TextPresenter with Label

Jerome Chan
Is there a way to make a new component that has a text presenter (with
the edit box that allows users to enter text) and a static text
presenter (for the label)?

I thought this would be one of the most commonly used interface widget!
:P

Re: TextPresenter with Label

Christopher J. Demers
"Jerome Chan" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Is there a way to make a new component that has a text presenter (with
> the edit box that allows users to enter text) and a static text
> presenter (for the label)?
>
> I thought this would be one of the most commonly used interface widget!

I remember this mentioned before.  Louis Sumberg did something,
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=label+textEdit&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=t7ibagoqbfiod6%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=1 .

This would be very useful.  I keep meaning to do something like this, but
have not gotten around to it.  I would be interested to hear if any one else
has approached this.

Chris

Re: TextPresenter with Label

Jerome Chan
In article <bekfa7$67938$[hidden email]>,
 "Christopher J. Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=label+textEdit&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&s
> elm=t7ibagoqbfiod6%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=1

The web site is no longer active!

Re: TextPresenter with Label

Bill Dargel
Jerome Chan wrote:

> In article <bekfa7$67938$[hidden email]>,
>  "Christopher J. Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=label+textEdit&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&s
> > elm=t7ibagoqbfiod6%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=1
>
> The web site is no longer active!

I noticed that recent posts to this newsgroup by Louis Sumberg use
mindspring.com. If you substitute /sirius/mindspring/ in the links given
in the above article, you can get to the current locations of the images
and code.

Bill Dargel            [hidden email]
Shoshana Technologies
100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA

Re: TextPresenter with Label

Jerome Chan
In article <[hidden email]>,
 Bill Dargel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jerome Chan wrote:
> >
> > In article <bekfa7$67938$[hidden email]>,
> >  "Christopher J. Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=label+textEdit&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF
> > > -8&s
> > > elm=t7ibagoqbfiod6%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=1
> >
> > The web site is no longer active!
>
> I noticed that recent posts to this newsgroup by Louis Sumberg use
> mindspring.com. If you substitute /sirius/mindspring/ in the links given
> in the above article, you can get to the current locations of the images
> and code.

> Bill Dargel            [hidden email]
> Shoshana Technologies
> 100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA

What would be NICER would be to have an ARRAY of such widgets. Under
Cocoa for Mac OS X, there is a widget which allows you to have such a
creature.

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/
ObjC_classic/Classes/NSForm.html>

I'd suggest something like the ListPresenter (Table) widget where
instead of adding columns you add rows of labels/text.

Re: TextPresenter with Label

Louis Sumberg-2
Bill, good eyes.  Sirius made their money and sold out to FirstWorld which
eventually went bellyup and was taken over by Earthlink (which had by then
acquired Mindspring).

> "Jerome Chan" wrote
> > Is there a way to make a new component that has a text presenter (with
> > the edit box that allows users to enter text) and a static text
> > presenter (for the label)?
> >
> > I thought this would be one of the most commonly used interface widget!

My thought too.  In fact I remember trying to implement this way back in the
Smalltalk/V days using WindowBuilder.

"Christopher J. Demers" wrote
> This would be very useful.  I keep meaning to do something like this, but
> have not gotten around to it.  I would be interested to hear if any one
else
> has approached this.

The short story is that I gave up on my implementation of LabeledWidgets.
As I recall, my original post elicited no response from the newsgroup, but I
went ahead and worked on it some more.  It worked pretty well, and I really
liked having just a single widget instead of a pair, expecially when moving
or resizing it, but there were two problems.  One was that I had to subclass
the various LayoutManagers and the other was that sometimes it wouldn't
repaint properly.  (I think I was relying on the TextEdit to issue
invalidate, so if part of the static text needed repainting, but not the
textedit itself, there was no repaint.)  Even then, I used it for
prototyping, but I recall that when a new version of Dolphin was released,
all of my apps' resources went down the tube.  At that point, I figured it
just wasn't worth it.

-- Louis