The Inbox: Monticello-fbs.467.mcz

commits-2
A new version of Monticello was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Monticello-fbs.467.mcz

Name: Monticello-fbs.467
Author: fbs
Time: 9 June 2011, 12:39:41.446 pm
UUID: b33cab1b-85b8-47a9-84eb-079a9778aaee
Ancestors: Monticello-ul.466

Better error messages for off-line work:
* If you can't find a base "full version", say so
* If you Give Up on trying to resolve a name, report the actual failure rather than trying to access a socket anyway, and throwing a primitive failed error.

=============== Diff against Monticello-ul.466 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MCDiffyVersion>>baseSnapshot (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
  baseSnapshot
+ | baseRepo |
+ baseRepo := self workingCopy repositoryGroup versionWithInfo: base.
+ baseRepo ifNil: [Error signal: 'Missing snapshot: ', self baseInfo name].
+ ^ baseRepo snapshot!
- ^ (self workingCopy repositoryGroup versionWithInfo: base) snapshot!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MCHttpRepository>>allFileNames (in category 'required') -----
  allFileNames
+ [self displayProgress: 'Updating ', self description during:[
- self displayProgress: 'Updating ', self description during:[
  index := HTTPSocket httpGet: self locationWithTrailingSlash, '?C=M;O=D' args: nil user: self user passwd: self password.
+ ]] on: NetworkError do: [ :e | self error: 'Could not access ', location, '(', e className, ')'].
- ].
  index isString ifTrue: [self error: 'Could not access ', location].
  ^ self parseFileNamesFromStream: index !

Re: The Inbox: Monticello-fbs.467.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
On 9 June 2011 12:39,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A new version of Monticello was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Monticello-fbs.467.mcz

> Name: Monticello-fbs.467
> Author: fbs
> Time: 9 June 2011, 12:39:41.446 pm
> UUID: b33cab1b-85b8-47a9-84eb-079a9778aaee
> Ancestors: Monticello-ul.466
>
> Better error messages for off-line work:
> * If you can't find a base "full version", say so
> * If you Give Up on trying to resolve a name, report the actual failure rather than trying to access a socket anyway, and throwing a primitive failed error.
>
> =============== Diff against Monticello-ul.466 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>  ----- Method: MCDiffyVersion>>baseSnapshot (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
>  baseSnapshot
> +       | baseRepo |
> +       baseRepo := self workingCopy repositoryGroup versionWithInfo: base.
> +       baseRepo ifNil: [Error signal: 'Missing snapshot: ', self baseInfo name].
> +       ^ baseRepo snapshot!
> -       ^ (self workingCopy repositoryGroup versionWithInfo: base) snapshot!
>
> Item was changed:
>  ----- Method: MCHttpRepository>>allFileNames (in category 'required') -----
>  allFileNames
> +       [self displayProgress: 'Updating ', self description during:[
> -       self displayProgress: 'Updating ', self description during:[
>                index := HTTPSocket httpGet: self locationWithTrailingSlash, '?C=M;O=D' args: nil user: self user passwd: self password.
> +       ]] on: NetworkError do: [ :e | self error: 'Could not access ', location, '(', e className, ')'].
> -       ].
>        index isString ifTrue: [self error: 'Could not access ', location].
>        ^ self parseFileNamesFromStream: index  !

To demonstrate the 'can't find version' issue, try do-it on this:

    Installer ss
        project: 'Zippers';
        install: 'Zippers-fbs.999'.

To demonstrate the network failure error, try do-it on the above with
your network cable unplugged!

frank

Re: The Inbox: Monticello-fbs.467.mcz

Bert Freudenberg

On 09.06.2011, at 11:39, [hidden email] wrote:

> A new version of Monticello was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Monticello-fbs.467.mcz

> Name: Monticello-fbs.467
> Author: fbs
> Time: 9 June 2011, 12:39:41.446 pm
> UUID: b33cab1b-85b8-47a9-84eb-079a9778aaee
> Ancestors: Monticello-ul.466
>
> Better error messages for off-line work:
> * If you can't find a base "full version", say so
> * If you Give Up on trying to resolve a name, report the actual failure rather than trying to access a socket anyway, and throwing a primitive failed error.
>
> =============== Diff against Monticello-ul.466 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>  ----- Method: MCDiffyVersion>>baseSnapshot (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
>  baseSnapshot
> + | baseRepo |
> + baseRepo := self workingCopy repositoryGroup versionWithInfo: base.
> + baseRepo ifNil: [Error signal: 'Missing snapshot: ', self baseInfo name].
> + ^ baseRepo snapshot!
> - ^ (self workingCopy repositoryGroup versionWithInfo: base) snapshot!

"baseRepo" is misleading, this temp should be named "baseVersion". Perhaps even make a method "baseVersion" and use it here?

> Item was changed:
>  ----- Method: MCHttpRepository>>allFileNames (in category 'required') -----
>  allFileNames
> + [self displayProgress: 'Updating ', self description during:[
> - self displayProgress: 'Updating ', self description during:[
>   index := HTTPSocket httpGet: self locationWithTrailingSlash, '?C=M;O=D' args: nil user: self user passwd: self password.
> + ]] on: NetworkError do: [ :e | self error: 'Could not access ', location, '(', e className, ')'].
> - ].
>   index isString ifTrue: [self error: 'Could not access ', location].
>   ^ self parseFileNamesFromStream: index !

- Bert -

On 9 June 2011 17:37, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09.06.2011, at 11:39, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> A new version of Monticello was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Monticello-fbs.467.mcz

>> Name: Monticello-fbs.467
>> Author: fbs
>> Time: 9 June 2011, 12:39:41.446 pm
>> UUID: b33cab1b-85b8-47a9-84eb-079a9778aaee
>> Ancestors: Monticello-ul.466
>>
>> Better error messages for off-line work:
>> * If you can't find a base "full version", say so
>> * If you Give Up on trying to resolve a name, report the actual failure rather than trying to access a socket anyway, and throwing a primitive failed error.
>>
>> =============== Diff against Monticello-ul.466 ===============
>>
>> Item was changed:
>>  ----- Method: MCDiffyVersion>>baseSnapshot (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
>>  baseSnapshot
>> +     | baseRepo |
>> +     baseRepo := self workingCopy repositoryGroup versionWithInfo: base.
>> +     baseRepo ifNil: [Error signal: 'Missing snapshot: ', self baseInfo name].
>> +     ^ baseRepo snapshot!
>> -     ^ (self workingCopy repositoryGroup versionWithInfo: base) snapshot!
>
> "baseRepo" is misleading, this temp should be named "baseVersion". Perhaps even make a method "baseVersion" and use it here?

Agreed. I went with the smaller change, and just renamed the temp.

frank