TextMorphs support display of text with emphasis. They also support reasonable text-editing capabilities, as well as embedded HOT LINKS

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TextMorphs support display of text with emphasis. They also support reasonable text-editing capabilities, as well as embedded HOT LINKS

Squeak - Dev mailing list
Hi Folks,

I searched the web and wiki and did not find any examples of Hot Links or keyboard shortcuts.
Editor and its Sub Classes initializeFOOKeyBars does not show anything.

Any pointers?

Motivation:

For Doc, I want to code for links to stuff, similar to what you get in Emacs org-mode  https://orgmode.org/manual/Link-Format.html#Link-Format

In Emacs, to navigate to the link, I type Ctrl-o   to open it .

Now, the links do not have to be hypertext to the WWW, links to HelpBrowser on a topic would be useful.

I guess I could , upon completion of the search, return DoIts, but hot links bound to a key would fit the idiom better.

thank you for your time.

P.S. I am inferring that a typical Workspace encapsulates the TextMorph doo-hickey, if it is one of the other editor types, please let me know.

thx

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: TextMorphs support display of text with emphasis. They also support reasonable text-editing capabilities, as well as embedded HOT LINKS

Karl Ramberg
On windows you can mark text i pane and press alt + 6. Then you can change emphasis and link etc. It's a not much used feature so I would expect some bit rot.

Best,
Karl

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 2:26 PM gettimothy via Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Folks,

I searched the web and wiki and did not find any examples of Hot Links or keyboard shortcuts.

Any pointers?

Motivation:

For Doc, I want to code for links to stuff, similar to what you get in Emacs org-mode  https://orgmode.org/manual/Link-Format.html#Link-Format

Now, the links do not have to be hypertext to the WWW, links to HelpBrowser on a topic would be useful.

I guess I could , upon completion of the search, return DoIts, but hot links bound to a key would fit the idiom better.

thank you for your time.

P.S. I am inferring that a typical Workspace encapsulates the TextMorph doo-hickey, if it is one of the other editor types, please let me know.

thx

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: TextMorphs support display of text with emphasis. They also support reasonable text-editing capabilities, as well as embedded HOT LINKS

K K Subbu
In reply to this post by Squeak - Dev mailing list
On 22/05/20 5:55 pm, gettimothy via Squeak-dev wrote:
>
> In Emacs, to navigate to the link, I type Ctrl-o   to open it .

select text in any text pane and press ALT/CMD-6 to open attribute menu.
You can see such hotlinks in action if you look at Help->Core Packages.
Class names are linked to their definitions.

> Now, the links do not have to be hypertext to the WWW, links to
> HelpBrowser on a topic would be useful.

See TextAction class. Its subclasses are used for hotlinking. See
SmalltalkEditor>>handleEmphasisExtraWith: for an example of its use in
text editor.

HTH .. Subbu

Reply | Threaded
|

Perfect! 

Thank you.

Copy-n-paste to a Workspace and the Link functionality still works.

I will investigate and incorporate. 

Fun fact, Alt-6 in X-Windows WindoMaker switches to Virtual Desktop 6 (so fast, I thought Squeak exploded with the keybinding! (: ), so I cannot use those bindings for the attribute menu.

Actually, that would be a fun keybinding  #explode 

cheers and thanks again.

---- On Fri, 22 May 2020 10:47:48 -0400 K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote ----

>

text editor.

HTH .. Subbu

Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
Keybindings are a little cramped  (at least on windows).
Control+1 to 8 is docking bar menus.
Alt + numbers do different actions in text fields. Not sure where it is documented.
The alt + numbers items are not reachable with mouse (+ control keys) I think.

If you swap/ duplicate control and alt it gets really confusing, and maybe not working.

Best,
Karl

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 5:01 PM gettimothy via Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Perfect! 

Thank you.

Fun fact, Alt-6 in X-Windows WindoMaker switches to Virtual Desktop 6 (so fast, I thought Squeak exploded with the keybinding! (: ), so I cannot use those bindings for the attribute menu.

cheers and thanks again.

>

text editor.

HTH .. Subbu

Reply | Threaded
|

K K Subbu
On 22/05/20 9:05 pm, karl ramberg wrote:
> Alt + numbers do different actions in text fields. Not sure where it is
> documented.

Help->Keyboard Shortcuts :-).

Programming instructions in http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1844

Some important pages from Squeak Swiki are also available through Help.

HTH .. Subbu

Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Karl Ramberg
Thank you.

I disabled my WIndow Manager's key binding and the menu popped up.

It appears that binding to the comment of a class is broken as it brings me to a Class Browser.

But that is o.k. the important thing is that I can create hyperlinks.

Thank you all very much.

---- On Fri, 22 May 2020 11:35:46 -0400 karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Keybindings are a little cramped  (at least on windows).
Control+1 to 8 is docking bar menus.
Alt + numbers do different actions in text fields. Not sure where it is documented.
The alt + numbers items are not reachable with mouse (+ control keys) I think.

If you swap/ duplicate control and alt it gets really confusing, and maybe not working.

Best,
Karl

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 5:01 PM gettimothy via Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

Perfect! 

Thank you.

cheers and thanks again.

>

text editor.

HTH .. Subbu

Reply | Threaded
|

marcel.taeumel
In reply to this post by Karl Ramberg
Hi Karl!

Then you can change emphasis and link etc. It's a not much used feature so I would expect some bit rot.

It works fine. :-) I extensively use it when writing the release notes through the Help Browser.

Best,
Marcel

Am 22.05.2020 16:31:41 schrieb karl ramberg <[hidden email]>:

On windows you can mark text i pane and press alt + 6. Then you can change emphasis and link etc. It's a not much used feature so I would expect some bit rot.

Best,
Karl

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 2:26 PM gettimothy via Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Folks,

Any pointers?

Motivation:

thank you for your time.

thx

Reply | Threaded
|

I notice there is not Link to Help Browser in the Please choose:  box.

Where would I add this option?

thx

---- On Mon, 25 May 2020 05:05:17 -0400 Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Hi Karl!

Then you can change emphasis and link etc. It's a not much used feature so I would expect some bit rot.

It works fine. :-) I extensively use it when writing the release notes through the Help Browser.

Best,
Marcel

Best,
Karl

Hi Folks,

Any pointers?

Motivation:

thank you for your time.

thx

Reply | Threaded
|

marcel.taeumel
SmalltalkEditor >> #emphasisExtras
SmalltalkEditor >> #handleEmphasisExtra:with:

Or you choose "URL Link" and type: "code://MyClass openHelpBrowser"

Best,
Marcel

Am 25.05.2020 16:46:58 schrieb gettimothy <[hidden email]>:

thx

---- On Mon, 25 May 2020 05:05:17 -0400 Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Hi Karl!

Best,
Marcel

Best,
Karl

Hi Folks,

Any pointers?

Motivation:

thank you for your time.

thx

Reply | Threaded
|

marcel.taeumel

Am 26.05.2020 14:03:30 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:

SmalltalkEditor >> #emphasisExtras
SmalltalkEditor >> #handleEmphasisExtra:with:

Or you choose "URL Link" and type: "code://MyClass openHelpBrowser"

Best,
Marcel

Am 25.05.2020 16:46:58 schrieb gettimothy <[hidden email]>:

thx

Hi Karl!

Best,
Marcel

Best,
Karl

Hi Folks,

Any pointers?

Motivation:

thank you for your time.

thx

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 2020-05-26, at 5:04 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> <image.png>
I've never noticed that 'debug invocation' thing before. I *love* it. May the Great Chocolate Fairy reward the creator.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Strange OpCodes: XYZZY: Branch and Play Adventure

Reply | Threaded
|

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

I think Karl made an important observation here: You cannot invoke the #changeEmphasis: dialog via mouse. This is a bit pity because in general, Squeak emphasizes (that was flat) intuitive UIs whereas keyboard shortcuts cannot be learned without propaganda or reading the documentation. I think all functionality should be available via mouse, too.

How would you think about inserting a link to #changeEmphasis: into the TextMorph menu, just below (or above) "Set font..."?

Best,

Christoph

PS: Thanks, Tim, cacao is in the air :D

Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. Mai 2020 18:57:38
An: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Betreff: Re: [squeak-dev] TextMorphs support display of text with emphasis. They also support reasonable text-editing capabilities, as well as embedded HOT LINKS

>
> <image.png>
I've never noticed that 'debug invocation' thing before. I *love* it. May the Great Chocolate Fairy reward the creator.

tim
--

Carpe Squeak!
Reply | Threaded
|

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

please have a look at the attached changeset. As proposed earlier, it allows invoking the "change emphasis" dialog via a menu, without requiring the user to be aware of any magic shortcuts. Shortcuts are convenient, of course, but a menu item supports exploration for new users.

Please merge or discuss! :D

(PS: Am I the only one to find this connection between model and morph to be a bit smelling?)

Best,

Christoph

Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von Thiede, Christoph
Gesendet: Freitag, 5. Juni 2020 13:19:09
Betreff: Re: [squeak-dev] TextMorphs support display of text with emphasis. They also support reasonable text-editing capabilities, as well as embedded HOT LINKS

Hi all,

I think Karl made an important observation here: You cannot invoke the #changeEmphasis: dialog via mouse. This is a bit pity because in general, Squeak emphasizes (that was flat) intuitive UIs whereas keyboard shortcuts cannot be learned without propaganda or reading the documentation. I think all functionality should be available via mouse, too.

How would you think about inserting a link to #changeEmphasis: into the TextMorph menu, just below (or above) "Set font..."?

Best,

Christoph

PS: Thanks, Tim, cacao is in the air :D

Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. Mai 2020 18:57:38

>
> <image.png>

tim
--

changeEmphasisMenu.2.cs (2K) Download Attachment
Carpe Squeak!