The Inbox: Morphic-kfr.1064.mcz

commits-2
A new version of Morphic was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Morphic-kfr.1064.mcz

Name: Morphic-kfr.1064
Author: kfr
Time: 6 January 2016, 6:38:01.020914 pm
UUID: b190605b-c0ac-4b6d-8239-650c69aed317
Ancestors: Morphic-eem.1063

Add preference backgroundColor to SystemWindows. Add preference to a a few places that where hardcoded to color white.

=============== Diff against Morphic-eem.1063 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: PluggableListMorph>>indicateUnfiltered (in category 'filtering') -----
  indicateUnfiltered
+ self color: SystemWindow backgroundColor!
- self color: Color white!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: ScrollPane>>defaultColor (in category 'initialization') -----
  defaultColor

+ ^ SystemWindow backgroundColor!
- ^ Color white !

Item was changed:
  MorphicModel subclass: #SystemWindow
  instanceVariableNames: 'labelString stripes label closeBox collapseBox activeOnlyOnTop paneMorphs paneRects collapsedFrame fullFrame isCollapsed menuBox mustNotClose labelWidgetAllowance updatablePanes allowReframeHandles labelArea expandBox'
+ classVariableNames: 'BackgroundColor ClickOnLabelToEdit CloseBoxFrame CloseBoxImageFlat CloseBoxImageGradient CollapseBoxImageFlat CollapseBoxImageGradient DoubleClickOnLabelToExpand ExpandBoxFrame ExpandBoxImageFlat ExpandBoxImageGradient FocusFollowsMouse GradientWindow HideExpandButton MenuBoxFrame MenuBoxImageFlat MenuBoxImageGradient ResizeAlongEdges ReuseWindows TopWindow WindowsRaiseOnClick'
- classVariableNames: 'ClickOnLabelToEdit CloseBoxFrame CloseBoxImageFlat CloseBoxImageGradient CollapseBoxImageFlat CollapseBoxImageGradient DoubleClickOnLabelToExpand ExpandBoxFrame ExpandBoxImageFlat ExpandBoxImageGradient FocusFollowsMouse GradientWindow HideExpandButton MenuBoxFrame MenuBoxImageFlat MenuBoxImageGradient ResizeAlongEdges ReuseWindows TopWindow WindowsRaiseOnClick'
  poolDictionaries: ''
  category: 'Morphic-Windows'!

  !SystemWindow commentStamp: '<historical>' prior: 0!
  SystemWindow is the Morphic equivalent of StandardSystemView -- a labelled container for rectangular views, with iconic facilities for close, collapse/expand, and resizing.

  The attribute onlyActiveOnTop, if set to true (and any call to activate will set this), determines that only the top member of a collection of such windows on the screen shall be active.  To be not active means that a mouse click in any region will only result in bringing the window to the top and then making it active.!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SystemWindow class>>backgroundColor (in category 'preferences') -----
+ backgroundColor
+
+ <preference: 'backgroundColor'
+ category: 'windows'
+ type: #Color>
+ ^ BackgroundColor ifNil: [Color white]
+ !

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SystemWindow class>>backgroundColor: (in category 'preferences') -----
+ backgroundColor: aColor
+
+ BackgroundColor := aColor
+ !

Re: The Inbox: Morphic-kfr.1064.mcz

Karl Ramberg
Why is this method send all the time ?
Do we need to filter all lists in all browsers all the time?

PluggableListMorph>>indicateUnfiltered (in category 'filtering') ----indicateUnfiltered
     self color: Color white!

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 6:38 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
A new version of Morphic was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Morphic-kfr.1064.mcz

Name: Morphic-kfr.1064

Re: The Inbox: Morphic-kfr.1064.mcz

Chris Muller-3
I'm not sure what you mean by "all the time"..?  You seem to be saying
its sent when it doesn't need to be.  When is that?

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:40 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> labelled container for rectangular views, with iconic facilities for close,
>> collapse/expand, and resizing.
>>
>>   The attribute onlyActiveOnTop, if set to true (and any call to activate
>> will set this), determines that only the top member of a collection of such
>> windows on the screen shall be active.  To be not active means that a mouse
>> click in any region will only result in bringing the window to the top and
>> then making it active.!
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: SystemWindow class>>backgroundColor (in category
>> 'preferences') -----
>> + backgroundColor
>> +
>> +       <preference: 'backgroundColor'
>> +               category: 'windows'
>> +               type: #Color>
>> +       ^ BackgroundColor ifNil: [Color white]

If you try changing Color white to something else, you will see it changes in all lists in all browsers. Some update process is running on all lists in the background.

Best,
Karl

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> labelled container for rectangular views, with iconic facilities for close,
>> collapse/expand, and resizing.
>>
>>   The attribute onlyActiveOnTop, if set to true (and any call to activate
>> will set this), determines that only the top member of a collection of such
>> windows on the screen shall be active.  To be not active means that a mouse
>> click in any region will only result in bringing the window to the top and
>> then making it active.!
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: SystemWindow class>>backgroundColor (in category
>> 'preferences') -----
>> + backgroundColor
>> +
>> +       <preference: 'backgroundColor'
>> +               category: 'windows'
>> +               type: #Color>
>> +       ^ BackgroundColor ifNil: [Color white]

Just add "thisContext longStack" to a global Set at the top of the
method.  I did that it found about 13 unique paths to that method,
they all looked valid.

>From what I remember doing that Invertebrite package, there were a LOT
of different places that needed to be tweaked to access some
preferred: color instead of a hard-coded color.  For example, after
thinking I had successful white-on-black everywhere, then there were
the "Ok" and "Cancel" buttons of UI Dialog, black-on-black.  New cases
kept popping up even months later.  It ended up being a lot of
different preferences all scattered about.

Colors have to coordinate with other colors (adjacent), so we have
reason to recognize some kind of "coordinated set of colors" object
for this purpose.  I suggest a first-class ColorScheme object simply
held by Preferences for now, which wraps a Dictionary, so it can grow
organically to include colors of new widgets as we discover them.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you try changing Color white to something else, you will see it changes
> in all lists in all browsers. Some update process is running on all lists in
> the background.
>
> Best,
> Karl
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "all the time"..?  You seem to be saying
>> its sent when it doesn't need to be.  When is that?
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:40 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Why is this method send all the time ?
>> > Do we need to filter all lists in all browsers all the time?
>> >
>> > PluggableListMorph>>indicateUnfiltered (in category 'filtering')
>> > ----indicateUnfiltered
>> >      self color: Color white!

Re: The Inbox: Morphic-kfr.1064.mcz

Chris Muller-3
So for example for this one, instead of introducing a new class var
and preference on SystemWindow, just have the class-side method on
SystemWindow do this:

SystemWindow class>>#preferredBackgroundColor
       ^ Preferences colorScheme
             colorFor: {SystemWindow. #preferredBackgroundColor}
             ifNone: [ Color white]

ColorScheme colorFor: would just look up that tuple in its internal
Dictionary.  Now, entire color-coordinated ColorSchemes can be
independent of larger Themes (which include the colorScheme as well as
other non-color related preferences too).

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 8:29 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just add "thisContext longStack" to a global Set at the top of the
> method.  I did that it found about 13 unique paths to that method,
> they all looked valid.
>
> From what I remember doing that Invertebrite package, there were a LOT
> of different places that needed to be tweaked to access some
> preferred: color instead of a hard-coded color.  For example, after
> thinking I had successful white-on-black everywhere, then there were
> the "Ok" and "Cancel" buttons of UI Dialog, black-on-black.  New cases
> kept popping up even months later.  It ended up being a lot of
> different preferences all scattered about.
>
> Colors have to coordinate with other colors (adjacent), so we have
> reason to recognize some kind of "coordinated set of colors" object
> for this purpose.  I suggest a first-class ColorScheme object simply
> held by Preferences for now, which wraps a Dictionary, so it can grow
> organically to include colors of new widgets as we discover them.
>

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you try changing Color white to something else, you will see it changes
>> in all lists in all browsers. Some update process is running on all lists in
>> the background.
>>
>> Best,
>> Karl
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what you mean by "all the time"..?  You seem to be saying
>>> its sent when it doesn't need to be.  When is that?

Re: The Inbox: Morphic-kfr.1064.mcz

marcel.taeumel
ScrollPanes should not have any knowlegde about SystemWindow. So storing the preference in SystemWindow >> #backgroundColor is not an option.

It would make sense, however, to attach individual preference to those major widgets. So that ScrollPane has its own #backgroundColor.

Best,
Marcel