The Inbox: Protocols-fbs.29.mcz

commits-2
A new version of Protocols was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Protocols-fbs.29.mcz

Name: Protocols-fbs.29
Author: fbs
Time: 13 April 2010, 4:48:47.303 pm
UUID: 149a1928-ef9d-de4b-b696-e1fe6ff52890
Ancestors: Protocols-bp.28

This commit adds the menu, "only through..." and method home buttons back to the Lexicon. It's a minimal commit that neglects any attempt at cleanup: Lexicon>>buildCustomButtonsWith: could be deleted, for instance.

One weird thing happens to me: when I file in the changeset version of this commit. hitting Cmd-P blows up with an MNU. Recompiling Lexicon>>customButtonSpec (by, say, deleting and then readding a character) fixes the problem though!

=============== Diff against Protocols-bp.28 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Lexicon>>customButtonSpecs (in category 'control buttons') -----
  customButtonSpecs
  "Answer a triplet defining buttons, in the format:

  button label
  selector to send
  help message"
  | aa |
  aa := contentsSymbol == #tiles ifTrue: [{   "Consult Ted Kaehler regarding this bit"
  {'tiles'. #tilesMenu. 'tiles for assignment and constants'. true}.
  {'vars'. #varTilesMenu. 'tiles for instance variables and a new temporary'. true}
  }] ifFalse: [#()]. "true in 4th place means act on mouseDown"

+ ^ aa,
+ {{(ScriptingSystem formAtKey: #TinyMenu) asMorph. #offerMenu. 'click here to get a menu with further options'}.
+ {self limitClassString. #chooseLimitClass. 'Governs which classes'' methods should be shown.  If this is the same as the viewed class, then only methods implemented in that class will be shown.  If it is ProtoObject, then methods of all classes in the vocabulary will be shown.'.}.},
+ #(
- ^ aa, #(
  ('follow' seeAlso 'view a method I implement that is called by this method')
  ('find' obtainNewSearchString 'find methods by name search')
  ('sent...' setSendersSearch 'view the methods I implement that send a given message')

  ('<' navigateToPreviousMethod 'view the previous active method')
  ('>' navigateToNextMethod 'view the next active method')
+ ('-' removeFromSelectorsVisited 'remove this method from my active list')),
+ {{(ScriptingSystem formAtKey: #Cat) asMorph. #showHomeCategory. 'show this method''s home category'}}.!
- ('-' removeFromSelectorsVisited 'remove this method from my active list'))!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Lexicon>>optionalButtonPairs (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
+ optionalButtonPairs
+ "Actually, return triples.  Only the custom lexicon-specific buttons are shown"
+ ^ self customButtonSpecs!

Re: The Inbox: Protocols-fbs.29.mcz

Frank Shearar
[hidden email] wrote:

> A new version of Protocols was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Protocols-fbs.29.mcz

> Name: Protocols-fbs.29
> Author: fbs
> Time: 13 April 2010, 4:48:47.303 pm
> UUID: 149a1928-ef9d-de4b-b696-e1fe6ff52890
> Ancestors: Protocols-bp.28
>
> This commit adds the menu, "only through..." and method home buttons back to the Lexicon. It's a minimal commit that neglects any attempt at cleanup: Lexicon>>buildCustomButtonsWith: could be deleted, for instance.
>
> One weird thing happens to me: when I file in the changeset version of this commit. hitting Cmd-P blows up with an MNU. Recompiling Lexicon>>customButtonSpec (by, say, deleting and then readding a character) fixes the problem though!

But loading the mcz works just fine.

Bert & Chris, I hope this is what you were looking for.

frank

Re: The Inbox: Protocols-fbs.29.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Well, it certainly solves it well-enough for what I care about, thanks Frank.

However, I will point out, IMO, that it is not as "correct" as 3.10 - 3.9 was.

The way it is supposed to work is that the preference,
#optionalButtons shows both the implementors/senders/etc..

The row of "custom" buttons that you restored are not optional, so
they should be present all the time regardless of the preference
setting.

Personally, I always have #optionalButtons turned off, so this "bug"
is invisible to me.

But certainly, what you have here is better than completely broken,
and so with respect to the greater good and our time-constraint, I
have copied this to the trunk.

 - Chris

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Frank Shearar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> A new version of Protocols was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Protocols-fbs.29.mcz

>> Name: Protocols-fbs.29
>> Author: fbs
>> Time: 13 April 2010, 4:48:47.303 pm
>> UUID: 149a1928-ef9d-de4b-b696-e1fe6ff52890
>> Ancestors: Protocols-bp.28
>>
>> This commit adds the menu, "only through..." and method home buttons back
>> to the Lexicon. It's a minimal commit that neglects any attempt at cleanup:
>> Lexicon>>buildCustomButtonsWith: could be deleted, for instance.
>>
>> One weird thing happens to me: when I file in the changeset version of
>> this commit. hitting Cmd-P blows up with an MNU. Recompiling
>> Lexicon>>customButtonSpec (by, say, deleting and then readding a character)
>> fixes the problem though!
>
> But loading the mcz works just fine.
>
> Bert & Chris, I hope this is what you were looking for.
>
> frank

Re: The Inbox: Protocols-fbs.29.mcz

Frank Shearar
I'm glad it scratches your itch.

Re correctness, I see what you mean. I always have optionalButtons enabled.

So you're saying that if optionalButtons is enabled, Lexicon should have
TWO rows of buttons - browse/senders/implementors/etc., and then "only
through"/follow/etc. below that? Hm. Much like Bert's screenshot.

OK, that'll be my next bit then!

frank

Chris Muller wrote:

> Well, it certainly solves it well-enough for what I care about, thanks Frank.
>
> However, I will point out, IMO, that it is not as "correct" as 3.10 - 3.9 was.
>
> The way it is supposed to work is that the preference,
> #optionalButtons shows both the implementors/senders/etc..
>
> The row of "custom" buttons that you restored are not optional, so
> they should be present all the time regardless of the preference
> setting.
>
> Personally, I always have #optionalButtons turned off, so this "bug"
> is invisible to me.
>
> But certainly, what you have here is better than completely broken,
> and so with respect to the greater good and our time-constraint, I
> have copied this to the trunk.
>
>  - Chris
>
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Frank Shearar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>> A new version of Protocols was added to project The Inbox:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Protocols-fbs.29.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Protocols-fbs.29
>>> Author: fbs
>>> Time: 13 April 2010, 4:48:47.303 pm
>>> UUID: 149a1928-ef9d-de4b-b696-e1fe6ff52890
>>> Ancestors: Protocols-bp.28
>>>
>>> This commit adds the menu, "only through..." and method home buttons back
>>> to the Lexicon. It's a minimal commit that neglects any attempt at cleanup:
>>> Lexicon>>buildCustomButtonsWith: could be deleted, for instance.
>>>
>>> One weird thing happens to me: when I file in the changeset version of
>>> this commit. hitting Cmd-P blows up with an MNU. Recompiling
>>> Lexicon>>customButtonSpec (by, say, deleting and then readding a character)
>>> fixes the problem though!
>> But loading the mcz works just fine.
>>
>> Bert & Chris, I hope this is what you were looking for.
>>
>> frank

Re: The Inbox: Protocols-fbs.29.mcz

Frank Shearar
Protocols-fbs.30 addresses this issue.