Textile instead of 'Pier Syntax'

Daniel P Zepeda
Hi Folks,

I was fairly excited to stumble across Pier as this is a system that I
was actually intending to write for a client. There are a ton of CMS's
out there, but none of them as far as I know allow one to edit in
place the entire system, other than say CMSbox, which is out of reach
where I live.

I envisioned a little more Ajax+Scriptaculous goodness in the update
process, and also a preview-accept transaction in the editing process.
Since I use Ruby on Rails in my day job, I was intending to use that
as well, since I know it well, and I'm only getting started using
Seaside for toy projects.

Pier seems to be pretty much what I need out of 'out of the box',
excepting the points I made above. However, I'm curious why 'Pier
Syntax' was developed instead of using an already popular markup like
Textile? Are there any plans to use other markups besides 'Pier
Syntax' ? I haven't looked at the code yet, but if there are no plans
for any other Markup, how hard do you think it would be to implement a
different markup besides Pier Syntax for a professional programmer
that knows some Smalltalk, say like, oh, I don't know, Textile? :)

Thanks!

DZ

Re: Textile instead of 'Pier Syntax'

Lukas Renggli
> Pier seems to be pretty much what I need out of 'out of the box', excepting the points I made above. However, I'm curious why 'Pier Syntax' was developed instead of using an already popular markup like Textile? Are there any plans to use other markups besides 'Pier Syntax' ? I haven't looked at the code yet, but if there are no plans for any other Markup, how hard do you think it would be to implement a different markup besides Pier Syntax for a professional programmer that knows some Smalltalk, say like, oh, I don't know, Textile? :)

The Pier Syntax dates back to SmallWiki (2002) and SWiki (even much
older). I don't think there was Textile at that time.

Pier theoretically supports different parsers. Currently you need to
patch 2 methods to make a different one work, not nice but that could
be improved. I have an working but unfinished parser for Creole lying
around already for years.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Textile instead of 'Pier Syntax'

Tudor Girba-3
Hi Daniel,

Welcome to Pier. Can I ask how did you hear of it?

Cheers,
Doru

On 26 Jul 2009, at 09:11, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Pier seems to be pretty much what I need out of 'out of the box',
>> excepting the points I made above. However, I'm curious why 'Pier
>> Syntax' was developed instead of using an already popular markup
>> like Textile? Are there any plans to use other markups besides
>> 'Pier Syntax' ? I haven't looked at the code yet, but if there are
>> no plans for any other Markup, how hard do you think it would be to
>> implement a different markup besides Pier Syntax for a professional
>> programmer that knows some Smalltalk, say like, oh, I don't know,
>> Textile? :)
>
> The Pier Syntax dates back to SmallWiki (2002) and SWiki (even much
> older). I don't think there was Textile at that time.
>
> Pier theoretically supports different parsers. Currently you need to
> patch 2 methods to make a different one work, not nice but that could
> be improved. I have an working but unfinished parser for Creole lying
> around already for years.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

www.tudorgirba.com

"Beauty is where we see it."

Re: Textile instead of 'Pier Syntax'

keith1y
Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Pier seems to be pretty much what I need out of 'out of the box', excepting the points I made above. However, I'm curious why 'Pier Syntax' was developed instead of using an already popular markup like Textile? Are there any plans to use other markups besides 'Pier Syntax' ? I haven't looked at the code yet, but if there are no plans for any other Markup, how hard do you think it would be to implement a different markup besides Pier Syntax for a professional programmer that knows some Smalltalk, say like, oh, I don't know, Textile? :)
>>

> The Pier Syntax dates back to SmallWiki (2002) and SWiki (even much
> older). I don't think there was Textile at that time.
>
> Pier theoretically supports different parsers. Currently you need to
> patch 2 methods to make a different one work, not nice but that could
> be improved. I have an working but unfinished parser for Creole lying
> around already for years.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

Is this the GSOC project which implemented creole?

Keith

On Jul 26, 2009, at 3:16 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Welcome to Pier.

Thank you!

> Can I ask how did you hear of it?

Hi, I believe I first "heard" about it on the "Weekly Squeak" I have
an on-again-off-again relationship with Squeak/Smalltalk. I've been
teaching my kids programming with Squeak for awhile now, and I've
known about Squeak/SmallTalk for, it seems like forever. I have this
weird situation where I'm familiar with some things in Squeak, but am
a rank newbie with other things.

DZ

On Jul 26, 2009, at 2:11 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Pier seems to be pretty much what I need out of 'out of the box',
>> excepting the points I made above. However, I'm curious why 'Pier
>> Syntax' was developed instead of using an already popular markup
>> like Textile? Are there any plans to use other markups besides
>> 'Pier Syntax' ? I haven't looked at the code yet, but if there are
>> no plans for any other Markup, how hard do you think it would be to
>> implement a different markup besides Pier Syntax for a professional
>> programmer that knows some Smalltalk, say like, oh, I don't know,
>> Textile? :)
>
> The Pier Syntax dates back to SmallWiki (2002) and SWiki (even much
> older). I don't think there was Textile at that time.

Ah, I see. I didn't know it was based on something much older. IIRC
Textile was around about 2002-2004, but probably not as popular as it
is now.

> Pier theoretically supports different parsers. Currently you need to
> patch 2 methods to make a different one work, not nice but that could
> be improved. I have an working but unfinished parser for Creole lying
> around already for years.

What I want is a CMS that uses in-place editing, but without using a
crappy WYSIWYG javascript editor, like TinyMCE or OpenWYSIWYG. Not to
insult those implementations, but I always seem to run into problems
using them, and so I prefer using a Wiki editing approach like using
Textile.

Pier is almost perfect, except that it uses Pier Syntax instead of
Textile. I personally don't have a problem with that, but using Pier
without a Textile parser means teaching my users yet another Markup.
Getting them to accept Textile was painful enough, I'd rather code a
Textile parser for Pier rather than teach them Pier Syntax :)

I'm not sure my Smalltalk skills are up to that task or not. I'm
certainly willing to try though.

DZ

> Cheers,
> Lukas