TextArea or TextInputs give me + for space character

TextArea or TextInputs give me + for space character

John Pierce-2
Hi all,

I'm working up an application in Seaside 2.6 and when I postback my
page, the spaces in my TextInput or TextArea controls gets all spaces
translated to a + sign. Carriage returns come in to Squeak okay, but
what's going on with the + sign?

Any ideas where this translation is occurring or "untranslation" is
not occurring?

John

--
It's easy to have a complicated idea. It's very very hard to have a
simple idea. -- Carver Mead

Re: TextArea or TextInputs give me + for space character

John Pierce-2
One minor update to this. The HttpRequest class (part of Kom) has this
decodeUrlEncodedForm:multipleValue: class method that WAKom invokes to
translate the form posted fields back to their usual self.

This method calls unescapePercents method on String instances and this
appears to be the culprit. It handles translating % encoded values
back to their usual selves and it even appears that it wants to
translate + sign back to space, but it doesn't appear to have any
actual code to handle + signs. (I think it wants to do this, because
it put the + sign into a special characters array it and looks for
these characters -- but then has no handler for it if it finds it).

Is this new in 3.9? How are others sending back paragraphs of data
from a front-end web page in Seaside and getting around the
translation issue or am I missing something fundamental here?

John

--
It's easy to have a complicated idea. It's very very hard to have a
simple idea. -- Carver Mead

Re: TextArea or TextInputs give me + for space character

Damien Cassou-3
You may be interested by this mail:

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/pipermail/smallwiki/2006-April/001823.html

--
Damien Cassou

Re: TextArea or TextInputs give me + for space character

John Pierce-2
Hi Damien,

Thanks for the tip -- that worked. So is this something that I should
open as a defect in Mantis for squeak or has that already been done? I
wonder whose problem this is to get corrected?

Regards,

John