as: "How do we trap a poping up
Dialog?"

[Dialog warn: 'hello'] on: Error do: [:s | s halt ]

Cheers,
---
Francisco Garau
0207 777 1362 - x71362 -- 10 Aldermanbury -- AL0G-0007

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Re: Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs)

Reinout Heeck-2
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to write a SUnit test for a method that pop ups a Dialog. Is
> it possible to do that?
>
> Here is the method I want to test:
>
> Number>>sillyMethod
>         ^self < 5 ifTrue: [0] ifFalse: [Dialog warn: 'hello']
>
> And here is the test I am writing.
>
> testSillyMethod
>         self assert: 1 sillyMethod = 0.
>         self assert: 6 sillyMethod.
>         self should: [6 sillyMethod] raise: Error.
>

> I think that the problem can be summarized as: "How do we trap a poping up
> Dialog?"

Well, don't pop it up :-)

Here are two suggestions:

1) replace SimpleDialog by a mock class during your testing. This can be
done by temporarily altering Dialog class>dialogSupplier (for example by
using MethodWrappers).

2) make your domain more testable, so don't use Dialog but use
UserNotification (or your own subclass) instead.
Now you have dialogs that behave like exceptions: you can catch them
(and #resumeWith:) in your tests before a window opens.

> [Dialog warn: 'hello'] on: Error do: [:s | s halt ]

[UserNotification raiseSignal: 'hello']
     on: UserNotification
     do: [:ex |
         gotException:=true.
         ex resume]

I prefer 2) because it makes code reusable in headless applications
(since the calling code can intercept user notifications and handle them
using standard exception handling code, something it cannot do with
dialogs).

HTH,

-

Re: Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs)

davidbuck
I agree with everything Reinout said here.  If you don't have the option
of blocking the dialog box, though, it's possible to just deal with it.
VWUnit (from the Cincom Store repository) can connect to a dialog box
and push buttons in it. You can, therefore, allow the dialog box to come
up then use VWUnit to find it, and press an OK button to continue with
your test.

Obviously, it's preferable to avoid popping up the dialog box at all if
you can.

David Buck
Simberon Inc.
www.simberon.com

Reinout Heeck wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to write a SUnit test for a method that pop ups a Dialog.
>> Is it possible to do that?
>> Here is the method I want to test:
>> Number>>sillyMethod
>>         ^self < 5 ifTrue: [0] ifFalse: [Dialog warn: 'hello']
>> And here is the test I am writing.
>> testSillyMethod
>>         self assert: 1 sillyMethod = 0.
>>         self assert: 6 sillyMethod.         self should: [6
>> sillyMethod] raise: Error.
>>

>> I think that the problem can be summarized as: "How do we trap a
>> poping up Dialog?"
>

> Well, don't pop it up :-)
>
> Here are two suggestions:
>
> 1) replace SimpleDialog by a mock class during your testing. This can be
> done by temporarily altering Dialog class>dialogSupplier (for example by
> using MethodWrappers).
>

> 2) make your domain more testable, so don't use Dialog but use
> UserNotification (or your own subclass) instead.
> Now you have dialogs that behave like exceptions: you can catch them
> (and #resumeWith:) in your tests before a window opens.
>
>> [Dialog warn: 'hello'] on: Error do: [:s | s halt ]
>

> [UserNotification raiseSignal: 'hello']
>     on: UserNotification
>     do: [:ex |
>         gotException:=true.
>         ex resume]
>

> I prefer 2) because it makes code reusable in headless applications
> (since the calling code can intercept user notifications and handle them
> using standard exception handling code, something it cannot do with
> dialogs).
>

> HTH,

> -

Re: Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs)

Vassili Bykov
There is a yet another option, and that's to use MethodWrappers to
intercept #warn: sent to a dialog. Define a method like this:

     warnDialogOpenedWhile: aBlock

        | warnWrapper opened |
        opened := false.
        warnWrapper := ConditionalMethodWrapper
                on: #warn:
                inClass: Dialog class
                alternative: [:r :a | opened := true. nil].
        warnWrapper install.
        aBlock ensure: [warnWrapper uninstall].
        ^opened

And then use it as:

     self assert:
        (self warnDialogOpenedWhile: [self pressButton: #Accept])].

This is to test that a dialog did in fact open, but of course you can
use the same method to simply suppress it during a test.

--
Vassili Bykov <[hidden email]>

[:s | s, s printString] value: '[s: | s, s printString] value: '

Re: Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs)

Travis Griggs-3

On Oct 19, 2006, at 5:19, Reinout Heeck wrote:

[...]

Me too. Another approach is to use an Announcement. The Coupling is looser then and allows more scenarios. In this particular case, it probably wouldn't work though, at least not to have SmallInteger be the announcer. You'd have to have some other notification center.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs)

Isaac Gouy-2
I think it's a shame that these kinds of discussion
don't appear on comp.lang.smalltalk

comp.lang.smalltalk gives the impression that
Smalltalk is moribund, when in fact there language
discussions taking place on isolated implementation
mailing-lists which those outside the Smalltalk
ingroup never see.

The ruby-talk mailing list has a gateway to
comp.lang.ruby and that gives people outside the Ruby
ingroup a very public place to see that things are
happening.

Maybe it's time to push postings from all the isolated
Smalltalk mailing-lists onto comp.lang.smalltalk and
give some public sense that Smalltalk does still exist
and is still used.

--- [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to write a SUnit test for a method that
> pop ups a Dialog. Is
> it possible to do that?
>
> Here is the method I want to test:
>
> Number>>sillyMethod
>         ^self < 5 ifTrue: [0] ifFalse: [Dialog warn:
> 'hello']
>
> And here is the test I am writing.
>
> testSillyMethod
>         self assert: 1 sillyMethod = 0.
>         self assert: 6 sillyMethod.
>         self should: [6 sillyMethod] raise: Error.
>

> I think that the problem can be summarized as: "How
> do we trap a poping up
> Dialog?"
>
> [Dialog warn: 'hello'] on: Error do: [:s | s halt ]
>

> Cheers,
> ---
> Francisco Garau
> 0207 777 1362 - x71362 -- 10 Aldermanbury --
> AL0G-0007
>

> This communication is for informational purposes
> only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation
> for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument
> or as an official confirmation of any transaction.
> All market prices, data and other information are
> not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are
> subject to change without notice. Any comments or
> statements made herein do not necessarily reflect
> those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and
> affiliates.
>
> This transmission may contain information that is
> privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or
> exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you
> are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
> notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution,
> or use of the information contained herein
> (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY
> PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any
> attachments are believed to be free of any virus or
> other defect that might affect any computer system
> into which it is received and opened, it is the
> responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is
> virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
> JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and
> affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage
> arising in any way from its use. If you received
> this transmission in error, please immediately
> contact the sender and destroy the material in its
> entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.
> Thank you.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs)

eliot-2
Isaac Gouy <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I think it's a shame that these kinds of discussion
| don't appear on comp.lang.smalltalk

| comp.lang.smalltalk gives the impression that
| Smalltalk is moribund, when in fact there language
| discussions taking place on isolated implementation
| mailing-lists which those outside the Smalltalk
| ingroup never see.

| The ruby-talk mailing list has a gateway to
| comp.lang.ruby and that gives people outside the Ruby
| ingroup a very public place to see that things are
| happening.

| Maybe it's time to push postings from all the isolated
| Smalltalk mailing-lists onto comp.lang.smalltalk and
| give some public sense that Smalltalk does still exist
| and is still used.

That's a really good idea.  We could automate it and prefix with [VWNC].  I regretted (and argued against) the creation of comp/lang.smalltalk.dolphin but don't so much now as their volume is high and that community is clearly using the group for their cmmunication.  So I'm happy for that group to continue as is.  But I think increasing the volume of c.l.s. (with the source-identifying prefix) is devoutly to be wished.  So will you motivate it?

Peter Hatch, can you investigate how hard this would be to do with teh folks at UIUC?  TIA...

P.S.  what usenet clients do people recommend on MacOS X?

| --- [hidden email] wrote:

| > Hi,
| >
| > I am trying to write a SUnit test for a method that
| > pop ups a Dialog. Is
| > it possible to do that?
| >
| > Here is the method I want to test:
| >
| > Number>>sillyMethod
| >         ^self < 5 ifTrue: [0] ifFalse: [Dialog warn:
| > 'hello']
| >
| > And here is the test I am writing.
| >
| > testSillyMethod
| >         self assert: 1 sillyMethod = 0.
| >         self assert: 6 sillyMethod.
| >         self should: [6 sillyMethod] raise: Error.
| >

| > I think that the problem can be summarized as: "How
| > do we trap a poping up
| > Dialog?"
| >
| > [Dialog warn: 'hello'] on: Error do: [:s | s halt ]
| >

| > Cheers,
| > ---
| > Francisco Garau
| > 0207 777 1362 - x71362 -- 10 Aldermanbury --
| > AL0G-0007
| >

| > This communication is for informational purposes
| > only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation
| > for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument
| > or as an official confirmation of any transaction.
| > All market prices, data and other information are
| > not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are
| > subject to change without notice. Any comments or
| > statements made herein do not necessarily reflect
| > those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and
| > affiliates.
| >
| > This transmission may contain information that is
| > privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or
| > exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you
| > are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
| > notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution,
| > or use of the information contained herein
| > (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY
| > PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any
| > attachments are believed to be free of any virus or
| > other defect that might affect any computer system
| > into which it is received and opened, it is the
| > responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is
| > virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
| > JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and
| > affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage
| > arising in any way from its use. If you received
| > this transmission in error, please immediately
| > contact the sender and destroy the material in its
| > entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.
| > Thank you.

| Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
| http://mail.yahoo.com
---
Eliot Miranda                 ,,,^..^,,,                mailto:[hidden email]
VisualWorks Engineering, Cincom  Smalltalk: scene not herd  Tel +1 408 216 4581
3350 Scott Blvd, Bldg 36 Suite B, Santa Clara, CA 95054 USA Fax +1 408 216 4500

Re: Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs)

Dennis smith-4
(P.S. -- and it would also be nice if on this list, a "reply" went to vwnc!!
             I jsut did it again!!)

Isaac Gouy wrote:
I think it's a shame that these kinds of discussion
don't appear on comp.lang.smalltalk

comp.lang.smalltalk gives the impression that
Smalltalk is moribund, when in fact there language
discussions taking place on isolated implementation
mailing-lists which those outside the Smalltalk
ingroup never see.

The ruby-talk mailing list has a gateway to
comp.lang.ruby and that gives people outside the Ruby
ingroup a very public place to see that things are
happening.

Maybe it's time to push postings from all the isolated
Smalltalk mailing-lists onto comp.lang.smalltalk and
give some public sense that Smalltalk does still exist
and is still used.

Interesting thought -- I see so much on vwnc that I seldom go to
comp.lang.smalltalk anymore -- and that is probably a bad thing.
It would be nice if there was something that showed everything??

--- [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Dennis Smith                        [hidden email]
Cherniak Software Development Corporation       +1 905.771.7011
400-10 Commerce Valley Dr E                Fax: +1 905.771.6288
Thornhill, ON Canada L3T 7N7    http://www.CherniakSoftware.com

Re: Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs)

Karsten Kusche

> P.S.  what usenet clients do people recommend on MacOS X?

unison is said be great. or you just use thunderbird that works well, too.

Karsten

VWNC and c.l.s (Was: Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs))

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Isaac Gouy wrote:
> I think it's a shame that these kinds of discussion
> don't appear on comp.lang.smalltalk
> [..]
> > Maybe it's time to push postings from all the isolated
> Smalltalk mailing-lists onto comp.lang.smalltalk and
> give some public sense that Smalltalk does still exist
> and is still used.

Posting to newsgroups with a valid email address is the best way to
increase the amount of spam sent to this address. If VWNC mails would be
automatically crossposted to c.l.s without scrambling the e-mail address
of the sender, I would definitely stop using VWNC.

My 2 cents,

Holger

Re: VWNC and c.l.s (Was: Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs))

Travis Griggs-3

On Oct 19, 2006, at 10:15, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

Isaac Gouy wrote:
I think it's a shame that these kinds of discussion
don't appear on comp.lang.smalltalk
[..]
> Maybe it's time to push postings from all the isolated
Smalltalk mailing-lists onto comp.lang.smalltalk and
give some public sense that Smalltalk does still exist
and is still used.

Posting to newsgroups with a valid email address is the best way to increase the amount of spam sent to this address. If VWNC mails would be automatically crossposted to c.l.s without scrambling the e-mail address of the sender, I would definitely stop using VWNC.

Is that really the case anymore? I don't honestly know. I know that many of us ran away fast from comp.lang.whatever 5+ years ago because the spam liability had grown just too high. I remember the Squeak Team at the time (Kay, Ingalls, Kahler, et al) adamantly refusing to endorse any comp.lang.squeak because of that. At the time mailing lists were preferred because they could be locally admin'd. I don't think this movement was isolated to the Smalltalk crowd. I know it happened in both the Lisp and Objective-C communities.

Now days, I have good faith in Mail.app's junk filter (or Thunderbird's), so the spam liability doesn't bother me anymore. I wonder if spam harvesters use nntp lists as much any more either. It's just easier to write a virus that harvests Outlook address books and convince recipients to activate it by hiding it behind an apparent link to some pretty girl.

I've only lately begun to follow comp.lang.smalltalk again thru a googlegroups rss feed. I dl'ed Unison, but it costs money IIRC. So I haven't found a good free/simple newsreader for OSX. I do know that I'm just about max'ed out on Smalltalk media bandwidth. Mailing lists. IRC channels. Blogs. Screen casts. RSS feeds. Web Forums. Returning to c.l.s. is just one more. What I want is an RSS feed on all of the mailing lists and comp.lang.smalltalk variants, and have it be smart enough that when I "add comment", it actually just bridges that back to the appropriate target. Sounds like something a BottomFeeder type of guy could write. Maybe call it "TopSipper".

Years ago, 1994'ish, there used to be a mail gateway to comp.lang.smalltalk. Bitdearn.de or something like that. That was how I participated in c.l.s. for the first couple of  years.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: VWNC and c.l.s

Steve Aldred
Travis Griggs wrote:

On Oct 19, 2006, at 10:15, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

Posting to newsgroups with a valid email address is the best way to increase the amount of spam sent to this address. If VWNC mails would be automatically crossposted to c.l.s without scrambling the e-mail address of the sender, I would definitely stop using VWNC.

Is that really the case anymore?...
I also believe it is.
I absolutely do not want my address published to a public newsgroup.
... I wonder if spam harvesters use nntp lists as much any more either...
On the few occasions I've accidentally published a real address to a newsgroup I get an increase in spam shortly after.  I believe its a real concern and expect Holger and I won't be the only ones to think so.

Steve A

Spam (Re: VWNC and c.l.s)

Reinout Heeck
Steve Aldred wrote:
 > On the few occasions I've accidentally published a real address to a
 > newsgroup I get an increase in spam shortly after.  I believe its a real
 > concern and expect Holger and I won't be the only ones to think so.

I live at the other end of the spectrum: I have always refused to cloak
my email address, even on newsgroup postings.

 From here I can report that spam seems not to scale: it tops at
something like 200 messages per day, no matter how often I post publicly.

So while I also believe "its a real concern" it is certainly not
unsurmountble, client-side spam filters do a nice job and since it seems
to top at 200/day they will not be swamped.

If you subscribe to c.l.s with all the St mail lists funneled into it
you will see more real messages than spam even with 200 spams/day ;-)

-

Re: Spam (Re: VWNC and c.l.s)

Dennis smith-4
I agree with this -- have never hidden my email address.  Not sure that
200/day is my limit,
it might be a bit higher, but it has not changed certainly in the last
year, and a couple of filters
do the job nicely -- we have a filter on a mail server, and I suspect I
see only about 50 per day
by the time it gets to Tunderbird.

Reinout Heeck wrote:

> Steve Aldred wrote:
>  > On the few occasions I've accidentally published a real address to a
>  > newsgroup I get an increase in spam shortly after.  I believe its a real
>  > concern and expect Holger and I won't be the only ones to think so.
>
> I live at the other end of the spectrum: I have always refused to cloak
> my email address, even on newsgroup postings.
>
>  From here I can report that spam seems not to scale: it tops at
> something like 200 messages per day, no matter how often I post publicly.

I get about about 5 to 10 spam mails each day, and really don't want to
receive 190 additional virus carriers.

Re: Testing silly methods (or trapping Dialogs)

stéphane ducasse-2
This is indeed a good idea. We could ask the squeakers to do the same!

Stef

On 19 oct. 06, at 19:04, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
> | > into which it is received and opened, it is the
> | > responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is
> | > virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
> | > JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and
> | > affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage
> | > arising in any way from its use. If you received
> | > this transmission in error, please immediately
> | > contact the sender and destroy the material in its
> | > entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.
> | > Thank you.

> | Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> | http://mail.yahoo.com
> ---
> Eliot Miranda                 ,,,^..^,,,
> mailto:[hidden email]
> VisualWorks Engineering, Cincom  Smalltalk: scene not herd  Tel +1
> 408 216 4581
> 3350 Scott Blvd, Bldg 36 Suite B, Santa Clara, CA 95054 USA Fax +1

Re: Spam (Re: VWNC and c.l.s)

Yanni Chiu
Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:
> Reinout Heeck wrote:
>>
>> I live at the other end of the spectrum: I have always refused to
>> cloak my email address, even on newsgroup postings.
>>
>>  From here I can report that spam seems not to scale: it tops at
>> something like 200 messages per day, no matter how often I post publicly.

That's the experience I've had as well. I generally see
100-200 spams/day, Monday to Friday, and less than 100
on weekends.

> I get about about 5 to 10 spam mails each day, and really don't want to
> receive 190 additional virus carriers.

It's just a matter of time. If you're in someone
else's address book that gets harvested, it will
build up from there.

Re: Spam (Re: VWNC and c.l.s)

Isaac Gouy-2
After these fear of spam comments I took a moment to
look at the headers shown for a posting from Eliot
Miranda <[hidden email]> to comp.lang.smalltalk

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.smalltalk/msg/e0fd8c23b77680ae?dmode=source

From: Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk
Subject: Re: VW 7.4 on OSX Intel?