Text morph with line numbers?

ngarbezza
Hi all,

Is there any text morph that shows line numbers? I mean something like
that: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.8/images/codeeditor-example.png

Nahuel

Re: Text morph with line numbers?

Igor Stasenko
On 1 February 2012 15:47, Nahuel Garbezza <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any text morph that shows line numbers? I mean something like
> that: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.8/images/codeeditor-example.png

Dunno. And don't care :)

Once you need a line numbers in smalltalk code, it means that you
doing something wrong
and your code needs to be refactored.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Text morph with line numbers?

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
In Nautilus there is something similar which show how characters the method is composed of.

You should be able to hack it (PluggableTextMorphWithLimit)

(Even if I think Igor's right ;) )

Ben

On Feb 1, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 1 February 2012 15:47, Nahuel Garbezza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there any text morph that shows line numbers? I mean something like
>> that: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.8/images/codeeditor-example.png
>>
> Dunno. And don't care :)
>
> Once you need a line numbers in smalltalk code, it means that you
> doing something wrong
> and your code needs to be refactored.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Text morph with line numbers?

ngarbezza
> In Nautilus there is something similar which show how characters the method is composed of.
>
> You should be able to hack it (PluggableTextMorphWithLimit)
>
> (Even if I think Igor's right ;) )
>
> Ben
>

> On Feb 1, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> On 1 February 2012 15:47, Nahuel Garbezza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there any text morph that shows line numbers? I mean something like
>>> that: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.8/images/codeeditor-example.png
>>>
>> Dunno. And don't care :)
>>
>> Once you need a line numbers in smalltalk code, it means that you
>> doing something wrong
>> and your code needs to be refactored.

Thanks for the answers (I agree with you) but I don't need this for
Smalltalk code.

Nahuel

Re: Text morph with line numbers?

Guillermo Polito
Hi Nahuel!

Not long ago (young 1.3 I think) there was a transcript implementation that showed line numbers(or something like that)... I don't know where to find it now, but at least you have a hint to track down :).

Saludos,
Guille

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Nahuel Garbezza <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In Nautilus there is something similar which show how characters the method is composed of.
>
> You should be able to hack it (PluggableTextMorphWithLimit)
>
> (Even if I think Igor's right ;) )
>
> Ben
>

> On Feb 1, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> On 1 February 2012 15:47, Nahuel Garbezza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there any text morph that shows line numbers? I mean something like
>>> that: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.8/images/codeeditor-example.png
>>>
>> Dunno. And don't care :)
>>
>> Once you need a line numbers in smalltalk code, it means that you
>> doing something wrong
>> and your code needs to be refactored.

Thanks for the answers (I agree with you) but I don't need this for
Smalltalk code.

Nahuel

Re: Text morph with line numbers?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I would be interested in something like this, as well.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Text morph with line numbers?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Igor,

A TextMorph can be used for all sorts of purposes, not just Smalltalk code.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: Text morph with line numbers?

S Krish
My plans are of having Pharo as the primary platform and Groovy to support integration to the outside world of plethora of frameworks..

This will easily form the base for the Groovy ( syntax highlighted) simple editor.. !.. though complex work can move to eclipse...

On 2 February 2012 07:13, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>
> A TextMorph can be used for all sorts of purposes, not just Smalltalk code.

In theory.
In practice, for those who want something else than editing small
snippets of st code,
i'd recommend to use (or implement) something else.

The text representation model which TextMorph uses, doesn't scale for
large texts.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

On 2 Feb 2012, at 14:22, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 2 February 2012 07:13, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Igor,
>>
>> A TextMorph can be used for all sorts of purposes, not just Smalltalk code.
>>
> In theory.
> In practice, for those who want something else than editing small
> snippets of st code,
> i'd recommend to use (or implement) something else.
>
> The text representation model which TextMorph uses, doesn't scale for
> large texts.

In theory, this would be a good solution. In practice, we do not have anything else right now :).

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."