The Hyper HTTP server

Bruce Badger-3
Hi all,

At StS and elsewhere I have been talking about the various OpenSkills
systems and about the Sport portability layer.  When asked what HTTP
server we use I've been saying it's a version of the Swazoo HTTP server.
Of course, these people then assume that we are using the HTTP server
which is in the released version of Swazoo ...

... but we're not.  The version we use is, of course, based on what was
the current version three years ago but which has never been folded back
into the "official" Swazoo.  So people have been confused, and I have to
keep explaining the difference as well at trying to get our HTTP work
into the main line Swazoo, which is just not happening.

So, I've given our version of the Swazoo HTTP server a distinct name:

        Hyper

This will avoid confusion about which HTTP server is the one OpenSkills
uses, and which HTTP server is designed to work with Sport and so can
run unchanged on several Smalltalk dialects.  It's all Hyper.  Easy.

I've published Hyper to the Cincom public repository and have
incorporated it into the OpenSkills SkillsBase system already.  It works
nicely.  I have also published a version of Swazoo to the Cincom
repository that uses Hyper as the HTTP server - all the tests pass, it
should be good to use.

I'd like to suggest to this list that Hyper be adopted as the HTTP
server for Swazoo from here on.  This is the same suggestion I've made
over the last few years, it's just that Hyper has a name now.

BTW, the clarity in the naming has already resulted in a couple of
"Oooooh"'s from people as the finally see what we are using.  Needless
to say I've got a couple of wish lists too :-)

Anyway, please say hi to Hyper.

All the best,
        Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: The Hyper HTTP server

Janko Mivšek
Bruce,

> The version we use is, of course, based on what was
> the current version three years ago but which has never been folded
> back into the "official" Swazoo.

As you definitively know, there is merged Swazoo with your branch,
(Swazoo(1.1.2,mivsek) in Cincom public repository) and even using your
SPort portability layer!

Therefore I really don't understand that your statement!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko

Re: The Hyper HTTP server

Bruce Badger-3
On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 10:11 +0200, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> > The version we use is, of course, based on what was
> > the current version three years ago but which has never been folded
> > back into the "official" Swazoo.
>
> As you definitively know, there is merged Swazoo with your branch,
> (Swazoo(1.1.2,mivsek) in Cincom public repository) and even using your
> SPort portability layer!
>
> Therefore I really don't understand that your statement!
A matter of days ago I asked if you what the status was, and you said
you had not had the time to finish the work.  Thus it was (is) still in
limbo.

I did explain to you what I was going to do, and now I have done that.

I think the situation is clearer now, and nothing is lost.  So we are in
the same situation as before, but with a distinct name for the work
OpenSkills has done.  If you want to merge that in - fine.  If not ...
well that's your call as it has been for the last few years.

Best regards,
        Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: The Hyper HTTP server

Janko Mivšek
Bruce Badger wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 10:11 +0200, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>> Bruce,
>>
>>> The version we use is, of course, based on what was
>>> the current version three years ago but which has never been folded
>>> back into the "official" Swazoo.
>> As you definitively know, there is merged Swazoo with your branch,
>> (Swazoo(1.1.2,mivsek) in Cincom public repository) and even using your
>> SPort portability layer!
>>
>> Therefore I really don't understand that your statement!
>
> A matter of days ago I asked if you what the status was, and you said
> you had not had the time to finish the work.  Thus it was (is) still in
> limbo.

As I said work done so far is already public and you could continue it
without a problem by yourself. As I also said to you is that there was a
problem in external streams and I didn't have a time to investigate that.

> I did explain to you what I was going to do, and now I have done that.
>
> I think the situation is clearer now, and nothing is lost.  So we are in
> the same situation as before, but with a distinct name for the work
> OpenSkills has done.  If you want to merge that in - fine.  If not ...
> well that's your call as it has been for the last few years.

No, situation is much worse, because you made a split in smalltalk web
server area and all efforts to have an unified web server for all
dialects is now in question.

JAnko

Re: The Hyper HTTP server

Bruce Badger-3
On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 10:51 +0200, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> > A matter of days ago I asked if you what the status was, and you said
> > you had not had the time to finish the work.  Thus it was (is) still in
> > limbo.
>
> As I said work done so far is already public and you could continue it
> without a problem by yourself. As I also said to you is that there was a
> problem in external streams and I didn't have a time to investigate that.

To me this seems like picking up another part-work and expending effort
on making it work for us.  We did that already when we picked up the
Swazoo HTTP server in the first place.  What happened is that our work
never got folded in despite the fact that we always discussed things on
this list *before* making changes and always published our work to the
public store.

Picking up another part-work is a non-started from our POV given our
previous experience.

What version of Swazoo are you porting to Dolphin, BTW?  Not the one
with out work in it, and that would be another bunch of people who would
think they are using the same HTTP server as us ... but they are not.

Anyway, the new name does not change anything other than make it clear
what we are using ... and that has already proved useful as I've said.
And I've not even announce Hyper yet to a wider audience yet!  (That
will happen this weekend).

Hyper is there for you to use.  Please feel free.  Also note that I have
published a version of Swazoo to Store that uses Hyper and all the tests
pass.

> No, situation is much worse, because you made a split in smalltalk web
> server area and all efforts to have an unified web server for all
> dialects is now in question.

Feel free to use Hyper, Janko.

All the best,
        Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: Merged Swazoo

Janko Mivšek
Bruce,

Because I did a merge with your branch which also use your SPort
portability layer, I just cannot understand your stance.

Anyway, any renaming of Swazoo is out of question. You are inviting to
contribute to Swazoo as before but if you insisting to split and even
renamed fork, then go. Swazoo will stay Swazoo.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko

Re: Swazoo on Dolphin

Janko Mivšek
> e.g. what are you porting to Dolphin?

I am porting Aida/Web, not Swazoo on Dolphin! Swazoo 1.0 was already
ported by Sean Malloy and I just corrected some bugs. He ported it
before Swazoo 1.1 (towards 2.0) with SPort layer was introduced.

Just for clarification

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko

Re: Merged Swazoo

Bruce Badger-3
Janko,

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 08:27 +0200, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Anyway, any renaming of Swazoo is out of question. You are inviting to
> contribute to Swazoo as before but if you insisting to split and even
> renamed fork, then go. Swazoo will stay Swazoo.

I'm sorry, Janko.  I didn't mean to suggest that Swazoo be renamed.  I
just suggested that one option was to use Hyper as the HTTP handling
part of Swazoo.  Swazoo is a "Web Appication Zoo", Hyper is merely the
code to parse and render HTTP streams.

As Swazoo project leader this is your call, of course.

Best regards,
        Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: Merged Swazoo

Janko Mivšek
Bruce,

Bruce Badger wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 08:27 +0200, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>
>> Anyway, any renaming of Swazoo is out of question. You are inviting to
>> contribute to Swazoo as before but if you insisting to split and even
>> renamed fork, then go. Swazoo will stay Swazoo.
>
> I'm sorry, Janko.  I didn't mean to suggest that Swazoo be renamed.  I
> just suggested that one option was to use Hyper as the HTTP handling
> part of Swazoo.  Swazoo is a "Web Appication Zoo", Hyper is merely the
> code to parse and render HTTP streams.

HTTP is essential part of Swazoo and also most needed part on all
Smalltalk dialects. Your proposal is therefore hard to be understood.

Not to mention that Hyper is essentially the same as Swazoo 1.1.1, a
merged version in public repository, except that you didn't merge
anything from main branch while I did merge almost all from your branch!

> As Swazoo project leader this is your call, of course.

Swazoo will stay Swazoo from basic HTTP on.

Best regards
Janko