The Inbox: System-cbr.324.mcz

commits-2
A new version of System was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/System-cbr.324.mcz

Name: System-cbr.324
Author: cbr
Time: 1 May 2010, 1:55:40.914 am
UUID: 72de37e3-f54d-4f9e-a3a0-f9a622aa2b0f
Ancestors: System-bf.323

Added a method #toggleFullScreen to project. Convenient if you want to be able to switch between modes with a single menu item. Added to support a menu item to do the same in TheWorldMainDockingBar.

=============== Diff against System-bf.323 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: Project>>toggleFullScreen (in category 'menu messages') -----
+ toggleFullScreen
+ "Toggle between full screen and windowed mode."
+ self lastScreenModeSelected
+ ifTrue: [ self fullScreenOff ]
+ ifFalse: [ self fullScreenOn ]!

Re: The Inbox: System-cbr.324.mcz

Chris Muller-3
I love full-screen mode, there is something "zen-like" about being
completely "in" the Squeak environment rather than just "looking in
from the outside."  Unfortunately, ever since I switched to Linux I
haven't been able to use it because it prevents my switching to other
windows.  :(

With Linux, it seems a full-screen app takes over completely and
doesn't let any other windows appear on top of it for more than a
split second after using Alt+Tab.  Even worse, the full-screen window
loses keyboard focus, so you actually have to left-click somewhere to
regain control.

Windows does it right, allowing other windows on top of the full-screen window..

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:56 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A new version of System was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/System-cbr.324.mcz

> Name: System-cbr.324
> Author: cbr
> Time: 1 May 2010, 1:55:40.914 am
> UUID: 72de37e3-f54d-4f9e-a3a0-f9a622aa2b0f
> Ancestors: System-bf.323
>
> Added a method #toggleFullScreen to project. Convenient if you want to be able to switch between modes with a single menu item. Added to support a menu item to do the same in TheWorldMainDockingBar.
>
> =============== Diff against System-bf.323 ===============
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: Project>>toggleFullScreen (in category 'menu messages') -----
> + toggleFullScreen
> +       "Toggle between full screen and windowed mode."
> +       self lastScreenModeSelected
> +               ifTrue: [ self fullScreenOff ]
> +               ifFalse: [ self fullScreenOn ]!

Re: The Inbox: System-cbr.324.mcz

Casey Ransberger-2
Chris, that's exactly what caused me to put a toggle in a top level
menu, now that you mention it; I'm using Linux these days and drilling
down to the feature is too ergonomically expensive when I need to do
it in order to switch to the web browser. It's a nasty bug. Anyway I
like having the toggle (rather than separate on/of menu items, yuck)
at a top level.

Casey Ransberger

Re: The Inbox: System-cbr.324.mcz

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chris, that's exactly what caused me to put a toggle in a top level
menu, now that you mention it; I'm using Linux these days and drilling
down to the feature is too ergonomically expensive when I need to do
it in order to switch to the web browser. It's a nasty bug. Anyway I
like having the toggle (rather than separate on/of menu items, yuck)
at a top level.

I like a button in the top-left hand corner of the screen.  Find attached.  You'll have to modify the script to send toggleFullScreen to an implementor there-of (e.g. Project current instead of screenController).  And it would be great if the full screen icon didn't include a background colour.

HTH
Eliot

--
Casey Ransberger

toggleFullScreenButton.st (844 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: The Inbox: System-cbr.324.mcz

Chris Muller-3
I know there was discussion on hte list the other day talking about
how we "like" to do things via code.

Another way to do this is to simply use the duplicate handle right off
the menu item to "tear off" a copy of it, drop it anywhere on the
desktop.  Not as clean as a single "toggle" button, but still
representative of the incredible customizability of Squeak's IDE...

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Chris, that's exactly what caused me to put a toggle in a top level
>> menu, now that you mention it; I'm using Linux these days and drilling
>> down to the feature is too ergonomically expensive when I need to do
>> it in order to switch to the web browser. It's a nasty bug. Anyway I
>> like having the toggle (rather than separate on/of menu items, yuck)
>> at a top level.
>
> I like a button in the top-left hand corner of the screen.  Find attached.
>  You'll have to modify the script to send toggleFullScreen to an implementor
> there-of (e.g. Project current instead of screenController).  And it would
> be great if the full screen icon didn't include a background colour.
> HTH
> Eliot
>>
>> On Sunday, May 2, 2010, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I love full-screen mode, there is something "zen-like" about being
>> > completely "in" the Squeak environment rather than just "looking in
>> > from the outside."  Unfortunately, ever since I switched to Linux I
>> > haven't been able to use it because it prevents my switching to other
>> > windows.  :(
>> >
>> > With Linux, it seems a full-screen app takes over completely and
>> > doesn't let any other windows appear on top of it for more than a
>> > split second after using Alt+Tab.  Even worse, the full-screen window
>> > loses keyboard focus, so you actually have to left-click somewhere to
>> > regain control.
>> >
>> > Windows does it right, allowing other windows on top of the full-screen
>> > window..

>> --
>> Casey Ransberger

Re: The Inbox: System-cbr.324.mcz

Casey Ransberger-2
I take it folks are not digging the toggle in the projects menu. If I dropped the UI and resubmitted just Project>>#toggleFullScreen (the one method) do you think there'd be a better reception?

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: The Inbox: System-cbr.324.mcz

Hannes Hirzel
On 5/3/10, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like a button in the top-left hand corner of the screen.  Find attached.
>  You'll have to modify the script to send toggleFullScreen to an implementor
> there-of (e.g. Project current instead of screenController).  And it would
> be great if the full screen icon didn't include a background colour.
>
> HTH
> Eliot

I would like to have a button too. I often want to switch back and
forth. I like the full screen mode as the underlying OS is not seen
anymore.

--Hannes

Re: The Inbox: System-cbr.324.mcz

Casey Ransberger-2
Feels out of place in the Projects menu. I put it there because it sends a message to the current Project instance, but the more I look at it, it doesn't feel right there.

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/3/10, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like a button in the top-left hand corner of the screen.  Find attached.
>  You'll have to modify the script to send toggleFullScreen to an implementor
> there-of (e.g. Project current instead of screenController).  And it would
> be great if the full screen icon didn't include a background colour.
>
> HTH
> Eliot

I would like to have a button too. I often want to switch back and
forth. I like the full screen mode as the underlying OS is not seen
anymore.

--Hannes

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: The Inbox: System-cbr.324.mcz

Chris Muller-4
> I take it folks are not digging the toggle in the projects menu.

I'm not, "not digging it."  I was just lamenting about the nice
flexibility of the Squeak IDE inherited from Morphs "prototype"
property that, I think, may not used a lot by developers.  I actually
haven't had time to look at the Inbox in a while, because I've been
deep into another Squeak issue lately.  I have no strong opinions
about menu items in the menu bar.

Regards,
  Chris