Thanks to ESUG and their sponsors

Henrik Hoyer
Just my humble thoughts...

I watched the talks from Cincom and Instantiations , and was somewhat surprised of the very short time they were given. They are sponsors of the event, and should imho get more time to promote their offerings.

The talks from the vendors was biased towards existing customers, and I think that the vendors should be given a chance to promote the offerings; show their usp's, showcase their references, present licensing information, prices etc. etc.

Basically allow them to give the sales pitch, they would normally use to impress a prospect.
--
Henrik Høyer, sPeople ApS
Chief Software Architect

/Henrik Hoyer

Re: Thanks to ESUG and their sponsors

stephane ducasse-2
all the vendors were given the same amount of time. And there are a lot of talk about their platforms in the program.

Stef

On Sep 15, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Henrik Høyer wrote:

> Just my humble thoughts...
>
> I watched the talks from Cincom and Instantiations , and was somewhat surprised of the very short time they were given. They are sponsors of the event, and should imho get more time to promote their offerings.
>
> The talks from the vendors was biased towards existing customers, and I think that the vendors should be given a chance to promote the offerings; show their usp's, showcase their references, present licensing information, prices etc. etc.
>
> Basically allow them to give the sales pitch, they would normally use to impress a prospect.
> --
> Henrik Høyer, sPeople ApS
> Chief Software Architect
> (+45) 4029 2092

Re: Thanks to ESUG and their sponsors

jtuchel
Henrik,

from what I've heard in the coffee break (and I agree to that), most
people here in Barcelona thought this is enough. The idea (or at least
the ideaof the audience) was that each vendor can present some of their
hghlights to the wider Smalltalk communities, but not more than that.
The users of a certain dialect probably know most of that stuff already,
and the others just want to hear what's going on in the other dialects.

And, of course, you must keep in mind that we have lots of time for
talking between the talks, and the real fun is not in the talks but
between them. When you're not here, you miss a lot, even if you can see
the prsentations. Luckily, all the vendor representants here are open
minded, friendly and don't show a "them vs. us" attitude. You can see
people from Gemstone, Instantiations and Cincom standing together and
chatting, as well as Cincomers working on Smalltalk code in Pharo or VA
Smalltalk, in order to port some framework over or play with stuff. So
if you were here and wanted to learn morw about a specific feature, you
could always approach Arden, Dale or John and have a chat. Which is
what's happening.

While we're at it, let me phrase it in my words: ESUG is a conference,
not a tradeshow. I'd be p*d off if I had flown here, booked a hotel and
paid for long sales talks. I'd be happy to listen to long sales
presentations if this would make ESUG attendence free. But as long as I
pay for it: no commercial breaks, please ;-)

Just my thoughts

Joachim

Am 15.09.10 15:26, schrieb stephane ducasse:

> all the vendors were given the same amount of time. And there are a lot of talk about their platforms in the program.
>
> Stef
>
> On Sep 15, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Henrik Høyer wrote:
>
>> Just my humble thoughts...
>>
>> I watched the talks from Cincom and Instantiations , and was somewhat surprised of the very short time they were given. They are sponsors of the event, and should imho get more time to promote their offerings.
>>
>> The talks from the vendors was biased towards existing customers, and I think that the vendors should be given a chance to promote the offerings; show their usp's, showcase their references, present licensing information, prices etc. etc.
>>
>> Basically allow them to give the sales pitch, they would normally use to impress a prospect.
>> --
>> Henrik Høyer, sPeople ApS
>> Chief Software Architect
>> (+45) 4029 2092

Re: Thanks to ESUG and their sponsors

stephane ducasse-2
Thanks joachim this is great summary. We are in sync.

Stef

> Henrik,
>
> from what I've heard in the coffee break (and I agree to that), most people here in Barcelona thought this is enough. The idea (or at least the ideaof the audience) was that each vendor can present some of their hghlights to the wider Smalltalk communities, but not more than that. The users of a certain dialect probably know most of that stuff already, and the others just want to hear what's going on in the other dialects.
>
> And, of course, you must keep in mind that we have lots of time for talking between the talks, and the real fun is not in the talks but between them. When you're not here, you miss a lot, even if you can see the prsentations. Luckily, all the vendor representants here are open minded, friendly and don't show a "them vs. us" attitude. You can see people from Gemstone, Instantiations and Cincom standing together and chatting, as well as Cincomers working on Smalltalk code in Pharo or VA Smalltalk, in order to port some framework over or play with stuff. So if you were here and wanted to learn morw about a specific feature, you could always approach Arden, Dale or John and have a chat. Which is what's happening.
>
> While we're at it, let me phrase it in my words: ESUG is a conference, not a tradeshow. I'd be p*d off if I had flown here, booked a hotel and paid for long sales talks. I'd be happy to listen to long sales presentations if this would make ESUG attendence free. But as long as I pay for it: no commercial breaks, please ;-)
>
> Just my thoughts
>
> Joachim
>

> Am 15.09.10 15:26, schrieb stephane ducasse:
>> all the vendors were given the same amount of time. And there are a lot of talk about their platforms in the program.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Sep 15, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Henrik Høyer wrote:
>>
>>> Just my humble thoughts...
>>>
>>> I watched the talks from Cincom and Instantiations , and was somewhat surprised of the very short time they were given. They are sponsors of the event, and should imho get more time to promote their offerings.
>>>
>>> The talks from the vendors was biased towards existing customers, and I think that the vendors should be given a chance to promote the offerings; show their usp's, showcase their references, present licensing information, prices etc. etc.
>>>
>>> Basically allow them to give the sales pitch, they would normally use to impress a prospect.
>>> --
>>> Henrik Høyer, sPeople ApS
>>> Chief Software Architect
>>> (+45) 4029 2092

Re: Thanks to ESUG and their sponsors

Henrik Hoyer
I totally agree, ESUS is a *user group*, and the event should be held with that in mind!

And believe me, I know that not being there in person is a huge loss. Though watching the presentations from a distance does make a lot of sense for me, and I have recommended them to my network, *including* non Smalltalkers.

--
Henrik Høyer, sPeople ApS
Chief Software Architect
from what I've heard in the coffee break (and I agree to that), most people here in Barcelona thought this is enough. The idea (or at least the ideaof the audience) was that each vendor can present some of their hghlights to the wider Smalltalk communities, but not more than that.
The users of a certain dialect probably know most of that stuff already, and the others just want to hear what's going on in the other dialects.

And, of course, you must keep in mind that we have lots of time for talking between the talks, and the real fun is not in the talks but between them. When you're not here, you miss a lot, even if you can see the prsentations. Luckily, all the vendor representants here are open minded, friendly and don't show a "them vs. us" attitude. You can see people from Gemstone, Instantiations and Cincom standing together and chatting, as well as Cincomers working on Smalltalk code in Pharo or VA Smalltalk, in order to port some framework over or play with stuff. So if you were here and wanted to learn morw about a specific feature, you could always approach Arden, Dale or John and have a chat. Which is what's happening.

While we're at it, let me phrase it in my words: ESUG is a conference, not a tradeshow. I'd be p*d off if I had flown here, booked a hotel and paid for long sales talks. I'd be happy to listen to long sales presentations if this would make ESUG attendence free. But as long as I pay for it: no commercial breaks, please ;-)

Just my thoughts

Joachim

Am 15.09.10 15:26, schrieb stephane ducasse:

> all the vendors were given the same amount of time. And there are a lot of talk about their platforms in the program.
>
> Stef
>
> On Sep 15, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Henrik Høyer wrote:
>
>> Just my humble thoughts...
>>
>> I watched the talks from Cincom and Instantiations , and was somewhat surprised of the very short time they were given. They are sponsors of the event, and should imho get more time to promote their offerings.
>>
>> The talks from the vendors was biased towards existing customers, and I think that the vendors should be given a chance to promote the offerings; show their usp's, showcase their references, present licensing information, prices etc. etc.
>>
>> Basically allow them to give the sales pitch, they would normally use to impress a prospect.
>> --
>> Henrik Høyer, sPeople ApS
>> Chief Software Architect
>> (+45) 4029 2092

/Henrik Hoyer

Re: Thanks to ESUG and their sponsors

John O'Keefe
I, for one, was happy with our 30 minutes since it was not on the usual Friday morning :-)

But more seriously, I will just echo Joachim's email (since we talked about this subject for a length of time before he sent it, I saw no surprises there).  30 minutes is sufficient to give an overview of product status.  If there is something of particular interest (and more depth) that a vendor has to say, they can submit other presentation proposals on those specific topics.

John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
Skype: john_okeefe2     Mobile:  +1 919 417-3181 (Business hours USA Eastern Time zone (GMT -5))
[hidden email]
http://st.instantiations.com
VA Smalltalk...Onward and Upward!

On Sep 16, 2010, at 10:44 PM, John O'Keefe wrote:

> I, for one, was happy with our 30 minutes since it was not on the usual Friday morning :-)

;)
Thanks john for this mail :)
I have so many constraints, you see I put a really excellent talk instead. :)
Imagine friday morning at 9h after the rain. Lukas survived to it.

>  But more seriously, I will just echo Joachim's email (since we talked about this subject for a length of time before he sent it, I saw no surprises there).  30 minutes is sufficient to give an overview of product status.  If there is something of particular interest (and more depth) that a vendor has to say, they can submit other presentation proposals on those specific topics.

Tx john.
People should remember that this is their conference, we try to get stuff happening but at the end the
submissions are important.

For the tech awards for example you can only vote for what the people propose.