Thank you. Future commitment to HTML/CSS rendering? Lively + three.js??

Thank you. Future commitment to HTML/CSS rendering? Lively + three.js??

Jay Skeer

Dan Ingalls[hidden email], back in Jul 11, 2011, wrote:
We have refactored the rendering architecture so that it can equally
easily support not only SVG and Canvas, but also standard HTML and
CSS.

I've had fun playing around with the sneak peak at Lively 2.0.  Seems to work for me in Chrome.  I've enjoyed poking trough the code base, then went off and read the OMeta/JS paper.  A big thank you to all the folks that make it happen!

What prompted my revisiting lively was that I want to play with three.js, but I have no interest in messing with HTML/CSS ...  I *think* I can get the .external HTML shape rendering to put a canvas tag on the page, and then I *think* I can figure out how to get webgl drawing 3d in the 'viewport'.  *Then* I can connect sample webgl/three.js programs hooked up to some simple GUI written in Lively  (My very first experiment will be -- what do these camera controls do?).  Thats my rough plan.

So my question is: How committed to the HTML/CSS rendering is the project?  Can't have canvas open with both a 2d context and a 3d context (though if you've messed with the Secondlife client as much as I have it is an obvious usecase.)

Of the three options for rendering, which has the best performance currently: svg, canvas, html/css?

Jay

Re: Thank you. Future commitment to HTML/CSS rendering? Lively + three.js??

Lincke, Jens
Hi, Jay
Am 23.09.2011 um 08:24 schrieb Jay Skeer:

> So my question is: How committed to the HTML/CSS rendering is the project?  Can't have canvas open with both a 2d context and a 3d context (though if you've messed with the Secondlife client as much as I have it is an obvious usecase.)

In our HTML/CSS rendering we include SVG and canvases as well as needed, we also experimented with putting in 3D canvases, so this should be not problem.

> Of the three options for rendering, which has the best performance currently: svg, canvas, html/css?

We pretty much sticked with html/css, the architecture supports the other two approaches but we did not have the need  yet to implement them out.

Best,
Jens