The Inbox: PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99.mcz

commits-2
David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of PreferenceBrowser to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99.mcz

Name: PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99
Author: dtl
Time: 15 February 2020, 7:34:58.758991 pm
UUID: 88d9fcd6-debc-4796-9a31-f582b4b8d64a
Ancestors: PreferenceBrowser-mt.98

Update PreferenceWizardMorph>>installOSProcess to install OSProcess and CommandShell. Requires MonticelloConfigurations-dtl.158. Metacello is not required, just load the latest versions developed in and for Squeak.

=============== Diff against PreferenceBrowser-mt.98 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: PreferenceWizardMorph>>installOSProcess (in category 'actions - packages') -----
  installOSProcess
+ MCMcmUpdater
+ updateFromRepository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/OSProcess'
+ baseName: 'update'
+ interactive: false.
+ MCMcmUpdater
+ updateFromRepository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/CommandShell'
+ baseName: 'update'
+ interactive: false
+ !
-
- Metacello new
- configuration: 'OSProcess';
- load.!

Re: The Inbox: PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99.mcz

David T. Lewis
I just noticed that the preference wizard for setting up Squeak 5.3
invites the user to install a Metacello configuration that was intended
to accommodate some earlier Pharo version, which naturally is obsolete
anyhow. I'd like to fix this for the Squeak release.

I know it's late for me to be noticing this, but does anyone mind if
I move MonticelloConfigurations-dtl.158 and PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99
to trunk so that it will be fixed for the release?

Dave

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 12:34:59AM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of PreferenceBrowser to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99.mcz

> Name: PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99
> Author: dtl
> Time: 15 February 2020, 7:34:58.758991 pm
> UUID: 88d9fcd6-debc-4796-9a31-f582b4b8d64a
> Ancestors: PreferenceBrowser-mt.98
>
> Update PreferenceWizardMorph>>installOSProcess to install OSProcess and CommandShell. Requires MonticelloConfigurations-dtl.158. Metacello is not required, just load the latest versions developed in and for Squeak.
>
> =============== Diff against PreferenceBrowser-mt.98 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: PreferenceWizardMorph>>installOSProcess (in category 'actions - packages') -----
>   installOSProcess
> + MCMcmUpdater
> + updateFromRepository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/OSProcess'
> + baseName: 'update'
> + interactive: false.
> + MCMcmUpdater
> + updateFromRepository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/CommandShell'
> + baseName: 'update'
> + interactive: false
> + !
> -
> - Metacello new
> - configuration: 'OSProcess';
> - load.!

Re: The Inbox: PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99.mcz

timrowledge

> On 2020-02-15, at 5:09 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just noticed that the preference wizard for setting up Squeak 5.3
> invites the user to install a Metacello configuration that was intended
> to accommodate some earlier Pharo version, which naturally is obsolete
> anyhow. I'd like to fix this for the Squeak release.

Definitely fix it. Bugs is what we crush at this stage.

I'm a bit puzzled why loading metacello would included in the initial setup whizzard though; it seems a bit 'advanced' (maybe not the right term) to be in something to help newcomers get started.

tim
Asking whether machines can think is like asking whether submarines can swim.

Re: The Inbox: PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99.mcz

Jakob Reschke
tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 16. Feb. 2020, 02:38:

I'm a bit puzzled why loading metacello would included in the initial setup whizzard though; it seems a bit 'advanced' (maybe not the right term) to be in something to help newcomers get started.

Supposedly because it is often needed to install from GitHub. Remember the lengthy discussion about the Do menu entry that installed it?

Re: The Inbox: PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99.mcz

marcel.taeumel
Hi Dave.

Sure. Yet, would it be possible to use the shorter Installer API if not Metacello? Something like this:

Installer ss
   project: 'OSProcess';
   install.

Better not expose the Monticello API in the wizard ...

Best,
Marcel

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 09:00:56AM +0100, Jakob Reschke wrote:

> tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 16. Feb. 2020, 02:38:
>

> > I'm a bit puzzled why loading metacello would included in the initial
> > setup whizzard though; it seems a bit 'advanced' (maybe not the right term)
> > to be in something to help newcomers get started.
> >

> Supposedly because it is often needed to install from GitHub. Remember the
> lengthy discussion about the Do menu entry that installed it?

In this case, it is an understandable mistake. The SqueakSource page for
OSProcess does not explain what to download, and does not provide a link
back to the original OSProcess home page at https://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/708,
so someone looking at it would see the ConfigurationOfOSProcess entry and
quite reasonably think that they should use it.

I'll fix that.

Dave

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 05:38:09PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 2020-02-15, at 5:09 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I just noticed that the preference wizard for setting up Squeak 5.3
> > invites the user to install a Metacello configuration that was intended
> > to accommodate some earlier Pharo version, which naturally is obsolete
> > anyhow. I'd like to fix this for the Squeak release.
>

> Definitely fix it. Bugs is what we crush at this stage.

Done.

I moved three packages. The first is unrelated, but a cleanup, and I
already had it in the version hisitory so it comes along for the ride.

  MonticelloConfigurations-dtl.157
  MonticelloConfigurations-dtl.158
  PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99

> I'm a bit puzzled why loading metacello would included in the initial
> setup whizzard though; it seems a bit 'advanced' (maybe not the right
> term) to be in something to help newcomers get started.

I added some information to the OSProcess home page to clarify. Metacello
is not needed, that was just a configuration to support an earlier Pharo
version.

Dave

Re: The Inbox: PreferenceBrowser-dtl.99.mcz

David T. Lewis
Hi Marcel,

Sorry I overlooked this email. I will check and follow up.

Thanks,
Dave