Text editor in Dolphin

David G Jones
The current Dolphin text editor is a wrapper around the MS Rich Text
control. I think for my current project I might need something a
little more sophisticated; embedding graphics, flexible syntax
highlighting, accurate indication of character-by-character model
modifications, embedded dolphin subviews and pop-up help comments.

Has anyone created a text editor view/presenter using 100% Dolphin
Smalltalk rather than relying on MS controls?

Cheers
--
David G Jones               mailto:[hidden email]
                                    http://www.night.dircon.co.uk

Re: Text editor in Dolphin

rush
"David G Jones" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> The current Dolphin text editor is a wrapper around the MS Rich Text
> control. I think for my current project I might need something a
> little more sophisticated; embedding graphics, flexible syntax
> highlighting, accurate indication of character-by-character model
> modifications, embedded dolphin subviews and pop-up help comments.
>
> Has anyone created a text editor view/presenter using 100% Dolphin
> Smalltalk rather than relying on MS controls?

No Dolphin editor from me, but if it can be of any help I have some wrapper
code around Scintilla (www.scintilla.org) edit control. Scintilla has
generic syntax highlighter for number of languages, and some other nice
features.

rush

Me

Re: Text editor in Dolphin

Me
Did you actually get this working and integrated into the IDE? Does it
work well? I have yet to come across a Smalltalk implementation with
an even half-way decent source code editor. I think smalltalk IDE
developers just count on other developers writing only small methods
but after a lot of small methods, editing frustrations really start to
build up. I haven't used scintilla but it looks like it would be
better.

--chris

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:48:51 +0200, "rush" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>"David G Jones" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>news:[hidden email]...
>> The current Dolphin text editor is a wrapper around the MS Rich Text
>> control. I think for my current project I might need something a
>> little more sophisticated; embedding graphics, flexible syntax
>> highlighting, accurate indication of character-by-character model
>> modifications, embedded dolphin subviews and pop-up help comments.
>>
>> Has anyone created a text editor view/presenter using 100% Dolphin
>> Smalltalk rather than relying on MS controls?
>
>No Dolphin editor from me, but if it can be of any help I have some wrapper
>code around Scintilla (www.scintilla.org) edit control. Scintilla has
>generic syntax highlighter for number of languages, and some other nice
>features.
>
>rush

Re: Text editor in Dolphin

rush
"Me" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Did you actually get this working and integrated into the IDE? Does it
> work well? I have yet to come across a Smalltalk implementation with
> an even half-way decent source code editor. I think smalltalk IDE
> developers just count on other developers writing only small methods
> but after a lot of small methods, editing frustrations really start to
> build up. I haven't used scintilla but it looks like it would be
> better.

Hello,

my work on the Sintilla was mainly oriented on editing php, and html files,
and not integrating it as smalltalk editor in Dolphin. Scitilla does not
have out of the box lexer for smalltalk, but I think it could be either
added, or appropriate callbacks could be written in scintilla wrapper.

Current Dolphin wrapper can be downloaded from:

http://www.templatetamer.org/index.php?DolphinScintilla

but please bear in mind that this is early version, and much of it could
change in the future, and that documentation is almost non existant.
However, once you get started, working with scintilla is fun.

rush