The Inbox: Installer-Core-jr.430.mcz

commits-2
A new version of Installer-Core was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Installer-Core-jr.430.mcz

Name: Installer-Core-jr.430
Author: jr
Time: 9 April 2019, 1:06:26.253095 am
UUID: 1c79ced1-26dd-904c-93d7-98e8c753126e
Ancestors: Installer-Core-cmm.429

Add method to both install and open the Git Browser

Also remove send of ensureLatestMetacello since Metacello will be loaded if required anyway.

=============== Diff against Installer-Core-cmm.429 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Installer class>>installAndOpenGitBrowser (in category 'scripts') -----
+ installAndOpenGitBrowser
+ self installGitInfrastructure.
+ (Smalltalk at: #SquitBrowser) open.!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Installer class>>installGitInfrastructure (in category 'scripts') -----
  installGitInfrastructure
-
- self ensureRecentMetacello.
-
  (Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
   baseline: 'Squot';
   repository: 'github://hpi-swa/Squot:master/src';
   load.!

Re: The Inbox: Installer-Core-jr.430.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Ah, okay.  I thought messages were sent to the class side, I will move
it to the #doesNotUnderstand: to the instance side.

When we fix the Tools menu, should we make it say, "Squot Browser"?

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 6:06 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A new version of Installer-Core was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Installer-Core-jr.430.mcz

> Name: Installer-Core-jr.430
> Author: jr
> Time: 9 April 2019, 1:06:26.253095 am
> UUID: 1c79ced1-26dd-904c-93d7-98e8c753126e
> Ancestors: Installer-Core-cmm.429
>
> Add method to both install and open the Git Browser
>
> Also remove send of ensureLatestMetacello since Metacello will be loaded if required anyway.
>
> =============== Diff against Installer-Core-cmm.429 ===============
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: Installer class>>installAndOpenGitBrowser (in category 'scripts') -----
> + installAndOpenGitBrowser
> +       self installGitInfrastructure.
> +       (Smalltalk at: #SquitBrowser) open.!
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: Installer class>>installGitInfrastructure (in category 'scripts') -----
>   installGitInfrastructure
> -
> -       self ensureRecentMetacello.
> -
>         (Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
>                   baseline: 'Squot';
>                   repository: 'github://hpi-swa/Squot:master/src';
>                   load.!

Re: The Inbox: Installer-Core-jr.430.mcz

Jakob Reschke
Am Do., 11. Apr. 2019 um 02:07 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
Ah, okay.  I thought messages were sent to the class side, I will move
it to the #doesNotUnderstand: to the instance side.

When we fix the Tools menu, should we make it say, "Squot Browser"?

Well, two years ago Fabio and I agreed to call the thing Git Browser because Git is something the students recognize, while Squot is not. Moreover, the action labels in the Git browser use Git vocabulary, while the Squot protocols use one that is more like ENVY's and Monticello's (e. g., checkout vs. load, commit vs. save, commits vs. versions). The Squit package is the glue between Squot and FileSystem-Git, and the browser is in the Squit package at this time. That's why the class is called SquitBrowser, even though its label says something different.

So I think it is better to stick with the name Git Browser. Since there is no other such tool in Squeak at this time, it is not ambiguous.

Re: The Inbox: Installer-Core-jr.430.mcz

Tobias Pape

> On 11.04.2019, at 07:24, Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am Do., 11. Apr. 2019 um 02:07 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
> Ah, okay.  I thought messages were sent to the class side, I will move
> it to the #doesNotUnderstand: to the instance side.
>
> When we fix the Tools menu, should we make it say, "Squot Browser"?
>
> Well, two years ago Fabio and I agreed to call the thing Git Browser because Git is something the students recognize, while Squot is not. Moreover, the action labels in the Git browser use Git vocabulary, while the Squot protocols use one that is more like ENVY's and Monticello's (e. g., checkout vs. load, commit vs. save, commits vs. versions). The Squit package is the glue between Squot and FileSystem-Git, and the browser is in the Squit package at this time. That's why the class is called SquitBrowser, even though its label says something different.
>
> So I think it is better to stick with the name Git Browser. Since there is no other such tool in Squeak at this time, it is not ambiguous.

+1
-t