TextMorph without being able to be edited?

TextMorph without being able to be edited?

Carla F. Griggio
Hi again, everyone!

I think this might be really really silly, but I couldn't find a way to show a TextMorph without the ability to edit it's text.
If I use a StringMorph to show a paragraph, it looks horrible, but if I use a TextMorph and click on it, a blue border appears and I'm able to edit the text, I don't want that to happen.

Is there another morph for showing text that only shows text and nothing else? Or a property of TextMorph that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Carla

Re: TextMorph without being able to be edited?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Carla,

It's not silly when you can't figure out how to do it.  Just glancing at some of my code, I think one approach is to use #newTextEditorFor:getText:setText:.  The receiver is a TEasilyThemed user (StandardWindow is a good example).  The first argument is the model, and the last two are selectors for message the model should understand.  Give nil for the setter, and I *think* you will get what you want.  If not, there will be some type of read-only flag to be set.

Bill

Re: TextMorph without being able to be edited?

Fernando olivero
Try NewTextMorph!

t := NewTextMorph new.
borderWidth: 1;
borderColor: Color red;
color: Color white;
padding: 5 ;
readOnly: true;
autoFit: true ;
text: 'I present my text as read only ' asText ;
openInWorld.

Fernando
On Aug 7, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

Hi again, everyone!

I think this might be really really silly, but I couldn't find a way to show a TextMorph without the ability to edit it's text.
If I use a StringMorph to show a paragraph, it looks horrible, but if I use a TextMorph and click on it, a blue border appears and I'm able to edit the text, I don't want that to happen.

Is there another morph for showing text that only shows text and nothing else? Or a property of TextMorph that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Carla
<ATT00001..txt>

Re: TextMorph without being able to be edited?

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes!

On Aug 9, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> Try NewTextMorph!
>
> t := NewTextMorph new.
> borderWidth: 1;
> borderColor: Color red;
> color: Color white;
> padding: 5 ;
> readOnly: true;
> autoFit: true ;
> text: 'I present my text as read only ' asText ;
> openInWorld.
>
> Fernando
> On Aug 7, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:
>
>> Hi again, everyone!
>>
>> I think this might be really really silly, but I couldn't find a way to show a TextMorph without the ability to edit it's text.
>> If I use a StringMorph to show a paragraph, it looks horrible, but if I use a TextMorph and click on it, a blue border appears and I'm able to edit the text, I don't want that to happen.
>>
>> Is there another morph for showing text that only shows text and nothing else? Or a property of TextMorph that I'm missing?
>>

>> Thanks!
>> Carla
>> <ATT00001..txt>

Re: TextMorph without being able to be edited?

Carla F. Griggio
:D ! Great! Thanks.

But it seems that a NewTextMorph doesn't understand autoFit: nor padding:
:(

I don't really care about the padding now, but I'd like to have this morph 'autofitted' :P How come that it works for you (Fernando) and not me? :S
I found that if I send #fitToParagraph to the NewTextMorph instance after I set it's text, it fits OK.

I still have to try Bill's suggestion.

Thanks!
Carla

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes!

On Aug 9, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> Try NewTextMorph!
>
> t := NewTextMorph new.
>               borderWidth: 1;
>               borderColor: Color red;
>               color: Color white;
>               padding: 5 ;
>               readOnly: true;
>               autoFit: true ;
>               text: 'I present my text as read only ' asText ;
>               openInWorld.
>
> Fernando
> On Aug 7, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:
>
>> Hi again, everyone!
>>
>> I think this might be really really silly, but I couldn't find a way to show a TextMorph without the ability to edit it's text.
>> If I use a StringMorph to show a paragraph, it looks horrible, but if I use a TextMorph and click on it, a blue border appears and I'm able to edit the text, I don't want that to happen.
>>
>> Is there another morph for showing text that only shows text and nothing else? Or a property of TextMorph that I'm missing?
>>

>> Thanks!
>> Carla
>> <ATT00001..txt>

Re: TextMorph without being able to be edited?

Fernando olivero
Did you try in an updated 1.2 image?

(Menu tools Software update)

Please let me know, because is working fine for me in Gaucho, since a while now.
And i'm using an updated 1.2 image.

Saludos,
Fernando

On Aug 9, 2010, at 10:11 PM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

:D ! Great! Thanks.

But it seems that a NewTextMorph doesn't understand autoFit: nor padding:
:(

I don't really care about the padding now, but I'd like to have this morph 'autofitted' :P How come that it works for you (Fernando) and not me? :S
I found that if I send #fitToParagraph to the NewTextMorph instance after I set it's text, it fits OK.

I still have to try Bill's suggestion.

Thanks!
Carla

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes!

On Aug 9, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> Try NewTextMorph!
>
> t := NewTextMorph new.
>               borderWidth: 1;
>               borderColor: Color red;
>               color: Color white;
>               padding: 5 ;
>               readOnly: true;
>               autoFit: true ;
>               text: 'I present my text as read only ' asText ;
>               openInWorld.
>
> Fernando
> On Aug 7, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:
>
>> Hi again, everyone!
>>
>> I think this might be really really silly, but I couldn't find a way to show a TextMorph without the ability to edit it's text.
>> If I use a StringMorph to show a paragraph, it looks horrible, but if I use a TextMorph and click on it, a blue border appears and I'm able to edit the text, I don't want that to happen.
>>
>> Is there another morph for showing text that only shows text and nothing else? Or a property of TextMorph that I'm missing?
>>

>> Thanks!
>> Carla
>> <ATT00001..txt>

<ATT00001..txt>

Re: TextMorph without being able to be edited?

Carla F. Griggio
Fernando, that works fine in an updated 1.2 image :)

2010/8/9 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>
Did you try in an updated 1.2 image?

(Menu tools Software update)

Please let me know, because is working fine for me in Gaucho, since a while now.
And i'm using an updated 1.2 image.

Saludos,
Fernando

On Aug 9, 2010, at 10:11 PM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

:D ! Great! Thanks.

But it seems that a NewTextMorph doesn't understand autoFit: nor padding:
:(

I don't really care about the padding now, but I'd like to have this morph 'autofitted' :P How come that it works for you (Fernando) and not me? :S
I found that if I send #fitToParagraph to the NewTextMorph instance after I set it's text, it fits OK.

I still have to try Bill's suggestion.

Thanks!
Carla

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes!

On Aug 9, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> Try NewTextMorph!
>
> t := NewTextMorph new.
>               borderWidth: 1;
>               borderColor: Color red;
>               color: Color white;
>               padding: 5 ;
>               readOnly: true;
>               autoFit: true ;
>               text: 'I present my text as read only ' asText ;
>               openInWorld.
>
> Fernando
> On Aug 7, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:
>
>> Hi again, everyone!
>>
>> I think this might be really really silly, but I couldn't find a way to show a TextMorph without the ability to edit it's text.
>> If I use a StringMorph to show a paragraph, it looks horrible, but if I use a TextMorph and click on it, a blue border appears and I'm able to edit the text, I don't want that to happen.
>>
>> Is there another morph for showing text that only shows text and nothing else? Or a property of TextMorph that I'm missing?
>>

>> Thanks!
>> Carla
>> <ATT00001..txt>

<ATT00001..txt>